What's new

absolutely love this truehoop piece on tanking

Nerd must be rolling over in his grave.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235820/Magic-Johnson-Hopes-Lakers-Lose-Enough-To-Keep-Pick

Magic Johnson hopes the Los Angeles Lakers lose enough games to keep their first round pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.

The pick will go to the Phoenix Suns if it falls out of the top-5 as part of the Steve Nash trade.

"I hope the Lakers lose every game," Johnson said, according to Newsday. "Because if you're going to lose, lose. I'm serious."

The Lakers have dealt with a number of injuries, including seventh overall pick Julius Randle.

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack," Johnson said. "You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick."

Johnson believes the Lakers are in a position to quickly improve their roster.

"The Lakers are in a good space, too, next summer if they can sign or trade for a talented guy," he said. "I'd rather be all the way bad than be in the middle."

No way are Lakers bottom 5 in the league without tanking. It's an epidemic and Magic is a dirty tanker!

Last edited:
Nerd must be rolling over in his grave.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235820/Magic-Johnson-Hopes-Lakers-Lose-Enough-To-Keep-Pick

No way are Lakers bottom 5 in the league without tanking. It's an epidemic and Magic is a dirty tanker!

Well I'm not going to completely kill him for his statement. After all I was a dirty tanker last year. Lol. I went to the game against the magic and showed disgust when Burke hit that corner three buzzer beater to win the game then getting chewed out by some lady in front of me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm not going to completely kill him for his statement. After all I was a dirty tanker last year. Lol. I went to the game against the magic and showed disgust when Burke hit that corner three buzzer beater to win the game then getting chewed out by some lady in front of me. :)

Also think most of us were dirty tankers. Lol

Me and spycam went to a game against the charlotte jefferhornicats and were rooting for the jazz to lose. The Jazz ended up winning and we were pissed.
People were giving us alot of dirty looks.

It was fun

I according to this article

If your team drafted in the top five, you had a one-in-four chance of snagging one of the future All-NBA candidates on the list above.

Then tanking seems like the best option for small market teams. 1 in 4 is great odds especially if you just keep tanking year after year until you get one of those players. 4 years of being bad on average to get a future all nba franchise player to build around. In the mean time if you dont get an all nba player you get solid young players with talent to put around your all nba player when you get him. All you need at that point is to get some solid vets and you have a playoff team. If you get really lucky you get a lebron, kobe, MJ, Duncan type player and you win championships. Seems like the only option for small market teams.

Side note, seeing the success of the Duncan era Spurs makes you think if Jazz had their hofers in this era Jazz would have a few championships, just bad luck when we got our hofers. Hopefully we draft another HOFer and have the luck of not having to compete against the GOAT for championships.

Pretty sure you flip-flopped from your previous opinion on tanking once Utah adopted the strategy, no? I seem to remember you being a pretty hardcore anti-tanker.

The epidemic continues:

https://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/285309441.html
-
“When you’re doing a rebuild, it’s not pleasant for anybody,” Saunders said. “It’s not pleasant for fans, for you guys [media members], for coaches, for players. But sometimes you’re forced to do some things that maybe you didn’t plan on doing. Hopefully what you do is, I have to have patience understanding that. Fans have to have patience — and everyone has to have patience — in understanding what that does mean.”

After we let Al and Millsap walk there was no chance we were getting quick fixes, plus I do remember throwing a tirade as I no longer wanted to watch the Al Jefferson offense or defense, and grew tired of Millsap's sulking, because Favors was stealing some of Millsaps 4th quarter mins.

We weren't going to sign a star, and I didn't want the Jazz to trade Al and Millsap for other like high priced players that wouldn't get the Jazz over the top and cause us to not be able to keep the core together as I felt, and still feel they are the future.

The Jazz did what I wanted in regards to Al and sap... Let them walk.

After we let Al and Millsap walk there was no chance we were getting quick fixes, plus I do remember throwing a tirade as I no longer wanted to watch the Al Jefferson offense or defense, and grew tired of Millsap's sulking, because Favors was stealing some of Millsaps 4th quarter mins.

We weren't going to sign a star, and I didn't want the Jazz to trade Al and Millsap for other like high priced players that wouldn't get the Jazz over the top and cause us to not be able to keep the core together as I felt, and still feel they are the future.

The Jazz did what I wanted in regards to Al and sap... Let them walk.

Hope that explains my stance on my change of heart. For the most part I still don't agree with tanking. But I do understand there is a time and place for it

What also is failed to mention sometimes in the tanking discussion, is that regardless of what your chances are at landing a franchise player if you tank, tanking is still beneficial because it increases the value of your draft pick. It might even mean the difference between losing your pick or having a top 5 pick.

You don't have to make that pick. A top5 pick in any draft has a ton of value and can be used to make a trade.

Tanking> middle ground, every day of the week. If you know you might have a chance in the playoffs, then go for it and trade picks to get help. If you know you can't and are pretty mediocre, then tank, and go the other way. Sitting in the middle is dumb imo.

Hope that explains my stance on my change of heart. For the most part I still don't agree with tanking. But I do understand there is a time and place for it

Yep, there is a time and a place. Utah missed the right time, and now the chance for a quick rebuild is gone. Jazz fans could be in for a long rebuild if we don't have some serious luck with our draft picks, and soon.

What also is failed to mention sometimes in the tanking discussion, is that regardless of what your chances are at landing a franchise player if you tank, tanking is still beneficial because it increases the value of your draft pick. It might even mean the difference between losing your pick or having a top 5 pick.

You don't have to make that pick. A top5 pick in any draft has a ton of value and can be used to make a trade.

Tanking> middle ground, every day of the week. If you know you might have a chance in the playoffs, then go for it and trade picks to get help. If you know you can't and are pretty mediocre, then tank, and go the other way. Sitting in the middle is dumb imo.

And are we sitting in the middle? IIRC, the Jazz got a top-5 pick last year. How exactly would they guarantee a top-5 pick this season. Dump Favors, Hayward and Burks for 2nd rounders? At what point do we STOP dumping players and "unfortunately" end up with a pick in the 8-12 range and then, heaven forbid, maybe even challenge for a playoff spot? What happens if that #2 pick turns out to be Evan Turner instead of Demarcus Cousins? I'd say last year's draft is a good example of talent all the way to #10 (or maybe even further) being as good as #4 or #5. Is Gordon going to better than Randle? Maybe. Heck, Exum may not even be as good as Smart or Payton. We certainly hope that's not the case.

I think you cam make a case for this year's draft being very similar: three consensus guys at the top (for now). But 4-10 is anyone's guess. Jazz could get a star at #4. They could get one at #8. They could also get a bust at either spot.

Yep, there is a time and a place. Utah missed the right time, and now the chance for a quick rebuild is gone. Jazz fans could be in for a long rebuild if we don't have some serious luck with our draft picks, and soon.
If exum turns out to be awesome, then we can be contenders. If not, we need luck with the next could draft picks to be better than mediocre. Right now we have two guys who are pretty good, and a couple potential guys. That is about it. Everyone else is just filler.

And are we sitting in the middle? IIRC, the Jazz got a top-5 pick last year. How exactly would they guarantee a top-5 pick this season. Dump Favors, Hayward and Burks for 2nd rounders? At what point do we STOP dumping players and "unfortunately" end up with a pick in the 8-12 range and then, heaven forbid, maybe even challenge for a playoff spot? What happens if that #2 pick turns out to be Evan Turner instead of Demarcus Cousins? I'd say last year's draft is a good example of talent all the way to #10 (or maybe even further) being as good as #4 or #5. Is Gordon going to better than Randle? Maybe. Heck, Exum may not even be as good as Smart or Payton. We certainly hope that's not the case.
I don't know what team you have been watching, but the team I follow is headed for another top five pick this next summer.

I think you cam make a case for this year's draft being very similar: three consensus guys at the top (for now). But 4-10 is anyone's guess. Jazz could get a star at #4. They could get one at #8. They could also get a bust at either spot.

I don't know what team you have been watching, but the team I follow is headed for another top five pick this next summer.

Lol

Ya, we are currently 6