What's new

Addressing our deficit at power forward

Release the Kraken

So, though I am a huge proponent of the Exum/Clarkson trade and I can understand the basis for the Jeff Green waiver, the net result is that our undersized team just got smaller. I mean I think I realize now that it's Juwan Morgan that will be called up to address the need at power forward and that Oni or Tucker goes to the Stars. But Morgan is 6'7" or 6'8", 231 lbs, and both he and Niang will struggle on defense against the AD's, Unicorn's etc., and could struggle in the paint getting their shot off as well. And our other power forwards are undersized as well, O'Neale is 6'4" and Brantley is only 6'5". Ingles is 6'8" but no match for the high flyers. We seem to be loaded with wings and wing types. And unfortunately, utilizing Ed Davis at power forward is kind of counterproductive as he doesn't space the floor and has no range.

Last edited:
Someone like Markieff Morris is quietly having a good season. Neither of the brothers are amazing rebounders, but he’s making a bit over $3M. Marcus slowly worked his way up into being a solid piece. Markieff may be lost in that shadow but he’s shooting the three well. Not sure what his D is like compared to his brother. Another one is that Christian Wood.

My feeling is that the addition of Jordan Clarkson and Rayjon Tucker will render Mudiay superfluous. I propose sending Mudiay to the Thunder straight up for 6'11" Mike Muscala. They do it because they have plenty of bigs, Mudiay is expiring and Muscala's numbers are way down this year in under ten minutes a game. I believe the fact that they've made him primarily a center on their team has accounted mostly for the decline. He was a pretty good stretch four for the Lakers last season.

Someone like Markieff Morris is quietly having a good season. Neither of the brothers are amazing rebounders, but he’s making a bit over $3M. Marcus slowly worked his way up into being a solid piece. Markieff may be lost in that shadow but he’s shooting the three well. Not sure what his D is like compared to his brother. Another one is that Christian Wood.

I always hear Marcus mentioned around here but Markieff makes a lot more sense and attainable with our contracts.

There still is no real PF on the roster. That alone cost Utah three-four games so far.

But if we weren't playing our best players regardless of position we would have lost more than 3 or 4 games. Or are your suggesting this 'real' power forward would play over Ingles or Bogey? If not then the 'real' power forward won't be playing crunch time minutes. We really talking about 10-15 minutes of backup 4 playing time. I think we are going to see if Niang can do it.

I see our main bench lineup as Mudiay-Clarkson-Insert a starter-Niang-Davis.

For now it's Royce, Niang, Morgan, and Brantley as the potential backups.

I don't see the Jazz making anymore significant trades. They just don't have the picks. Maybe they swap Clarkson out for a 4?

Likely the main 2nd unit, if they were to all out he on the floor together, is going to be:

Mudiay
Clarkson
Oneale
Niang
Davis

I still don't think it would take too much to trade for Alfarouq Aminu. He's been languishing on Orlando's bench before getting injured. He's got two more years left on his deal after this one though. He'd also have to be healthy, obviously. He's a good defender and rebounder who can guard athletic wings and 4s.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/al-farouq-aminu-6890/

Always liked him and thought he represented good value. But that was primarily back in the Clipper days when he was making about three a year. Not to say I don't think he's worth what he's getting paid, I'm just not sure what we'd package for him.

The whole idea of this roster isn't to match size with the AD's and Greek Freaks of the world. It's to stretch opponents out around Rudy and cause offensive mismatches for ourselves. We really haven't been burned by anyones size advantage this season. Unless you count the game where Giannis dropped 50 on us. Gobert didn't play in that game though. That's the only reason he dropped 50.

We just need a backup PF who is a dawg. Someone who is the exact opposite of Niang. We don't need another stretch option in that spot. We need someone who plays defense and produces hustle stats (deflections, steals, blocks). A lack of hustle stats has hurt us this season. Last time I checked we were dead last in the NBA in deflections, steals and blocks. That hurts. When you can create turnovers you score more points. And more easy points.

That's a reason why I've been wanting Brantley to play. He's scrappy and tough. He'd give us some of what we're missing.

For now it's Royce, Niang, Morgan, and Brantley as the potential backups.

I don't see the Jazz making anymore significant trades. They just don't have the picks. Maybe they swap Clarkson out for a 4?

Likely the main 2nd unit, if they were to all out he on the floor together, is going to be:

Mudiay
Clarkson
Oneale
Niang
Davis

You could do a lot worse on the second unit.

I still don't think it would take too much to trade for Alfarouq Aminu. He's been languishing on Orlando's bench before getting injured. He's got two more years left on his deal after this one though. He'd also have to be healthy, obviously. He's a good defender and rebounder who can guard athletic wings and 4s.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/al-farouq-aminu-6890/

He also doesn’t turn 30 til next September so he’d fit in with our timeline fairly well.

Davis and Niang x 125% is only 8.057M though and Aminu makes 9.258M. No way to do this trade inmy estimation since we’re so far off % wise.

Here's an outrageously offensive idea :mad::mad:
Jazz now have Conley, Mudiay, Clarkson, Tucker, O'Neal, JWF, Onie, etc. :mad::mad:
What about trading Mitchell for a young all star caliber PF type player. :mad::mad:
It would have to be an incredible player cause I love Donovan and this is a way outside the box idea. :mad::mad:
Who would that be? :mad::mad:
I'm thinking like a Zion type player. :mad::mad:

Here's an outrageously offensive idea :mad::mad:
Jazz now have Conley, Mudiay, Clarkson, Tucker, O'Neal, JWF, Onie, etc. :mad::mad:
What about trading Mitchell for a young all star caliber PF type player. :mad::mad:
It would have to be an incredible player cause I love Donovan and this is a way outside the box idea. :mad::mad:
Who would that be? :mad::mad:
I'm thinking like a Zion type player. :mad::mad:

You're correct. That is an outside the box offensive idea. Put it back in the box and leave it there.

FO had to put Green and Niang in package for Wood. Now we have no chance to get him by the end of season. The guy respect a lot - in today's game 22 pts 7 r in 23 min at high efficiency.