What's new

Al in the Pick and Roll

Locke said the scouts he talked to rate Jefferson as a better defender than Boozer and equates a lot of his defensive woes to recovery from his knee surgery and being out of shape.

We'll see. I'd like to see Deron Williams bring him to the training facility and go over pick and roll stuff.

We'll see. I'd like to see Deron Williams bring him to the training facility and go over pick and roll stuff.

Yeah, well Id like to see Carrie Underwood and Scarlett Johansson go at it in an X rated film, but wanting to see something doesnt mean it'll happen.

Yeah, well Id like to see Carrie Underwood and Scarlett Johansson go at it in an X rated film, but wanting to see something doesnt mean it'll happen.

I think Williams and Jefferson meeting before training camp is much more likely to happen than that...

David Locke can be so damn annoying sometimes. He tries to make everything crazy hard and make himself look brilliant. All that work and effort could have been summed up simply by saying something like this, "Al Jefferson will do more than well in the pick and roll system with Deron. I'm excited to watch him play for the Jazz." There, done, nuff said.

Everyone hates Locke because he is so arrogant. I like some of his stats. It shows a lot of the story. Some of them are worthless but its good to hear something different in sports.

I just wish Locke wasn't as arrogant.

Locke said the scouts he talked to rate Jefferson as a better defender than Boozer and equates a lot of his defensive woes to recovery from his knee surgery and being out of shape.

Injury? He sucked on D before the injury.

P.S.--How great will this trade feel if AJ goes down for the season in early December? <ducks>

A week ago, Locke was not impressed with AJ as a replacement for Boozer. Apparently the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence.

Injury? He sucked on D before the injury.

P.S.--How great will this trade feel if AJ goes down for the season in early December? <ducks>

The scout also said McHale really got Jefferson to improve his defense and progress was lost when he went down.

I've been down on Jefferson because of his defense. Maybe under Sloan he'll end up better than Boozer. Not an amazing goal to go after, but it's something.

Locke wishes he was Hollinger, and I tune out when he floats his personal metrics, but this study is actually pretty informative.

Remember guys, the Jazz win because of their system and Jefferson WILL NOT fit this system. He just won't. As per NUMBERICA.

A week ago, Locke was not impressed with AJ as a replacement for Boozer. Apparently the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence.

He's either a corporate homer, or his analysis was shoddy to begin with, calling into question all of his other "analysis".

I'm going with option "C".

I liked the stats. Though he brushed over AJ having 5 turnovers out of 22 times he attacked the basket off a pick and roll. I feel that's sort of high. Maybe I'm wrong.

It appears to have more to do with Locke sitting down and analyzing Jefferson's plays. Which is what I wish that Sloan would do more for PF/C or 5-player combinations. He just might discover that a big reason that Utah tends to drop games against young athletic teams and the Lakers is that Boozer + Okur and Boozer + Millsap can be a big liability on help defense.

Developing and playing more height would circumvent that--and better perimeter defense (which hopefully bringing back Bell will bolster) makes help D important but less so.

Last edited:
I liked the stats. Though he brushed over AJ having 5 turnovers out of 22 times he attacked the basket off a pick and roll. I feel that's sort of high. Maybe I'm wrong.

He didn't brush over that. He said most of them were bad passes from the Minny PG's and the TO's got charged to Al.