What's new

Al Jefferson?

I'm just trying to figure out why most people are looking for a power forward to replace Boozer? I like AL, but if we are going to spend big money shouldn't it be for a starting Center, SG, or SF? We already have Millsap and AK at the PF spot.

I'm just trying to figure out why most people are looking for a power forward to replace Boozer? I like AL, but if we are going to spend big money shouldn't it be for a starting Center, SG, or SF? We already have Millsap and AK at the PF spot.

This. We re-upped Millsap for a reason. Trading for AI, who plays no defense, would be stupid.

Last edited:

he's big and he might be available for cheap. at 6-10, he can't play center? sorry, i really know nothing about his ability to play defense.

This. We re-upped Millsap for a reason. Trading for AI, who plays no defense, would be stupid.

It's called depth, sweetheart.

Boozer and Millsap is better than just Millsap, regardless of the former's inability to play defense. The same could be said for Jefferson and Millsap being better than just Millsap - that is, assuming that Jefferson can learn how to run the pick-and-roll instead of being a pure post-up guy.

Boozer and Millsap is better than just Millsap, regardless of the former's inability to play defense. The same could be said for Jefferson and Millsap being better than just Millsap - that is, assuming that Jefferson can learn how to run the pick-and-roll instead of being a pure post-up guy.

Depth is nice, but it usually comes after you have all 5 starting spots solidified.

True. Let's bring on AJ's contract and have him come off the bench. Or vice-versa. I'm sure the Millers would love that idea.

If we have the intention of building a championship caliber team and developing players, it's one of the most retarded things we could do.

Depth is going after Udonis Haslem at half the price moran.

True. Let's bring on AJ's contract and have him come off the bench. Or vice-versa. I'm sure the Millers would love that idea.

If we have the intention of building a championship caliber team and developing players, it's one of the most retarded things we could do.

Depth is going after Udonis Haslem at half the price moran.

Millsap has been coming off the bench his entire career, and he was going to continue coming off the bench if Boozer had been re-signed. He'd deal with it. What I'm saying is, getting Jefferson would essentially give us the exact same scenario we would have had if Boozer had been re-upped - which is better than what we have now. Optimal? No. But it definitely makes the Jazz a better team. Somehow you seem to be refuting the obvious fact that Jefferson + Millsap is, yes, better depth than Millsap + ????? Would signing Haslem instead of Jefferson also provide us with depth? Yes, and I wouldn't be against that, either.

I understand the priority is on getting a center, but the fact is there are few (if any) serviceable centers that we would even be able to get our hands on at this point.

And though Jefferson cannot play the 5 full-time, he can certainly do so when we go to our small lineup, and is obviously better equipped to do so than Boozer was.

Oh, and it's spelled "moron," moron.

Millsap has been coming off the bench his entire career, and he was going to continue coming off the bench if Boozer had been re-signed. He'd deal with it. What I'm saying is, getting Jefferson would essentially give us the exact same scenario we would have had if Boozer had been re-upped - which is better than what we have now. Optimal? No. But it definitely makes the Jazz a better team. Somehow you seem to be refuting the obvious fact that Jefferson + Millsap is, yes, better depth than Millsap + ????? Would signing Haslem instead of Jefferson also provide us with depth? Yes, and I wouldn't be against that, either.

I understand the priority is on getting a center, but the fact is there are few (if any) serviceable centers that we would even be able to get our hands on at this point.

And though Jefferson cannot play the 5 full-time, he can certainly do so when we go to our small lineup, and is obviously better equipped to do so than Boozer was.

Oh, and it's spelled "moron," moron.

I don't like Jefferson for us anyways. If we did not have Millsap I would say we should. Unless we can trade Millsap for a Center I see no point in doing this. I see this move being a lateral move. Doesn't really get us over the hump. And if we are going to take on a big contract I want it to be able to give us the potential to get over the hump and contend because if it doesn't give us that chance than his contract won't allow us to add "that" piece that we need in the future. It sacrifices our options. I know a lot of fans want to just make a move and get more talent. But we need someone who will complement Millsap and Jefferson does not do that for us. Adding more talent doesn't win championships always. It has to fit with the rest of the team.

I don't like Jefferson for us anyways. If we did not have Millsap I would say we should. Unless we can trade Millsap for a Center I see no point in doing this. I see this move being a lateral move. Doesn't really get us over the hump. And if we are going to take on a big contract I want it to be able to give us the potential to get over the hump and contend because if it doesn't give us that chance than his contract won't allow us to add "that" piece that we need in the future. It sacrifices our options. I know a lot of fans want to just make a move and get more talent. But we need someone who will complement Millsap and Jefferson does not do that for us. Adding more talent doesn't win championships always. It has to fit with the rest of the team.

Provided he could adapt to a pick-and-roll offense (admittedly a question mark), Jefferson would be a MASSIVE offensive upgrade over Millsap, and Millsap could go back to doing what he does best - being a hard-working backup/sixth man. And please remember that AK's contract comes off the books after the season no matter what - and that we may trade him THIS season anyway. And that Okur's deal becomes an expiring contract (and thus a VERY tradeable asset) next summer as well. So no, getting Jefferson would NOT prohibit the Jazz from making a significant move this year or the next.

Provided he could adapt to a pick-and-roll offense (admittedly a question mark), Jefferson would be a MASSIVE offensive upgrade over Millsap, and Millsap could go back to doing what he does best - being a hard-working backup/sixth man. And please remember that AK's contract comes off the books after the season no matter what - and that we may trade him THIS season anyway. And that Okur's deal becomes an expiring contract (and thus a VERY tradeable asset) next summer as well. So no, getting Jefferson would NOT prohibit the Jazz from making a significant move this year or the next.

I see where you are coming from but if we traded for Jefferson we would not be able to make any more moves. Unless its a trade.

Next year you are right. But I am talking about how Millsap provides a lot for his contract. Even comparable to Jefferson. Millsap is a better defender and he is not a black hole. Millsap passes the ball. Jefferson does not. Jefferson would hurt us in many ways but his length and scoring would help. I just see Jefferson the same as keeping Boozer except the ball movement would not be as good with Jefferson. I would rather keep Millsap and let him play 1 full year starting. use the money to get a wing player or Center. Unless we can trade the exemption for him. But that is pretty much impossible. Wolves aren't over the luxury even after there moves. They are looking to trade for talent in return. And we have nothing to offer them.
So it doesn't really matter anyways. We have nothing for them.

The hard part with Jefferson is that we just let Jefferson walk (without matching that is.) The post from Salty Dawg about "who's worth $80M if Boozer isn't showed that there is a problem. There are essentially no $80M players (Jefferson appears to be one), there are $100+ players for certain and a lot of $50 and below. AND if we are going to spend that kind of money our team is ready for a non Boozer replacement. Since we do have Milsap who is a pretty good Boozer for $32M then lets spend the Money on a significantly different player. The worse problem is there aren't any centers to spend our money on. We'll see. So the question is: Does Jefferson do something for your team that Boozer could not?

It actually feels like Jefferson would be a "rebound relationship."

And by the way on this board "moron" is in fact spelled "moran" as a running thing from some post some time ago.

The hard part with Jefferson is that we just let Jefferson walk (without matching that is.

the commitment to Jefferson would be for 3 years and $42 million. what did Boozer get? 5, 6 years? big difference. next summer the expiration of Jefferson's deal will already be on the horizon. oh, and he's younger than Boozer.

Getting Jefferson would be amazing for us. Probably that would be best case scenario. The guy is a great talent, and he would absolutely play C for us. He is legit 6-10 and has 9-2 reach with 7-3 wingspan. Basically same size as Okafor, and has shot blocking abilities also. But a lot younger and is a much better offensive player. Between him, Koufos, and Fess, we will be set at C for years to come. Will we actually get him? Of course not. Soon there will be report that someone else got him for a second round pick or something, with Jazz sticking to their guns and hoping that internal improvement of CJ Miles and Matthews will push us over the top next year, in spite of losing 20-10 guy for nothing in return and most likely also losing NBA's best 3 point shooter. Why not call Wolves now and offer AK47 (or trade exception) and a first rounder for Jefferson? Now maybe KOC did that, maybe not, but if a guy is traded to someone else for second round pick and change (like Beasley was), he probably didn't do it, did he?

Getting Jefferson would be amazing for us. Probably that would be best case scenario. The guy is a great talent, and he would absolutely play C for us. He is legit 6-10 and has 9-2 reach with 7-3 wingspan. Basically same size as Okafor, and has shot blocking abilities also. But a lot younger and is a much better offensive player. Between him, Koufos, and Fess, we will be set at C for years to come. Will we actually get him? Of course not. Soon there will be report that someone else got him for a second round pick or something, with Jazz sticking to their guns and hoping that internal improvement of CJ Miles and Matthews will push us over the top next year, in spite of losing 20-10 guy for nothing in return and most likely also losing NBA's best 3 point shooter. Why not call Wolves now and offer AK47 (or trade exception) and a first rounder for Jefferson? Now maybe KOC did that, maybe not, but if a guy is traded to someone else for second round pick and change (like Beasley was), he probably didn't do it, did he?

BEASLEY WAS NOT JUST TRADED FOR A 2ND ROUND PICK! How many times do I have to say that on this board. READ THE ARTICLE!

Stop bashing the Front office for nothing. The Wolves gave the Heat the right to swap first round picks. It is protected but I will most likely be a late lottery pick when its all said and done. Did we have something better to offer? NO!

Wolves will not trade him for nothing. I promise you that.

The Jazz are very unlikely to use the Boozer TPE on Al Jefferson. Too much luxury tax to pay. I wouldn't recommend it either.

But, AK for Jefferson and a protected 1st could work.

Sloan sometimes or often plays two PFs together as a small-ball frontline and Jefferson+Millap will be better than Millsap+AK.

As to Millsap (not) starting, not only has he backed up Boozer, he knew when he signed that Portland offer sheet that he would've backed up Aldridge. Sap will deal with it. Or Jefferson coming off the bench won't be so bad either. And with Sap's pretty reliable jump shot, I also won't rule out starting him at SF alongside Jefferson (nothing wrong with making Hayward fight for time like Matthews and a rookie AK, instead of just handing it to him on a silver platter).

The Jazz are very unlikely to use the Boozer TPE on Al Jefferson. Too much luxury tax to pay. I wouldn't recommend it either.

But, AK for Jefferson and a protected 1st could work.

Sloan sometimes or often plays two PFs together as a small-ball frontline and Jefferson+Millap will be better than Millsap+AK.

As to Millsap (not) starting, not only has he backed up Boozer, he knew when he signed that Portland offer sheet that he would've backed up Aldridge. Sap will deal with it. Or Jefferson coming off the bench won't be so bad either. And with Sap's pretty reliable jump shot, I also won't rule out starting him at SF alongside Jefferson (nothing wrong with making Hayward fight for time like Matthews and a rookie AK, instead of just handing it to him on a silver platter).

Millsap playing SF is a horrible idea. And anyone who has watched him play SF would know that. Millsap does not have the lateral quickness to guard SF's. Sloan tried it during the first few years and he got burnt. Not an option.

BEASLEY WAS NOT JUST TRADED FOR A 2ND ROUND PICK! How many times do I have to say that on this board. READ THE ARTICLE!

Stop bashing the Front office for nothing. The Wolves gave the Heat the right to swap first round picks. It is protected but I will most likely be a late lottery pick when its all said and done. Did we have something better to offer? NO!

Wolves will not trade him for nothing. I promise you that.

I did say 2nd rounder and change :). Look, I already mentioned this could be a lottery pick in another thread, so I agree, perhaps there was nothing we could do. With that said, after that I learned It looks like Wolves have 7 years to give it to them though. Miami needs cheap and good players NOW. Maybe if KOC offered unprotected pick next year or Memphis pick (which could be in lottery), it would be more attractive to Heat than a possible lottery pick 7 years from now. After all, they need cheap guys, who are good in the next 5 years, when James, Bosh, and Wade are there and they don't have money for anyone else, not 7 years from now. So, while I am not going to bash FO for losing out on Beasley, just because there is a chance KOC offered our first rounder to them, I am pretty sure he didn't. Most likely Jazz did not even look at Michael, since he had some off court issues. Whatever.

The point here is, if Jefferson is traded for a chump change to someone else, KOC and Greg Miller should be castrated.

I did say 2nd rounder and change :). Look, I already mentioned this could be a lottery pick in another thread, so I agree, perhaps there was nothing we could do. With that said, after that I learned It looks like Wolves have 7 years to give it to them though. Miami needs cheap and good players NOW. Maybe if KOC offered unprotected pick next year or Memphis pick (which could be in lottery), it would be more attractive to Heat than a possible lottery pick 7 years from now. After all, they need cheap guys, who are good in the next 5 years, when James, Bosh, and Wade are there and they don't have money for anyone else, not 7 years from now. So, while I am not going to bash FO for losing out on Beasley, just because there is a chance KOC offered our first rounder to them, I am pretty sure he didn't. Most likely Jazz did not even look at Michael, since he had some off court issues. Whatever.

The point here is, if Jefferson is traded for a chump change to someone else, KOC and Greg Miller should be castrated.

Its not even a discussion. If Jefferson was going to be traded for nothing it would of already happened. Wolves are fielding calls trying to find the best deal. They are not unloading him. It would of already been done.