What's new

Alec Burks and the Man, the Plan

I think Burks will fit in great with the new team. Why?

Alec, when healthy can:

1. Put pressure on the rim, finish, draw fouls, or both.
2. Is actually really good with catch and shoots from 3.
3. Has shown signs of being a really good on-ball defender. With a front court of Derrick and Rudy, that's what is asked of our guards. They pressure the ball hard, but if their man beats them they're hesitant about facing the Wasatch Front.
4. Alec plays with pace, which Quin is still intrigued with. We played slow to learn concepts and build habits, and it is what a rookie PG and Trey could do. With Alec, Bryce, and possibly Neto, as well as having Hood being healthy and likely taking more of slo mo's minutes. i expect we'll play a little faster next year.

Alec just needs to work on passing and using the pick, but it sounds like he has been learning a lot in his time off the floor.
I totally agree on the 3 point shooting. Burks is an underrated 3 point threat. For whatever reason, most fans talk about Burks as though he's a 22% 3 point shooter. Honestly, he's no Josh Smith from deep.

Whenever Burks shoots in a catch-and-shoot, I expect it to go in (just like whenever Trey puts up a shot, my first thought is "rebound!"). Burks has had a habit of taking a lot of wild midrange shots. I think he's correcting that.

Am I the only one that thinks we might see a 3 guard rotation with: Exum, Hood, and Burks next year? It wouldn't have worked in Corbin's or Sloan's (Johnson's) offense. But it might with Quinn's. If Alec comes back strong, and we don't make any major changes, I want to see these 3 each get 30+ minutes a game. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see them try it. I love the idea of having 2 of your 3 best guards on the floor at any given time (like Magic, Cooper, and Scott or Isiah, Dumars, and Microwave). These guys might have the right mix of speed and versatility to pull it off. The way Quinn used Hood at the end of the season makes me wonder. Feel free to flame away. Just my opinion.

Am I the only one that thinks we might see a 3 guard rotation with: Exum, Hood, and Burks next year?

I honestly don't know why that wouldn't work in any system but that aside I am sure we will see it. Hood saw minutes at SF this year some with Burke & Exum playing the 1 & 2 so see no reason why he wouldn't play with Exum & Burks.

To me I didn't hear any attitude that you guys heard, Locke didn't sound like he took exception or was worried with any of Alec's responses to his questions and Alec was just honest and sounded a little excited about next season. He's still Alec and has the low mumble voice but he seems more mature and had more thought out answers (as opposed to his traditional 3-5 word answers).

Also I don't hear as much of Locke as most of you guys so it is very possible I missed it but I don't remember hearing Locke being overall negative towards Burks he has mentioned some stats over the years like defense and needing to improve his shooting/FT's but would have something positive to say like % of possessions ending at the FT or catch & shoot 3pt % for example. I also remember Locke talking about Burks in his draft analysis and saying Burks could be one of the biggest sleepers in the draft but also saying he could also be a bust if he couldn't adapt his game to the NBA, my point being I think he has a rooting interest in him because of that.

Also I don't hear as much of Locke as most of you guys so it is very possible I missed it but I don't remember hearing Locke being overall negative towards Burks he has mentioned some stats over the years like defense and needing to improve his shooting/FT's but would have something positive to say like % of possessions ending at the FT or catch & shoot 3pt % for example. I also remember Locke talking about Burks in his draft analysis and saying Burks could be one of the biggest sleepers in the draft but also saying he could also be a bust if he couldn't adapt his game to the NBA, my point being I think he has a rooting interest in him because of that.

I think the one most people remember Locke saying that there was a good chance that Burks may never be as good as Randy Foye. Pretty harsh, I'd be unhappy with Locke too if I were Alec haha!

I think the one most people remember Locke saying that there was a good chance that Burks may never be as good as Randy Foye. Pretty harsh, I'd be unhappy with Locke too if I were Alec haha!

I think Locke is more critical of Burks than the other youngs And he does not seem to recognize that.

Locke is about as critical of Burks as he is anyone else. Hayward and Favors just proved themselves this year and Burks hasn't, so he is going to have more questions around him. I doubt Burks reads anyway.

Am I the only one that thinks we might see a 3 guard rotation with: Exum, Hood, and Burks next year?
Can either Hood or Burks guard the opposing PG if they're on the court together?
I think it's more realistic to look at a wing rotation of Hood, Hayward and Burks, with some Ingles thrown in as needed. At PG, I think Exun will get his usual mins and Trey and Cotton will split the remaining time.

Can either Hood or Burks guard the opposing PG if they're on the court together?
I think it's more realistic to look at a wing rotation of Hood, Hayward and Burks, with some Ingles thrown in as needed. At PG, I think Exun will get his usual mins and Trey and Cotton will split the remaining time.

Burks has the quickness, but it's still a big question mark. I guess I'm optimistic that he can improve his technique with the right coaching. Does he struggle more guarding point guards than two guards? I'm not sure. Maybe.

I like the wing rotation too.

Burks has the quickness, but it's still a big question mark. I guess I'm optimistic that he can improve his technique with the right coaching. Does he struggle more guarding point guards than two guards? I'm not sure. Maybe.

I like the wing rotation too.

Burks biggest defensive weakness is guarding screens, so I would assume him guarding a PG would be an absolute disaster.

Burks must become effective off the ball defensively. If he does not improve in that area, he could derail our defensive culture a little bit or at least become a big time liability.

The best defense I have seen Burks play in his career was against cp3 and lillard

LOL- no it hasn't. If anything Utah's reputation has taken a step back with the Kanter fiasco. Yeah, it's been well documented that Kanter is a big baby but when it comes to issues between players and management, the players are going to side or at least empathize with the player 99% of the time. In spite of the source, when a player comes out and demands a trade and says he was never happy somewhere, then, like it or not, it resonates around the league.

Except nearly all the other players on the Jazz roster were vocal about Kanter being full of crap. Your argument is invalid.