What's new

All Aboard the 2019-2020 Trans UJ Express Championship Trolley

lakers showed tonight that if you go at them just with SOME intensity and energy, they are simply too old to keep up. so still a good chance for us to turn the matchup around

Weird scheduling this season. We finished our series with the Bucks in the first month, and will have finished our series against the 76ers, Magic, Nets, GSW, Kings, Hornets and Pacers, and played the Clips, Pels and Minny 3 times each, all before we play any of the teams from Texas, and we still haven't played Denver at all!

But come Jan 25, in the next month we play almost nobody but teams from Texas, plus Denver and Portland:

Dallas x2
Houston x3 (the whole season series in under a month!)
San Antonio x2
Denver x2
Portland x2
and Miami and Phoenix

Weird scheduling this season. We finished our series with the Bucks in the first month, and will have finished our series against the 76ers, Magic, Nets, GSW, Kings, Hornets and Pacers, and played the Clips, Pels and Minny 3 times each, all before we play any of the teams from Texas, and we still haven't played Denver at all!

But come Jan 25, in the next month we play almost nobody but teams from Texas, plus Denver and Portland:

Dallas x2
Houston x3 (the whole season series in under a month!)
San Antonio x2
Denver x2
Portland x2
and Miami and Phoenix
Sounds like we need a hitman to take care fo the competition...

I’m thinking over the next five or six weeks, we’ll start to hear many here again say how we need a 4 who can defend and rebound.

This part of the schedule has a lot of really good offenses and let’s face it, we’re only 10th in defensive efficiency despite an easy schedule to this point.

upload_2020-1-16_6-20-37.png

Last edited:
I went back six seasons. Every season, at least one team who is top 3 in three-point percentage is in the NBA Finals. It may go back further than six years. I got lazy and didn’t keep going.

Oh btw, we’re 1st in three-point percentage. Miami is 2nd, Toronto is 3rd.

Certain people here have talked a lot about how the Lakers have a size advantage on us and if we face them it would be a disaster.

But I think that it needs to be said that there are ways that we can cause them problems too. What if we constantly run Bogey off screens and make AD chase? What if we go super small around Rudy and spread them out with our shooters/playmakers? Do you really think AD at the 4 really wants to chase guys around the perimeter for 30+ minutes in each game of a 7 game series? I don't. If we do that and it works it's going to force them to put AD at the 5 and go small which takes away their size advantage.

Indiana took care of business tonight against Denver. If we can beat them tomorrow on their second night of a back to back, then we’re tied for second. If Denver loses tomorrow (they play in Minnesota) then we’re officially second in the standings (tied with LAC who we have the tie-breaker on). We maintain that through the week (play GSW and Dallas), then I think Rudy and Donovan both make it into the all star game.

Indiana took care of business tonight against Denver. If we can beat them tomorrow on their second night of a back to back, then we’re tied for second. If Denver loses tomorrow (they play in Minnesota) then we’re officially second in the standings (tied with LAC who we have the tie-breaker on). We maintain that through the week (play GSW and Dallas), then I think Rudy and Donovan both make it into the all star game.

The Pacers have had our number the last few years. Would be nice to get a W against them.

Only 5 teams are top 10 in both ORtg and DRtg.

Bucks- #2 O, #1 D
Lakers- #4 O, #3 D
Clippers- #5 O, #6 D
Celtics- #6 O, #5 D
Jazz- #8 O, #9 D

And we're #1 in ORtg since the Clarkson trade

We need both the Jazz and Nuggets to stay ahead of the Clippers in the standings so that they play the Lakers in the 2nd round. So far, both the Jazz and Nuggets have a tie-break advantage over the Clips due to head-to-head and conference record.

EOgI2kNUcAAbhDh.jpg:large

Over the last forty seasons, 36 of the 40 teams who won the NBA championship went 57-25 or better in the regular season. (Or were on pace to win 57+ in what turned out to be a shortened season)

The Jazz right now are on pace to win 57 or 58.

The majority of those same championship teams finished in the top 10 in both ORtg and DRtg in the regular season in which they won the championship.

The Jazz are currently 8th/9th in ORtg/DRtg.

We are currently in the sweet spot of true contention.

Over the last forty seasons, 36 of the 40 teams who won the NBA championship went 57-25 or better in the regular season. (Or were on pace to win 57+ in what turned out to be a shortened season)

The Jazz right now are on pace to win 57 or 58.

The majority of those same championship teams finished in the top 10 in both ORtg and DRtg in the regular season in which they won the championship.

The Jazz are currently 8th/9th in ORtg/DRtg.

We are currently in the sweet spot of true contention.
Not to be a buzzkill, but I think if you breakdown the remaining strength of schedule, 55ish games looks more realistic. That could obviously be revised upward depending on how we respond to the next 10ish games.

Reactions: SCS
Not to be a buzzkill, but I think if you breakdown the remaining strength of schedule, 55ish games looks more realistic. That could obviously be revised upward depending on how we respond to the next 10ish games.

True. Our defense could also take a hit over the next 10ish games too. We've only been 12th in defense since the Clarkson trade. The penetration we've allowed has been troubling. We need to step it up.