What's new

All Star Weekend Thread

An idea for Lauri in the dunk contest: he comes dressed in his old Bulls uni and recreates the Jordan free throw line dunk.

Based on a recent interview where he said he'd rather participate in the dunk contest than the 3 pt contest, and the article/interview from before the season started where he said dunking from the ft line has never been so easy.
Yes and make Vucevic stand under the basket. He knows the drill.

An idea for THT in the dunk contest: he comes dressed as A-train from The Boys, there are people lined up under the rim but instead of jumping over them he simply runs through them on the way to the rim..

Lol

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Dunking has become an art form of its own over the last 10 years or so, with social media exploding. It doesn't even have much to do with basketball anymore, and NBA players can't compete with dudes with 45'' verts who only train dunking for like six hours per day.

IMO the All Star Weekend dunk contest should be a showcase for these dudes, with a lot of money at stake. The most well-known pro dunkers are bigger stars anyway than some NBA rookies or benchwarmers nobody's heard of.

I saw a dude in a video who jumped up in the air, threw the basketball down at the ground, waited up in the air near the rim for the ball to bounce back up to him and then slammed it. No one in the nba could do that.

Im still waiting to see someone do a flip (back or front) dunk though. Thats my holy grail

I saw a dude in a video who jumped up in the air, threw the basketball down at the ground, waited up in the air near the rim for the ball to bounce back up to him and then slammed it. No one in the nba could do that.

Im still waiting to see someone do a flip (back or front) dunk though. Thats my holy grail

There are dunk leagues and guys who are professional dunkers. One of my favourites is Jordan Kilganon, who is just 6"1 but has some insane trademark dunks that none else pulls off. Really enjoyable, and I would guess those ASG VIPs or large portion of public havent seen or heard from some of these guys despite the scene is quite old.

Check him out:

All star selection is a joke. No reason to take it too serious. I think the coaches picks are probably the best right now. Fans are a terrible choice for picks and the players themselves after even worse.

I would let fans pick the captain and/or all star MVP. Then let each team get 2 of their best media members to vote and they can't vote for their own team and let the coaches keep picking reserves or combine media and coaches to pick them all. But they won't drop the fan vote for a bunch of reasons.
It is just a popularity contest, always has been. At least for a lot of the time the fans rightly select the better players. But in cases like this with Zion, and I remember one year Ming was voted in and he hadn't played a single game the first half of the year, or something like that, it is just garbage. But we just need to keep in mind the only part of this that has anything to do with actual basketball impact is the coaches' selections. Those are the unsung heros that are making a difference and earning it really.

But even then, we have seen plenty of times a player selected as a legacy pick or more as a lifetime achievement award. I think the last year Kobe was picked for the team was his worst year and he really didn't deserve it and didn't play hardly at all, iirc. Same with Dirk I think. Too lazy to look it all up now, but we have seen this more than a few times. It is all geared to appeal to the fans, because that is where the money comes from.

How many nationally televised games have the Jazz had this season and you get the answer why the fan vote hurts out roster.
It was only more likely Zion wasn't even an allstar, if he wasn't a starter after missing 20 games . Someone as dominant as the Finnisher or Sabonis have been, that have for the most part played all season, are locks as coaches selections who care about the sample size more than the popular card.
Zions cohorts and the sports media obviously favor a box office level athlete like Zion not just the fans, because of his unstoppable dominance WHEN HE DOES PLAY.
That and someone is probably lobbying him to be in the dunk contest, since it is DOA every year for like the last decade since nobody is Vince.
The allstar game itself is a joke, but being an allstar continues to allow the exceptional entertainment level type player like Zion to boost endorsements so they always get votes
they would not have otherwise.

Rudy Gay and Micah Potter got a vote as well. Obviously teammates vote for other teammates and friends, looks like 60% of the league votes intentionally and 40% shoot off votes to teammates.

Still, could be a clue that Ochai's teammates like him, which is nice.

According to my sources, the player who voted for Rudy Gay was in fact Rudy Gay himself.

[WOJ] reported that his initial ballot, which he had to redo, was:

PG: Rudathon Gay
SG: Rudekial Gay
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Ruddiam Gay
C: Rudolph Gay
I laughed out loud at that one. Well done.

These are starting to grow on me. The typography is plain, but I think the colors might actually pop. It depends on what the court looks like. It's basically blue and gold, plus the gradation.

View: https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1618766192331874304

They basically stole the Jazz city jerseys from the past few seasons. . .

Pisses me off that we went from the City edition gradient jerseys - some of the most badass ones in the league - to the stupid highlighters. At least they realized that the old purple mountain jerseys are the best ones this season.

I was bored at work today and figured out how to fix the all-star game.

1. We are picking 40 all-stars. If you are 41, I don't want to hear about "getting snubbed." 40 is a pretty decent group to be included in.

2. We are dividing those all stars into 4 teams of 10 and are having a two day tournament. Winner plays winner and loser plays loser to determine 4th place.

3. The twist is that the winning team stays. They return intact (as much as is possible) to defend their crown the next year. All ten players are grandfathered into an all-star invite the next year.

I'd watch the Hell out of something like that.