What's new

All Star Weekend

How to fix the dunk contest....

Open entry. Anybody in the NBA can compete if they choose (There would have to be a limit on the number of entries of course, but you get the idea).

Shorten it from two rounds to one. The two round format is antiquated. There's also no need for each player to get two dunks every round. Let's face it, very few players can give more than one or two really high quality dunks. The stamina needed to perform multiple quality dunks has also been an issue. So here's what you do... ONE round, everyone gets ONE dunk. The best dunk out of all of the dunks wins.

This would make for a much more entertaining contest. We get the very best from each player. No waste of time.
I like this. To go further, have a open audition before all star weekend. Allow those guys on the globetrotters, street hoppers, etc who are better dunkers than NBA guys tryout. No one came to Daillo dunk, they came to see spectacular dunks. 30 or so get in. 1 dunk 1 chance, all lined up ready to go. $100,000 to the winner.

I like this. To go further, have a open audition before all star weekend. Allow those guys on the globetrotters, street hoppers, etc who are better dunkers than NBA guys tryout. No one came to Daillo dunk, they came to see spectacular dunks. 30 or so get in. 1 dunk 1 chance, all lined up ready to go. $100,000 to the winner.

This.
I would finally get to see the front flip dunk.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I don’t like that format exactly. One round doesn’t allow for pressure or excitement to build.

Have 8 guys (or more) do one dunk. Right now there are four guys doing two.

Out of those 8, take the top 3 for the finals. Two dunks each in the finals.

This Charlotte crowd is DEAD. They barely popped for Kemba Walker much less anyone else. Why don't they do an all star weekend in Utah? Fans would at least make noise.
because no one else wants to go to Utah. All the parties go along with all star weekend. I remember when Denver had one. So many parties. No parties in SLC going down all night

because no one else wants to go to Utah. All the parties go along with all star weekend. I remember when Denver had one. So many parties. No parties in SLC going down all night
1993 says hello.

During the 3 pt contest I kept thinking back to Harpring and Boler debating who was the best shooter in the Curry family, now that was cringe.

Dunk Contest sucked, don't change the format just get better dunkers. Unless you are a freak athlete big men like Collins shouldn't be in this contest. And get people who can actually complete a dunk, DS Jr. has been pretty underwhelming 2 years straight.

I like the idea of 8 dunkers in a single elimination tournament. Imagine if they picked out of a hat for the bracket. Fan noise could determine who wins.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

TBH I don't think there is any way to save the dunk contest. Pretty much everything has been done. All that's left are gimmicks. Blindfolded, higher rims, endlessly jumping over crap, whatever. Until a new athletic freak comes along who can do something like a 360 dunk from the foul line it's really just all the same.

TBH I don't think there is any way to save the dunk contest. Pretty much everything has been done. All that's left are gimmicks. Blindfolded, higher rims, endlessly jumping over crap, whatever. Until a new athletic freak comes along who can do something like a 360 dunk from the foul line it's really just all the same.
1. Require the winner to defend their crown the next year.
2. Have required types of dunks, like they used to. Like, 1 from the baseline, 1 from RIGHT UNDER the basket, 1 from the 3 point line... Put some constraints on them and you'll see more creativity.
3. I'm also getting tired of the "Jump over X (where X is a celebrity or inanimate object)" dunk paradigm, but what else can you do? Jump through a hula hoop?

1. Require the winner to defend their crown the next year.
2. Have required types of dunks, like they used to. Like, 1 from the baseline, 1 from RIGHT UNDER the basket, 1 from the 3 point line... Put some constraints on them and you'll see more creativity.
3. I'm also getting tired of the "Jump over X (where X is a celebrity or inanimate object)" dunk paradigm, but what else can you do? Jump through a hula hoop?
A flaming hula hoop.

Here's an idea. Get rid of the whole event. All the events are a joke nowadays
Award all-stars, give everyone a break.

It’s a good idea, it just doesn’t generate revenue.