What's new

Amnesty Deadline

Not true Kicky. Teams can only use the amnesty provision on players that were under contract with that team on July 1, 2011.

True. I missed the "continuous" portion of the provision.

That makes it significantly less useful.

True. I missed the "continuous" portion of the provision.

That makes it significantly less useful.

If not for that part, can you imagine the deals that could go down with almost anyone able to be an expiring contract for salary cap purposes?

Not true Kicky. Teams can only use the amnesty provision on players that were under contract with that team on July 1, 2011.
* That limited the Jazz to the following group: Jefferson, Harris, Millsap, Favors, Miles, Bell, Hayward and Evans.
* Once they didn't amnesty Miles or Evans last December 9-16, they couldn't ever amnesty them as they would be free agents by the next opportunity. That left Jefferson, Harris, Millsap, Favors, Bell and Hayward.
* Once they traded Harris, obviously they couldn't waive him.
* Once the deadline passed the July, they will never amnesty Jefferon, Millsap or Bell (free agents by next July).
* They can't use the amnesty on any players if they extend (e.g. if Hayward and Favors extend next summer), sign a new deal (Evans this year) or on players acquired via trade (Mo or Marvin Williams).

That leaves Hayward and Favors for the moment, and it's unlikely the Jazz will use the amnesty provision.
Thanks for the explanation. I never quite liked my (very wrong) interpretation; this makes a lot better sense!