What's new

And he shall be called...

Not that I have much sympathy for the parents, but the judge is clearly out of line here and sounds like a religious zealot. I can't wait for an Appeals court to slap her down. She should keep her Bible banging out of her job.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

If you're a Christian, sure. If you're a Jew or Muslim not so much (at least in terms that's Jesus was the only person to earn it).

The name Muhammad could put the kid at odds with a Christian population too, but I doubt that name would be banned.

Stupid.

Mehdi(very similar to Messiah) for example is a very common name in the Middle East. I'd like her changing every single Mehdis too in the world, while she's at it.

Guessing they'll have to go back to court now and a new judge will allow the name.

If judges are going to get a say over religious names, then they should also get a say when celebs come up with the worst names ever imaginable.

Great story great story. Hopefully arguing over these things continues to waste taxpayer money. It is not as if we have better things to spend out money on...

The kid's mother's last name is also Martin.

So there's a chance his name's going to be Martin Martin? That's great.

While they're at it they should look into changing the name of the county too - Cocke County??? (Beavis laugh)

Several countries have lists of approved names and spellings. Parents can choose from the list. I wish USA did the same.

I'm pretty sure there's more to this story. the media is just doing its thing! the usual, "throw some meat at people and watch them crawl over each other rather than discuss real issues!" Examples: Benghazi, Martin, etc.

The parents couldn't decide on the entire name, first and last. So the judge gave the baby the mom's name to he its first name and the baby's last name would be the father's.

Moral of the story? Get married first before having kids. Otherwise, when you turn to the courts to be parents don't be surprised at the results.

Several countries have lists of approved names and spellings. Parents can choose from the list. I wish USA did the same.

Really?

What would the benefit of that be, other than preventing black people from giving their kids stupid *** names with even stupider spellings? I'm not a big fan of those silly names but by what right would I tell them they can't name their kid what they want to name their kid?

Can I load up a hotel van full of Jesus the omelette chefs, bring them to her court, and get a ruling on them too?

Can I load up a hotel van full of Jesus the omlete chefs and get a ruling on them too?

Approved. Jesus was just his first name. It might have been Bob or Larry, but Marry chose Jesus. But not a title. No titles are allowed. No one named Scout or Inspector or anything like that can be allowed.

Wait.

You're mistakenly comparing a civic-nationalist state like the US with ethnically-nationalist states, like Sweden.

The fibre of your country isn't your heritage, or the religion practiced by the majority. It's about obeying, believing, and being proud of certain principles.

The US having a list of approved names would be counter-intuitive to many of the things it stands for.

At least the parents aren't gay... We really dodged a bullet there!

Otherwise, I might be inclined to question their parenting skills...

Not that I have much sympathy for the parents, but the judge is clearly out of line here and sounds like a religious zealot. I can't wait for an Appeals court to slap her down. She should keep her Bible banging out of her job.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

If you're a Christian, sure. If you're a Jew or Muslim not so much (at least in terms that's Jesus was the only person to earn it).

The name Muhammad could put the kid at odds with a Christian population too, but I doubt that name would be banned.

This. If this ruling stands, we've got two paths to follow:

1. Anyone with a religious title as part of their name(Muhammad, Jesus, Gabrielle[which means strong man of God]) should be forced to change their name.
2. Anyone with a title in general should be forced to change their name. (The guy from the Who, Prince[who ffs, is simply a symbol anyway)

I'd like a full list of all rulings this judge has made. Where one mistake has been made, there are others.

You're mistakenly comparing a civic-nationalist state like the US with ethnically-nationalist states, like Sweden.

The fibre of your country isn't your heritage, or the religion practiced by the majority. It's about obeying, believing, and being proud of certain principles.

The US having a list of approved names would be counter-intuitive to many of the things it stands for.

Nope. You've gone way over my head and well beyond my motivation. I'm lazy. I don't want to try to learn or spell Aaron, Arin, Erin, Eruhn, Aron, Eryn, Airynn, .....

Even worst is when some little bratty 5 year old corrects you...its KAT-i-lynn not Kati-lynn and looks at you like your the moron instead of the parents.

"Sorry son, I'll try to get it right next time."

Taylor, where is Taylor? Anybody know who he is? The kids all laugh and correct the adult who is stupid because Taylor is obviously a girl until next week when read Tailoyr is used for a boy.

500 boy names 500 girl names and no exceptions. The family wants to call the kid a nick name--fine. But the records are one of the approved.

The kids can all injoy truth, justice, the dream of owning their own home and winning American Idol...but the little snots can do it all with names that everyone can spell.

Nope. You've gone way over my head and well beyond my motivation. I'm lazy. I don't want to try to learn or spell Aaron, Arin, Erin, Eruhn, Aron, Eryn, Airynn, .....

Even worst is when some little bratty 5 year old corrects you...its KAT-i-lynn not Kati-lynn and looks at you like your the moron instead of the parents.

"Sorry son, I'll try to get it right next time."

Taylor, where is Taylor? Anybody know who he is? The kids all laugh and correct the adult who is stupid because Taylor is obviously a girl until next week when read Tailoyr is used for a boy.

500 boy names 500 girl names and no exceptions. The family wants to call the kid a nick name--fine. But the records are one of the approved.

The kids can all injoy truth, justice, the dream of owning their own home and winning American Idol...but the little snots can do it all with names that everyone can spell.

We should just number them.

I think the restrictions on names is idiotic. With very few exceptions (such as swear words being names) parents should be free to name their child what they wish.