What's new

Andy Larsen summarized all MISSED calls for and against every NBA team in the Last Two Min reports

Don't forget we were -6 in the last game alone. So a week ago, we wouldn't be... oh wait, yea we'd still be last.

Honestly, a lot of teams that have the most incorrect calls in their favors have players that know how to sell a foul. Our players don't do a good job of it. Quin needs to have acting class practice.

Plus Adam Silver hates the Jazz (at least that is what David Stern told me when I saw him at Best Buy).

I've changed the thread's title.

This data is alarming and the Jazz Org. are frustrated by it.

Andy Larsen ‏@andyblarsen 2m2 minutes ago
Privately, Jazz personnel at all levels of the organization are extremely frustrated about NBA referee data. Not just L2M, but all 48.

I love that the NBA has started doing these reports, though. It's definitely a step in the right direction.
Maybe it's already being done behind closed doors, but the next obvious step is applying a ranking system for each individual referee (based on the blown calls already being tracked by the NBA). Then, at the end of the year, say the 13 lowest ranking refs out of 64 (~ bottom 20%) are put on probation (or fired if they are on the bottom 20% for consecutive seasons). Wouldn't this keep all refs, including old-timers/veterans, from resting on their laurels and becoming complacent/lazy?

Maybe it's already being done behind closed doors, but the next obvious step is applying a ranking system for each individual referee (based on the blown calls already being tracked by the NBA). Then, at the end of the year, say the 13 lowest ranking refs out of 64 (~ bottom 20%) are put on probation (or fired if they are on the bottom 20% for consecutive seasons). Wouldn't this keep all refs, including old-timers/veterans, from resting on their laurels and becoming complacent/lazy?
I assume they are keeping track of which official is responsible for each call, but I'm not sure. There are probably some missed calls where they aren't able to determine that.

Topic title should say "All the MISSED calls..."

Guess which team ranks dead last by a decent margin.

https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/703009208996761600

I'm gonna guess without looking : Golden State.

EDIT after looking: I knew Utah would lead but I didn't know how they sorted it and that if they used a difference parameter so I failed. I thought the Warriors would be the team that got their committed fouls got called for THE LEAST and GOT AWAY WITH IT. (why the heck did I use so many capitals back there?)

So according to this, OKC is the most favored right? But this table includes the committed fouls. Are those the fouls committed by the given team or are they the number of fouls that they drew and get called? Because the number of fouls you have committed and the number of ones you draw are usually determined by your style of playing. I mean how many times does Westbrook explodes to the rim and yells "AND ONE!" ?

I'm gonna guess without looking : Golden State.

EDIT after looking: I knew Utah would lead but I didn't know how they sorted it and that if they used a difference parameter so I failed. I thought the Warriors would be the team that got their committed fouls got called for THE LEAST and GOT AWAY WITH IT. (why the heck did I use so many capitals back there?)

So according to this, OKC is the most favored right? But this table includes the committed fouls. Are those the fouls committed by the given team or are they the number of fouls that they drew and get called? Because the number of fouls you have committed and the number of ones you draw are usually determined by your style of playing. I mean how many times does Westbrook explodes to the rim and yells "AND ONE!" ?

Committed in this context refers to the amount of missed calls (not necessarily fouls) that the team benefitted from.

They have a ranking system which is how the playoff games refs are selected

They have a ranking system which is how the playoff games refs are selected
Do you know how the ranking system works? Are the lowest ranked officials penalized in any way (other than not being able to officiate playoff games)? I'm curious to know how this works...