What's new

Andy Larsen's Article from Last Night - A Local Guy Going Hard

That's fair... I just didn't realize how inept the guy is in the pick and roll. I think some basketball people mentioned it, but then glossed over it with a "it'll work out and be fine". I think his point was that's something the front office should have known that media types wouldn't. Maybe they didn't think he was this bad or that he could improve... there were some other options on the market but only a few of those have worked out.
He was a guy who had been really impactful the last few years in Brooklyn and Portland. Brooklyn plays fairly similar to Utah, maybe more so than any other NBA team. I was always unimpressed by him, but I figured that was just because he played against Favors and that wasn't a fair matchup to judge him off of

I think Juwan has been fine... he hasn't played with any aggressiveness or force on offense. The defense has been good. He had an empty box score in the phoenix game but did some good things. I wish they would commit to him for like 5 games and tell him to try a couple things even if it doesn't work out. Like have Quin set up a pick and pop three for him when he comes in the game and tell him to let it fly if he's open. I also think he could be our only big that can fake the pass on the DHO and if the defense shifts too hard he can drive and get a layup. I think he's a better option than TB even if he is too small... hasn't looked real comfortable yet.
On offense he's always being directed by other players where to go.

Like I said earlier, he should have been playing while Utah was rolling and there wasnt as much pressure. Now it just feels like it's too late for him to learn as much as he needs to. And I do think he's probably too small.

TB largely sucks, but he does do some nice things occasionally with his rebounding.

Idk tho, Utah is so ****ed at backup center.

He was a guy who had been really impactful the last few years in Brooklyn and Portland. Brooklyn plays fairly similar to Utah, maybe more so than any other NBA team. I was always unimpressed by him, but I figured that was just because he played against Favors and that wasn't a fair matchup to judge him off of
I hadn't watched him much, but remember him having some serious offensive rebounding moments in Portland and he had some good moments against Embiid in the playoffs. Didn't watch a ton of Nets basketball... he's not the type of guy you notice unless you are watching specifically him. Favs owned his *** doe... I remember that.

On offense he's always being directed by other players where to go.

Like I said earlier, he should have been playing while Utah was rolling and there wasnt as much pressure. Now it just feels like it's too late for him to learn as much as he needs to. And I do think he's probably too small.

TB largely sucks, but he does do some nice things occasionally with his rebounding.

Idk tho, Utah is so ****ed at backup center.

He doesn't look lost on defense to me... and has made some nice plays on that end... admittedly when he comes in I'm watching really closely.

I think it is more important that the backup center is functional on defense, and Morgan has some unique, to our current group, theoretical offensive potential. He can catch the ball on the pick and roll so I don't think he ****s the offense up... JC really ain't hitting the roll man either way so who knows. Might be able to go back to Ed and just have JC score, but even on defense Ed was hacking the **** out of dudes.

He doesn't look lost on defense to me... and has made some nice plays on that end... admittedly when he comes in I'm watching really closely.

I think it is more important that the backup center is functional on defense, and Morgan has some unique, to our current group, theoretical offensive potential. He can catch the ball on the pick and roll so I don't think he ****s the offense up... JC really ain't hitting the roll man either way so who knows. Might be able to go back to Ed and just have JC score, but even on defense Ed was hacking the **** out of dudes.
He always late on help defense weakside at center and teams get as easy baskets as they do on TB as a help defender. He just does a better on the man end on switches.

That's definitely not it.

The Jazz just have ****** man defenders who also aren't high IQ defenders. Plus guys like Mitchell aren't living up to their defensive potential.

I mean, they added guys like Bogey, Clarkson, Mudiay, and Bradley (I know he wasn't "added" but it's his first time actually playing). Plus Niang is getting more minutes and Ingles/Conley have aged on the defensive end.

And Oneale is an overrated defender (by some). He isn't a game changer on that end or a lockdown guy. He is merely a good defender. And he honestly might be the only good defender on the team outside of Rudy (I'd call Ingles, Conley, and Mitchell average).

Juwan Morgan has some defensive potential, but it does seem likes he's too small to play center and it's hard to play him over Niang, who does a great job at playing in Utah offense with his spacing and at least knows where to be (Morgan often looks lost).

I really wish Oni could get some run as he has the body and athleticism to be a plus defender, but his gleague stats don't suggest that he is ready.

That's definitely not it....lol

Since the first Houston loss The Jazz are minus -51 in minutes when teams play 5 guys out.

That is THE worst in The NBA. The Jazz went from a top 10 defensive team in the league (overall) to the worst when teams go small.

I agree Jazz don't have good individual defenders. But once again that reinforces my point. Jazz defenders can take liberties because they know Rudy has their back. They can play tight defense above the break, they can stay back instead of trying to get in passing lanes to force turnovers.

Having Rudy is akin to having a great pass rush in the NFL. The ability to get to the QB covers up a lot of other holes in your defense. All of sudden a mediocre secondary looks above average. Good cover linebackers now look great. You somehow manage to remove that pass rush or equalize it then everything else gets exposed and things start to fall apart.

Sure there are other minor reasons - but this is the main one. The stats and the eye test back it up.

Since the first Houston loss The Jazz are minus -51 in minutes when teams play 5 guys out.

That is THE worst in The NBA. The Jazz went from a top 10 defensive team in the league (overall) to the worst when teams go small.

I agree Jazz don't have good individual defenders. But once again that reinforces my point. Jazz defenders can take liberties because they know Rudy has their back. They can play tight defense above the break, they can stay back instead of trying to get in passing lanes to force turnovers.

Having Rudy is akin to having a great pass rush in the NFL. The ability to get to the QB covers up a lot of other holes in your defense. All of sudden a mediocre secondary looks above average. Good cover linebackers now look great. You somehow manage to remove that pass rush or equalize it then everything else gets exposed and things start to fall apart.

Sure there are other minor reasons - but this is the main one. The stats and the eye test back it up.
Great analogy

Sure, but the larger issue is the individual defenders, not 5 out vs Rudy. If Rudy had the Boston Celtics defenders (Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart) next to him, it would merely be a minor inconvenience to play 5 out teams

Because almost none of the issues last night can be attributed to Conley. The only real issue I see with Conley, other than his up and down play, is that he pushes Royce and Joe out of the roles they were successful in. Now once again, that is not a Mike issue. That is a coaching issue and an issue of Joe and Royce not being good enough to adapt.

the Jazz are burning 1/3 of their entire cap on this guy and he has a 12.7 PER. how is that not an issue?! at $35 million he should be carrying this team on his back!