What's new

annual Bolerhack Sucks thread

You might be right about the pre-game preps and all but when I listen to him I get the feeling that he's genuinely excited and really wants Utah to do well. I'm not sure how I can describe it objectively, it's just organic with him. This is not so with most other announcers in the league.

David Locke is a much more hard-working guy but he's so fake. And his voice is so weird. I don't even know how one can become a radio guy with such a voice; he seems to suffer from chronic sinusitis or something.
Oh I think he's a sports fan in general and no sports fan could watch some of those plays without getting caught up in the excitement. But in the end it's obvious he really doesn't care any more than I cared about the last great play by the Patriots or whatever. I can appreciate it for what it is, but then it's going so, who cares? That's the feeling I get from boler.

How about this one below? English is not my first language. I wonder if his words are... normal?

So last night, after the game winning shot and while they're showing the slow-mo replay for the first time, this is what Boler says:

"Easily down! With two-tenths on the clock. As the horn sounds, the Jazz win it."

I'm not even going to get into what "easily down" means, but the rest is typical Boler. First, there is 1.3 on the clock when the play starts. Babo lets it go at 0.6. The horn sounds as the ball is in mid-air and it swishes with no time on the clock at all and the backboard being obviously lit up. What the hell is he talking about? What two tenths on the clock? Remember that Boler has access to the same feed on his screen we do. Even if you assume that he's not watching it and that he's going off what he sees happening in real time, how can it be both two-tenths of a second left and also "as the horn sounds?"

This is what those of us who dislike him mean when we criticize him. He just says random stuff. I mean, actually random stuff. He says things for the sake of saying things, but it's nonsense. There seems to be zero forethought. Just verbal diarrhea.
I kind of wish you hadn't pointed this out, because this might cause me to actually start paying close attention to what he says lol.

I would presume one of the main reasons some people think Boler is a good is because he has a good voice. And honestly, I think having a good voice and delivering on excitement are the two of the most important things I look for in an announcer.

The “great pipes” argument is so lol. And it’s also so common. People aren’t listening.
It's probably become like background noise for some people. It's getting that way for me. I ignore him and listen more for clarification on uncertain plays, but he generally sucks at that too, so is got to be big T or harp that give us the info we need. Like when they took away Don's big dunk last game. I still don't fully understand why they waved that off, and it was obvious from his commentary they boler didn't either.

Boler and Harpring are both cheesy AF...but I don't mind them especially when compared to a lot of other broadcast teams across the league. They don't spend too much time being fans and they don't try to be analysts. It's a broadcast, not a platform to complain about the refs or try to prove how smart you are. I truly do not care about the corniness or mispronouncing games as long as they remember that they are broadcasters first and foremost.

The idiot referred to Mike Smith as Matt tonight. Demented ****.
Yeah but when I first tuned in to the broadcast I was having to ask myself if they brought Harpring back as a COVID replacement.

The idiot referred to Mike Smith as Matt tonight. Demented ****.
To be fair, if one of us were handling the broadcast of 80+ Jazz games each year, we’re bound to mix up somebody’s name at some point.

That being said, Boler seems to have a lot of those moments.

To be fair, if one of us were handling the broadcast of 80+ Jazz games each year, we’re bound to mix up somebody’s name at some point.

I’ve never moaned about things like a mix up on names. The big problem is, and apparently always will be, the fact that he doesn’t know hardly anything about basketball. And apparently can’t learn anything either.

They are known as Sr. Don't-give-a-**** moments.

I’ve never moaned about things like a mix up on names. The big problem is, and apparently always will be, the fact that he doesn’t know hardly anything about basketball. And apparently can’t learn anything either.
By now I think it's more won't learn. Last night the jazz had a couple nifty skip passes. Mike (or is it Matt? lol) called it correctly. Later Boler said "Conley with a pass over the top". Skip pass would have been easier and less clunky to use, and he had an example not long before, but he refuses to understand what a skip pass is.

By now I think it's more won't learn. Last night the jazz had a couple nifty skip passes. Mike (or is it Matt? lol) called it correctly. Later Boler said "Conley with a pass over the top". Skip pass would have been easier and less clunky to use, and he had an example not long before, but he refuses to understand what a skip pass is.
I mean, after more than a decade of preferential access to basketball experiences “won’t” starts be look a helluva lot like “can’t”.

I mean, after more than a decade of preferential access to basketball experiences “won’t” starts be look a helluva lot like “can’t”.
Wan't? Con't?