What's new

Another Boozer trade Rumor(I actually like it)

Mambo

NBA / JUL 1, 2010 / 3:23 PM
NBA TRADE RUMOR: CARLOS BOOZER TO ORLANDO FOR VINCE CARTER
BY DANIEL MARKS

Carlos Boozer (photo. Jeff Salter)
After their season ended in disappointing fashion, Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith vowed that changes would be made, but also said he didn’t foresee a major roster overhaul. If today’s rumor that Carlos Boozer may be headed to Orlando is true, then change is certainly coming.

The proposed sign-and-trade for Boozer would have Orlando getting Boozer while giving the Jazz Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat and Brandon Bass.

I like this trade a lot for both teams, especially the Magic. Dwight Howard has never had a true power forward playing next to him. Most recently, Rashard Lewis has been in the PF slot for Orlando, but he plays more like a small forward. Boozer would complement Howard incredibly well as a true four, as he has the ability to hit mid-range jumpers and run the pick-and-pop that Howard doesn’t possess. Boozer is incredibly gifted offensively and while his defense is below average, Dwight can compensate for that. Also, by acquiring Boozer in this rumored deal, the Magic don’t give up essential pieces to their team. Carter and Lewis never really meshed together this season, and Carter’s disastrous playoff run caused quite a few grumblings in Orlando. Brandon Bass fell out of favor with Stan Van Gundy and didn’t play much in the playoffs, while Gortat has become expendable now that the Magic drafted Daniel Orton to be their backup center of the future.

For the Jazz this trade would also make a lot of sense. One of their big needs is at the center position as Mehmet Okur is getting old, and is very injury-prone. Gortat could provide insurance in case Okur gets injured again, and when Okur is healthy, Gortat is a significant upgrade at backup center over Kosta Koufos or Kyrylo Fesenko. While Carter played terribly in the playoffs, he is still capable of averaging 15-20 points per game, and while Wes Matthews is a nice story, he’s more suited to a backup role than a starting one if the Jazz re-sign him. The last piece the Jazz would get is Bass, who I believe would be a great fit on that team is a hard-nosed defensive presence off the bench behind Paul Millsap.

While this is only a rumor at this point, this trade makes a lot of sense for both sides involved.

EXCEPT THIS ONE HAS VINSANITY!

Thoughts?

I like the Gortat and (Bass/Anderson) with a TE more. I hate Vince Carter and paying the luxury tax for taking on his contract makes no sense.

I like the Gortat and (Bass/Anderson) with a TE more. I hate Vince Carter and paying the luxury tax for taking on his contract makes no sense.

Im sure this would involve the Jazz moving AK to some other team.

How does this one work contractually? I thought that Carter had one of those awful contracts no team would want.

Vince Carter would be no more valuable to the Jazz than CJ Miles (i'm not joking, dude is a hack now days), but he only has one year left on his deal. I'd rather get Redick or Pietrus as part of the deal...preferably Redick. We can't speculate until we hear something more concrete though.

Only way I would do this is if Vince Carter agreed to an extension with us before the trade. The more years & money, the better.

Only way I would do this is if Vince Carter agreed to an extension with us before the trade. The more years & money, the better.

Agreed. I think he would really step his game up if we gave him a nice new contract as incentive to play hard for us.

We would be taking back roughly double the salary that would be going out. There would have to be more to this that what is mentioned in the article. Carter already makes more than the maximun that could be offered to Boozer and then they add even more players.

How does this one work contractually? I thought that Carter had one of those awful contracts no team would want.
Carter's contract isn't horrible length-wise, but he makes way too much. He's at $17.3M next year with a team option at $18M the year after. So he's actually a potential expiring contract.

But the trade as posted above doesn't come close to working. The Jazz would have to send $22M+ to take back $27.6M on those three players. Boozer can only make ~$17M or so, so who else would the Jazz send to make this deal work?