What's new

Anti Trans Laws

It’s based off a book. I read the book. Good dystopian stuff. I’m not really into that genre but it was okay.
The book was a bit heavy-handed for me, but told a good cautionary tale. The show has been....weird. I have liked it and not liked it at the same time, but I will watch until the end for sure.

I'll check it out. Not in my normal rotation but my wife watches it.
In short it is about a trans individual told from a completely unexpected point of view. Well unexpected if you aren't familiar with the show very much. I found it really interesting and both my wife and I found ourselves thinking much more deeply about the topic. Very eye-opening. I thought it was a pretty respectful treatment of the topic. I would really be interested to hear your opinion on it.

The book was a bit heavy-handed for me, but told a good cautionary tale. The show has been....weird. I have liked it and not liked it at the same time, but I will watch until the end for sure.
I read it once. Didn’t want to again. Probably for the same reasons you stated. I haven’t seen the show yet. I’m not into dystopian stuff. Get enough of that **** just reading the newspaper.

Even if you haven't seen the Orville, you should watch season 3 episode 5. I'd be really interested in hearing other opinions. Especially @One Brow and @Gameface
I just watched it. I'm not sure how I felt about it.

The non-commissioned father was a little too broadly characterized. His character felt shallow and undeveloped. That might be because I haven't watched other episodes.

Also, everyone was so damn certain. I've never been that certain, or comfortable, with my maverick's coming out. There needs to be more room for ambivalence, because I think that's where most of we parents are. We want our children to be happy, we worry that this will make their lives more difficult. My father is a conservative man, and how much do I draw a line with him about what we will and will not listen to (though, to be fair to him, he's handled it well so far)? How do I help explain this to my autistics kids?

So I'd say the show had it's heart in the right place, but was a little too black-and-white compared to my experience.

I will likely be watching more of The Orville, though. I've never liked McFarlane, but I like this show.

I just watched it. I'm not sure how I felt about it.

The non-commissioned father was a little too broadly characterized. His character felt shallow and undeveloped. That might be because I haven't watched other episodes.

Also, everyone was so damn certain. I've never been that certain, or comfortable, with my maverick's coming out. There needs to be more room for ambivalence, because I think that's where most of we parents are. We want our children to be happy, we worry that this will make their lives more difficult. My father is a conservative man, and how much do I draw a line with him about what we will and will not listen to (though, to be fair to him, he's handled it well so far)? How do I help explain this to my autistics kids?

So I'd say the show had it's heart in the right place, but was a little too black-and-white compared to my experience.

I will likely be watching more of The Orville, though. I've never liked McFarlane, but I like this show.
Thanks for you input. I have really liked the Orville. He started out wanting to do almost a family guy in space but with an open homage to the original, but as it developed it really developed a heart and the snarkiness dropped off significantly. For me it's the best thing he's done.

Thanks for you input. I have really liked the Orville. He started out wanting to do almost a family guy in space but with an open homage to the original, but as it developed it really developed a heart and the snarkiness dropped off significantly. For me it's the best thing he's done.
So from everything I feared it would be to something I'd enjoy. Cool.

In short it is about a trans individual told from a completely unexpected point of view. Well unexpected if you aren't familiar with the show very much. I found it really interesting and both my wife and I found ourselves thinking much more deeply about the topic. Very eye-opening. I thought it was a pretty respectful treatment of the topic. I would really be interested to hear your opinion on it.
I like the show a lot but that particular episode was meh. If anyone wanted to give that amazing series a watch, definitely do NOT start with this recent episode. If you were to watch only one episode, start with Season 2, Episode 8 titled Identity – Part I.

With your political leanings Fish, I’m surprised you resonated with that particular recent episode. For those thinking they may try watching The Orville but haven’t yet started, stop reading this post now because I’m going to talk plot.

This recent episode draws parallels to the situation with real life David Reimer. The character in the show was born biologically female and transitioned to male as a baby. Like with David Reimer, the kid was socially raised as the gender opposite their biological gender and never knew the difference until they reached adolescence. Then biology kicked in and David Reimer / fictional character in this show developed a dysphoria.

Real life David Reimer and The Orville fictional character uncovered the truth of the natal gender transition procedure, sought to have the procedure reversed, and expressed suicidal ideation. In real life, David Reimer killed himself. In the show, the fictional character was detransitioned back to her biological gender and was happy. The kid’s parent who had originally insisted the baby be transitioned, upon seeing the happy detransitioned daughter, packed a suitcase to leave the family. The daughter said words to the effect of “Don’t leave, I love you” to which the pro-trans parent replied “I wish you’d never been born” and stormed out.

It is a really good show but this is not the episode to start with.

I like the show a lot but that particular episode was meh. If anyone wanted to give that amazing series a watch, definitely do NOT start with this recent episode. If you were to watch only one episode, start with Season 2, Episode 8 titled Identity – Part I.

With your political leanings Fish, I’m surprised you resonated with that particular recent episode. For those thinking they may try watching The Orville but haven’t yet started, stop reading this post now because I’m going to talk plot.

This recent episode draws parallels to the situation with real life David Reimer. The character in the show was born biologically female and transitioned to male as a baby. Like with David Reimer, the kid was socially raised as the gender opposite their biological gender and never knew the difference until they reached adolescence. Then biology kicked in and David Reimer / fictional character in this show developed a dysphoria.

Real life David Reimer and The Orville fictional character uncovered the truth of the natal gender transition procedure, sought to have the procedure reversed, and expressed suicidal ideation. In real life, David Reimer killed himself. In the show, the fictional character was detransitioned back to her biological gender and was happy. The kid’s parent who had originally insisted the baby be transitioned, upon seeing their happy detransitioned daughter, packed a suitcase to leave the family. The daughter said words to the effect of “Don’t leave, I love you” to which the pro-trans parent replied “I wish you’d never been born” and stormed out.

Thanks for the ****ing spoilers jackass

Real life David Reimer and The Orville fictional character uncovered the truth of the natal gender transition procedure, sought to have the procedure reversed, and expressed suicidal ideation. In real life, David Reimer killed himself. In the show, the fictional character was detransitioned back to her biological gender and was happy. The kid’s parent who had originally insisted the baby be transitioned, upon seeing the happy detransitioned daughter, packed a suitcase to leave the family. The daughter said words to the effect of “Don’t leave, I love you” to which the pro-trans parent replied “I wish you’d never been born” and stormed out.

I have never seen or heard of this show

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I have never seen or heard of this show
My mistake. It is a good show though if you ever liked the old Star Trek - The Next Generation.

It took some time finding its footing and grew into itself mid-way through the second season. It now plays so close to Star Trek TNG that it is easy to forget this is not in the Star Trek universe.

Cheerleaders regularly get worse injuries, and yet they won't stop cheerleading.. Thank you for presenting this clear example of anti-trans bigotry, even though you're likely so blinded by your own hate that you didn't realize that's what is was.

Is it true that the shooter of the Colorado Springs night club was arrested earlier this year for making bomb threats? How did he get the weapon(s) for this shooting? Do we yet have a motive? I’m assuming he’s a homophobe here but I haven’t read a motive yet.

At least you are consistent in being consistently wrong. The shooter identifies as non-binary and uses they/them pronouns.
Some kind of weird incel situation maybe? Will be interesting to hear if we ever get a motive for this.

Is it true that the shooter of the Colorado Springs night club was arrested earlier this year for making bomb threats? How did he get the weapon(s) for this shooting? Do we yet have a motive? I’m assuming he’s a homophobe here but I haven’t read a motive yet.
Apparently he has the weapons previously. No one used the red flag law.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app