What's new

Any interest in Dragan Bender next summer?

The Jazz don't have much to give them. Why would they want Favors when they have Howard? They can't afford Favors option next year at 18 million.

The best thing they could give them is Favors, Jae, and a first round pick. Do they really want that? And do the Jazz want that if they think they have a chance at Harris or Middleton using their cap-space next season?

Isn't it possible that Washington might be interested in cap-clearing moves? Might not Favors and Burks have value for them for this reason? (Not to mention that they might still help them into the playoffs this year).

We'd have to give them a pick, too, obviously. At least one first-rounder.

Tony Jones reported that the jazz had serious interest in Middleton. But perhaps with the success Milwaukee is having this year, he’ll be harder to get.

Dunno.

The interest the FO has in OP Jr seems well-known enough.... It’s hard not to speculate.

Washington is in desperate need of a shakeup and OP is the scapegoat. If he continues in this malaise he will hurt his trade value. He is viewed as a good player but somewhat overpaid. He is a complementary talent so it is different than a Blake Griffin type where you give up value cuz he's something to build around.

They need cap relief in the worst way. Howard isn't reliable, so adding some depth in Favs would be good. I would do any combo of Favs, Thabo, AB plus a first rounder. If they value Tony Bradley they can have him. Don't have time to outline all the numbers, but we could save them $10M this year in certain structures... when you are in the tax and not in the playoffs that is a significant amount of money. The expirings bring salary relief next year when they need it most. I would reluctantly put Jae in the deal too if we needed to... but would try to keep him around. Jae (cheap cost controlled vet) and a first is about what the return would be for Otto.

Another note of Otto's trade value... he only has one more year left on his deal. He has a player option for 20-21 so there is only contract downside there. If he plays well he goes out on FA if only to lock up a longer deal at or near his current rate. He also has a trade kicker that could kill deals if not waived. So Minny decides to trade for him but he doesn't want to go there then he can keep the kicker... would cost the Wiz an additional $8-9M and makes trade matching harder. So they need to move him to a situation he wants to go to, so that he will waive the trade kicker. Utah may not be the top of the list, but as a basketball fit I think it's ideal.

So here is my theory... We want to keep the cap space unless a guy like this becomes available at a discount (useable expirings, cash savings, and a 1st is a discount). If not we go into FA and see what we can do. Operating over the cap has it's advantages. I'm going to lay all this out at some point in it's own thread... gonna just enjoy basketball right now.

Tony Jones reported that the jazz had serious interest in Middleton. But perhaps with the success Milwaukee is having this year, he’ll be harder to get.

Dunno.

The interest the FO has in OP Jr seems well-known enough.... It’s hard not to speculate.

Milwaukee is in "Keep the Freak" mode if they need to they will go 5 year max to Middleton and he'd be wise to take it and run.

Washington's cap situation is really rough. They can keep this **** show together and pay 50-60M in luxury tax next year... or they can watch Oubre, Satoransky, Morris walk and re-tool with minimums around Beal, Wall, Porter and still end up paying a little tax. Stretching Mahimni will cause some repeater tax issue/concerns. If Otto were to get hurt and opt in to his last year they are looking at another tax bill.

They will lose something next year... they need to decide if they can get anything back. I can't see the owner thinking this is worth keeping together... but I also though their GM would get canned years ago.

We have to go from good to great... tough leap to make. Ricky is good but there may be great options out there. Not just pgs... we could go without a traditional point and add another wing. Ingles is flexible and DM can handle some of the PG duties. Our system doesn’t need the traditional pg.

DMX, the holy spirit jingles, stifle tower, niko dropping bombs and then lobster tail, buckets, georgous georges, houdini, cobra kai off the bench. What more could you want? Slick ricky is just the frosting.
If the jazz would have got niko for cheap when they could have and let favors walk and allocate his money for other backups then we would be championship bound.

DMX, the holy spirit jingles, stifle tower, niko dropping bombs and then lobster tail, buckets, georgous georges, houdini, cobra kai off the bench. What more could you want? Slick ricky is just the frosting.
If the jazz would have got niko for cheap when they could have and let favors walk and allocate his money for other backups then we would be championship bound.
that "cheap" deal for Niko (who expires this year) woulda cost us Cobra Kai. FYI.

Washington's cap situation is really rough. They can keep this **** show together and pay 50-60M in luxury tax next year... or they can watch Oubre, Satoransky, Morris walk and re-tool with minimums around Beal, Wall, Porter and still end up paying a little tax. Stretching Mahimni will cause some repeater tax issue/concerns. If Otto were to get hurt and opt in to his last year they are looking at another tax bill.

They will lose something next year... they need to decide if they can get anything back. I can't see the owner thinking this is worth keeping together... but I also though their GM would get canned years ago.

Oubre will likely be the casualty of war, with any team wanting him having to take Mahinmi's 16m as well. I thought the Jazz might be players for Oubre, but DL decided to throw the kitchen sink at Derrick Favors and Dante Exum

No, unless it is cheap and he would play for the Stars. He is too vanilla and doesn't do anything extremely well.

Would it be possible to sign a guy like Middleton, Harris or Niko and still re-sign Rubio? Couldn't we let Favors, Burks and Neto walk, sign one of Middleton, Harris or Niko and then go into the luxury tax to re-sign Rubio?

Would it be possible to sign a guy like Middleton, Harris or Niko and still re-sign Rubio? Couldn't we let Favors, Burks and Neto walk, sign one of Middleton, Harris or Niko and then go into the luxury tax to re-sign Rubio?

Ricky could sign with us for less as a free agent, but we would have to forfeit his rights first to sign Niko. There is a chance he could walk in that scenario.

By my eye he looks like a guy that would benefit from being a system player. He just seemed lost in Phoenix's offense to me. Almost excluded.

But, I think he could do well in Utah. He's got great size for a PF and was hitting 36 percent of his 3s last year on a health number of attempts.

Definitely a risky/flyer type of play, but if all the blue chip players shun us, I wouldn't mind giving him a try on a limited risk sort of deal.

seems lost in Phoenix offense lnao. No dude he just sucks.

that "cheap" deal for Niko (who expires this year) woulda cost us Cobra Kai. FYI.
I’ve come around a lot on Allen, but his skillset is superfluous given our glaring need for an all-situations stretchy, productive 4. This cobbled-together solution for the position is functional, but it’s the glaring hole in this team’s roster composition, especially considering that the team lacks reliable gravimetric players on offense outside of Mitchell.

While we are talking about it. The Salary Cap for 2019-20 will be $109 million (up $7 million from this year). The luxury tax will be $134 million (up $8 million from this year). https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-sets-salary-cap-2019-20-2020-21-seasons-020033583.html

For 2019-20, we have the following contracts:
Gobert $25
Favors $16.9 (team option)
Ingles $12
Exum $9.6
Crowder $7.8
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
Neto $2 (team option)
Niang $1.6 (team option)
O'Neale $1.6 (team option)
Draft pick cap hold $2
TOTAL: $87 million
Rubio has a cap hold of $22.5 million until we either renounce him or re-sign him.

So we will have zero cap space ($87+Rubio's $22.5 cap hold) if we bring back Neto and Favors and while we wait to re-sign Rubio. Even if we renounce Thabo, Udoh and Burks, we are at $109ish already.

If we let Favors and Neto go, we are at $68 million plus Rubio's cap hold. Let's just say we re-sign Rubio to the same money he makes now ($15), we would have almost $26 million to spend. A max contract offer next summer for a player with 6 or less years experience will start at $27.25 million (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html).

So if we let Rubio go OR sign him for $13 or less, we would have the max contract money available to make a run at any NBA unrestricted free agent who has 6 or less years of service. Middleton is currently in his 7th year...

Last edited: