What's new

Anyone collect sports cards?

Keefe

As a kid, I collected baseball cards. I had about 30,000. But they became so overproduced they became worthless.

I have two friends who collect vintage basketball primarily and whose collections total about $500,000. The cards have exploded in the last five months.

That doesn’t interest me as much as football, whose cards imo and in the opinion of my friends who are really into this, are quite undervalued. So I started collecting. My first legit card was a Jim Brown rookie card PSA7. I’ve picked up some more stuff as well. I wanted to see if anyone else collects anything of the sort.

As a kid, I collected baseball cards. I had about 30,000. But they became so overproduced they became worthless.

I have two friends who collect vintage basketball primarily and whose collections total about $500,000. The cards have exploded in the last five months.

That doesn’t interest me as much as football, whose cards imo and in the opinion of my friends who are really into this, are quite undervalued. So I started collecting. My first legit card was a Jim Brown rookie card PSA7. I’ve picked up some more stuff as well. I wanted to see if anyone else collects anything of the sort.
I have a bunch (well, several hundred, not several thousand) of mid-90s cards. I tried to sell them maybe 7 or so years ago and was told to save the gas it would take to drive to the card shops.

I just saw something about values being very high right now. Not sure that applies to cards in the era I have.

In a week or so, I’ll post a pic of the cards I’ve gotten so far. For having just gotten into this over the last three weeks, I’m beyond excited at what I have so far.

My one major regret is not buying a Unitas 7 rc for $2,000 a week and a half ago. Could’ve had it and didn’t. Worth about $3,500-4,000 now.

I stopped collecting in the late 90s. Baseball cards began going through a "chase" card craze starting in the early 90s. These were rarer, gimmick cards, that were randomly inserted into the packs. I believe the Donruss Elite series was the first At first this marketing strategy worked great. You genuinely felt like you won the lottery as their values were often in the hundeds. Anyways, I think that's what eventually killed the hobby, the chase cards became everything, and the regular cards were looked at as meaningless.

I have a bunch (well, several hundred, not several thousand) of mid-90s cards. I tried to sell them maybe 7 or so years ago and was told to save the gas it would take to drive to the card shops.

I just saw something about values being very high right now. Not sure that applies to cards in the era I have.

Burn em.