What's new

Anyone have an experience with tankless water heaters?

Me too. A little scary since we have very cold ground water and I don't know anyone who uses one for their house.

Like I said, I'll be sure to let everyone know either way.

You will love it. My old 9.5gpm was awesome, and I had cold ground water too. Just purchased a new house with 2 50 gallon heaters. Will definitely be swapping then for one large capacity tankless. The only negative is it can take a bit longer for the hot water to get to bathrooms that are far away, but no more than 20 seconds. Sucked most for hand washing in the winter... Fixed it my installing a point of use heater for that faucet. Decided against a recirculation pump as it was only an issue for one of our bathrooms, but that could be a solution if you have similar problems.

You will love it. My old 9.5gpm was awesome, and I had cold ground water too. Just purchased a new house with 2 50 gallon heaters. Will definitely be swapping then for one large capacity tankless. The only negative is it can take a bit longer for the hot water to get to bathrooms that are far away, but no more than 20 seconds. Sucked most for hand washing in the winter... Fixed it my installing a point of use heater for that faucet. Decided against a recirculation pump as it was only an issue for one of our bathrooms, but that could be a solution if you have similar problems.

Even with a tank I have to wait a really long time for hot water in most places upstairs. My understanding is that the tankless unit only adds 4-8 seconds to whatever time you would deal with normally. Obviously, whatever water is in the pipes between the hot water source and the faucet has to clear out before you get hot water, regardless of a tank or tankless. I might consider adding a small electric point of use unit under my kitchen sink.

So I'm down to the ventilation. It's the part I'm kind of dreading the most as I've never punched a hole in the side of my house before. I'm sure it'll be fine...

I'll post picks of my super pro job when I get a chance.

Just got done taking a nice hot shower. Haven't stress tested the unit to find the point where it can't keep up (it's a 6.6gpm unit that drops to 4.2 for a 70 degree temp rise, I'm in a three person household so that should work just fine). No problems running a single shower and putting out 120F water.

One cool thing is that it has a digital controller that you can use to adjust water temp. So if you want a 105F shower you can set that temp and turn on just the hot water. Or, if you're about to run the dishwasher you can bump the temp up to 140F and cut down on the time it takes your dishwasher to get up to temp. I doubt I'll feel like messing with it every time I want hot water, but if I wanted to I could.

Anyway, so far so good.

This bad boy is going in tomorrow.

51axqvgVY0L._SX355_.jpg

I think I'm ready.

I will report back with my experiences. I have a large tub in the master bath that I can't fill even 1/3 full with me sitting in it. I hope to fill it with hot water all the way for the first time.

I clicked the thread without remembering the thread title. Thought the pic was a flask and was way confused about filling the bathtub..

I love my tankless.

Just got done taking a nice hot shower. Haven't stress tested the unit to find the point where it can't keep up (it's a 6.6gpm unit that drops to 4.2 for a 70 degree temp rise, I'm in a three person household so that should work just fine). No problems running a single shower and putting out 120F water.

One cool thing is that it has a digital controller that you can use to adjust water temp. So if you want a 105F shower you can set that temp and turn on just the hot water. Or, if you're about to run the dishwasher you can bump the temp up to 140F and cut down on the time it takes your dishwasher to get up to temp. I doubt I'll feel like messing with it every time I want hot water, but if I wanted to I could.

Anyway, so far so good.

Maybe I'm wrong but most sources online say not to lower your temp below 120 I think or bacteria and what not can grow in the lines. The temp varies source to source but 120 seemed like the most common figure.

Not sure if I'm correct here but I think I recall looking at lowering the temp on my hot water heater and most people online said don't lower it below x.

Anyway, so far so good.

I measured water temp to see what is comfortable for showering for me. 120F is like showering in Satan's piss. I think I would literally pass out. 105 is just right.

I measured water temp to see what is comfortable for showering for me. 120F is like showering in Satan's piss. I think I would literally pass out. 105 is just right.
The water heater is set to 120F. I was mixing hot and cold water for my shower. No way I could take a 120F shower.

I'm confused. Considering you're an atheist, is passing out in satan's piss a bad thing??

Passing out in Satan's piss is no big deal, the flying spaghetti monster wraps us in his noodly appendages and protects us. Thank you flying spaghetti monster! I pray to thee.

Are you saying you received a golden shower from Satan? Freaky.