What's new

Anyone interested in starting a pirate radio station?

scootsy

Been wanting to do this for a while. Can get us set up and running for about $500. Will only have about a 10-20 mile radius and will broadcast only on frequencies that won't upset the fcc too much. hopefully. lemme know.

Been wanting to do this for a while. Can get us set up and running for about $500. Will only have about a 10-20 mile radius and will broadcast only on frequencies that won't upset the fcc too much. hopefully. lemme know.

forgive me.. what's the purpose?

If this is not a "joke" that I don't get I'd plan with a higher budget as lawsuits aren't that cheap. You know it's the 21st century you could start an Internet station w/o violating frequency distribution. In case you're all about "upsetting the fcc" there's easier and cheaper ways to achieve that.

I'm in! What's the starting salary? What's my time slot?

forgive me.. what's the purpose?

whatever individual dj's would want it to be. essentially, we set up the transmitter + antenna at some random location (probably somewhere a little south of slc) and give dj's ability to access the transmitter via shoutcast. so if anyone would want to participate, in wahtever way they wanted, be it doing sports talk, playing music, etc., we could all share central broadcasting, but operate individually from their home.

If this is not a "joke" that I don't get I'd plan with a higher budget as lawsuits aren't that cheap. You know it's the 21st century you could start an Internet station w/o violating frequency distribution. In case you're all about "upsetting the fcc" there's easier and cheaper ways to achieve that.

budget was only for equipment. lawsuits are not a problem, i probably won't bill myself my typical hourly rate.

budget was only for equipment. lawsuits are not a problem, i probably won't bill myself my typical hourly rate.

Ok so you want to tell us you're a lawayer and still think it's a smart move. I know a thing or two from the regulatory side. And if I'm not completely mistaken you have to pay fines too? And while you will probably use channels that are in property of the government, you additionally risk being charged from other parties for out of band emissions.
But tell me how the experience was when it's up and running and maybe/probably gone after that.

whatever individual dj's would want it to be. essentially, we set up the transmitter + antenna at some random location (probably somewhere a little south of slc) and give dj's ability to access the transmitter via shoutcast. so if anyone would want to participate, in wahtever way they wanted, be it doing sports talk, playing music, etc., we could all share central broadcasting, but operate individually from their home.

Could I share cooking recipes too? Like maybe some dutch oven stuff?

you would choose! and if your show is really good, you keep whatever advertisers would want to pay for air time

You can advertise on a pirate radio station? Wouldn't the companies somehow be complicit?

Ok so you want to tell us you're a lawayer and still think it's a smart move. I know a thing or two from the regulatory side. And if I'm not completely mistaken you have to pay fines too? And while you will probably use channels that are in property of the government, you additionally risk being charged from other parties for out of band emissions.
But tell me how the experience was when it's up and running and maybe/probably gone after that.

Okay, negative Nancy, enough of your pushing us to act like adults.. trying to have a little fun here.

no i am not actually a lawyer. and no i don't think its a smart move legally. but the fines wouldn't be too bad because i wouldn't choose to play any music, forgoing the need to pay licensing and royalty fees.

and it's unlikely that advertisers hop on board, but if you get enough listeners, ie broadcast at a regular time and gain a dedicated following, then i guarantee some people would pay for commercial time.

we live in a relatively tiny populated area. fcc isn't too active around here, doubt people would really question us, but i would take all necessary precautions to protect whoever wanted to participate!

will i get fracted for promoting illegal activity? would legitimize my desire to do this

Pirates just aren't that popular any more. Sure, you had Johnny Depp and the whole Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, but that ran its course. College students behaving badly never gets old, especially if there's alcohol and beads involved. Go webcast and throw in some bouncy coeds.

Besides the fact that my voice is kind of weird and I talk real fast and mumble, I would kill it on the radio.

In.