What's new

Anyone playing Ingress?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Ok since I have been away, I probably missed it if someone posted this already, but is anyone else here playing Ingress?

13+-+1

Ok so does anyone want to play Ingress? I have a few invitations to hand out. It is still in beta but it's pretty fun and interesting.

Actually since playing Ingress I have seen parts of the cities I have visited I would probably have never seen. It is a decent way to get a guided walking tour of almost any city in the world. And it's a video game and a strategy game as well. It's been fun, and my whole family is playing now for the most part. Gets everyone out of the house on a regular basis.

Actually since playing Ingress I have seen parts of the cities I have visited I would probably have never seen. It is a decent way to get a guided walking tour of almost any city in the world. And it's a video game and a strategy game as well. It's been fun, and my whole family is playing now for the most part. Gets everyone out of the house on a regular basis.

I don't have any idea what ingress is, but if it includes leaving the house, count me out.

dat jazzfanz.com mobile app doe

Ingress is played on a mobile android device. It is an augmented reality MMRPG. You can download the app free from the google play store (that is a screen shot of the app, called the "scanner", in game-play in the first post). Since it is in beta you need an invitation to play, and since I have been playing since the game was released last Thanksgiving I have several invitations available if anyone is interested.

Basically it is a sci-fi game that uses the entire world as its map in real time, and you compete against other players in real space in real time. All players are divided into one of two sides, the Enlightened, or the Resistance. So there are basically 2 teams worldwide. It is highly cooperative as to really get anywhere in the game you need to work with other players.

The creators of the game have built an in-depth and detailed sci-fi story that deals with inter-dimensional beings trying to infiltrate the earth, with the 2 sides in the game either supporting the invasion (the Enlightened) or attempting to stop it (the Resistance). These being are attempting to enter our world through "portals", that emanate multi-dimensional energy used by the "scanner" app to play the game. These portals were initially set up using the Historical Marker Database.

https://www.hmdb.org/

In essence, every historical marker on the planet, at least those that are in the database, which is pretty extensive, is a "portal" and are locations to play the game. You claim a portal for your side, and the other side tries to reclaim the portal. Most public buildings (capitol, city hall, etc.), fire stations, and post offices are also portals. There are weapons and defensive devices to use in the battle. Recently they have been accepting submissions for new portals from the players, so there are new ones coming online all the time. In bigger cities (L.A., New York, Berlin, Tokyo, Moscow, Beijing, etc.) there can be thousands of them. Even here in the Reno area there are well over 100 of them, and over 40 in Virginia City, since every freaking building up there is labeled a historic monument of some kind. Salt Lake City has a lot too.

It works on a level system as well as a rewards system of sorts. You gain experience by playing the game, and get to higher levels which unlocks higher level stuff to play with, for weapons and defense. But there is another facet of the game in which you attempt to control as much of the game map for your side as possible, with large tracts changing hands among the 2 factions with regularity. This is where cooperating game-play come in the most, since you need to work with other players to really take control of large areas. You do this by linking portals together in a triangle to form fields that cover the space in between. It then records a score of the estimated population living in that triangle. Currently the score is around 28 mill apiece. It is fairly evenly balanced, but the Resistance outnumbers the Enlightened, in terms of players playing the game, by close to a 3 to 1 margin, much higher in some areas. In Reno it is more like 5 to 1.

There is a map of the playing field (i.e. the world), showing every portal and field created by linking portals, available for registered players at

https://www.ingress.com/intel

Here is an intel map image showing portals and a field:

IngressDayOne.jpg

It has been interesting as it is in beta so they are developing it as we are playing it, making changes and upgrades according to the community voice. I was involved in other beta testing in the past (most notably the original Doom, Doom II and Quake, since I have a mutual friend with John Carmack), but this has been something entirely different. You don't have to wait until the game is in full release to see a lot of the tweaking they have been doing to the code, as it happens in real time. It is also interesting playing real people. I have had many duels with people in real-time over portals and fields, and met many players on both sides of the game. It's really pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(game)

Ingress? NEEEEERRRRRDDDD!

Which faction are you? If you choose poorly. You are dead to me.

I don't actually play it, though. Got three friends who do and have no problem standing in the dark fairly late at night in front of a nice restaurant on Valentine's Day alone hacking a portal.

I am in the Enlightened obviously. The only true faction. And I stood in front of a restaurant on Valentines day defending a portal with my wife by my side helping me defend it. Then we went home for some hot secks.

Ingress gets you some my friend.