What's new

Game Thread Apr 05, 2021 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 04-05-21

It would be interesting to rewatch this game and see exactly what Dallas was doing. They managed to pull Rudy (and Favors) out on switches several times, leading to mismatches and the paint open for offensive rebounds. The Jazz are usually pretty good at keeping Gobert closer to the rim.

This game is only just one game, but it's still concerning.

I love these guys but still don't think the make up of this roster works for a title run. We have too much of the same. Bogey, Ingles, Royce, Niang.
All of those guys contribute, but we need more size, more defense, more athleticism, etc.

We are small with Conley, Don, Royce. I worry about bigger more physical teams in the playoffs. We have no interior game. So unless we are hot from deep
we are in big trouble. Second chance points also concern me.

I think by the end of the season Niang island will be a couple of fat dudes in hawaiian shirts singing Margaritaville.

0-8 royce? Really?
The worst part regarding Royce in my opinion was that all but maybe two of his shots were really off. They were wide, way short, etc. He had I think two corner threes that might as well have been hits, but the rest weren't close.

I was secretely hoping that in the crap game like this Clarkson's streak of consecutive games with a 3 pointer would end so Boler stops getting excited about it every damn game.

It would be interesting to rewatch this game and see exactly what Dallas was doing. They managed to pull Rudy (and Favors) out on switches several times, leading to mismatches and the paint open for offensive rebounds. The Jazz are usually pretty good at keeping Gobert closer to the rim.
On the few occasions I got to watch the game, seems like Mavs took out a page from when Clippers beat the Jazz. They indeed switched several times and tried to pull Rudy out.

Going into the week I kind of had the feeling that we'd split the Dallas and Phoenix games. Now we just need the Jazz to regroup and make it happen against the Suns, especially since they picked up a full game on us with our loss to the Mavs.

On the few occasions I got to watch the game, seems like Mavs took out a page from when Clippers beat the Jazz. They indeed switched several times and tried to pull Rudy out.
If Donovan and especially Royce(who gets a LOT of slack compared to other players)hits a few wide open 3s we're right in this game.

Bogey did a better job on Luka than Royce this game. That was weird.
Luka is built a lot like Bogey, and he's crafty but not super quick or freakishly athletic, so I'm not surprised bogey could hang with him a bit better then Royce who is always undersized to his defensive assignments and tends to do better against pure iso players.

Frankly it's a good sign that it takes either fully rested super-stars and us in the end of a long road trip (clippers) or teams literally setting nba records (nuggets) or teams shooting far far above their weight (dallas) combined with us having very very bad shooting nights to beat us. Just shows that over the course of a series, those scenarios are not things you can plan. Yeah we will stink up at least one game in each series, so we aren't sweeping our way to the finals, but the path is getting clearer and clearer as we see teams needing super-human and non-repeatable effort (was it powell that went 5-5 on 3s or something?) Just to squeak by us when our "super-star" and other key people cannot throw a rock in the ocean.

We'll be fine. Better than fine. WCF is becoming our floor.

This game is only just one game, but it's still concerning.

I love these guys but still don't think the make up of this roster works for a title run. We have too much of the same. Bogey, Ingles, Royce, Niang.
All of those guys contribute, but we need more size, more defense, more athleticism, etc.

We are small with Conley, Don, Royce. I worry about bigger more physical teams in the playoffs. We have no interior game. So unless we are hot from deep
we are in big trouble. Second chance points also concern me.

I think by the end of the season Niang island will be a couple of fat dudes in hawaiian shirts singing Margaritaville.
I thought that's what it is now.

They played physical on the perimeter and contained the ball-handler. When the Jazz were able to break it and get a good shot, they werent falling. Then they started forcing bad shots.

Don was wasting possession after possession. Ingles just wasn't trying. It looked like he just wanted Conley to do everything in the 1st half. Can't believe Royce played this badly in his homecoming game. I think only his last attempt even hit the inside of the rim

@Nicksti

random ****, but I don't think your username is random although I guess it's top secret if you drive a Subaru STi. I am a Subaru STi owner and have been curious if you are too. I don't know if, although it's part of your username, you feel like that is too much personal info to share on the internet but whatever. Just trying to get to know a new poster.
No. Subarus are for hippies.

How am I a new poster? I have been here since 2013.

I was secretely hoping that in the crap game like this Clarkson's streak of consecutive games with a 3 pointer would end so Boler stops getting excited about it every damn game.

The damn streak needs to end so Clarkson stops hunting for that first 3. I truly think this streak is on his mind and is affecting his decision making. 5 seconds left on the shot clock he'd rather pull up a 3 than try to drive it (if he hasn't made one yet)

The key to stopping the Jazz is always going to be pressing up on the ball-handlers and making it hard to drive/kick. Stall the offense out until it's just ends up being a 1-on-1 iso, which Jazz players largely suck *** at.

The damn streak needs to end so Clarkson stops hunting for that first 3. I truly think this streak is on his mind and is affecting his decision making. 5 seconds left on the shot clock he'd rather pull up a 3 than try to drive it (if he hasn't made one yet)
Clarkson cant really drive though. The guy doesnt know how to draw fouls and most of his paint makes are from stopping and pivoting into a floater or turnaround.

I think Clarkson just comes in and sees the offense is running like ****, so he is going to take the first available look possible because the offense isnt producing anything better.

Dallas certainly has good/smart defenders, but none of their dudes are lockdown and without Porzingis they have no rim protection. I just don't get how Mitchell played so poorly. In the other two Dallas games the Jazz didnt have Mitchell and they won easily both times. This game should have been an easy 30 points for Mitchell tbh.

Dallas certainly has good/smart defenders, but none of their dudes are lockdown and without Porzingis they have no rim protection. I just don't get how Mitchell played so poorly. In the other two Dallas games the Jazz didnt have Mitchell and they won easily both times. This game should have been an easy 30 points for Mitchell tbh.
How often does Bogie have a good game and Mitchell an efficient one? I would like to see the numbers.