What's new

Game Thread Apr 12, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Wizards

Added to Calendar: 04-12-21

It wasn't called a charge, though. Refs said offensive foul. Gobert lowered his shoulder.

That said, I think it was a good play and challenging it made sense but it was probably one of those calls that refs are unwilling to overturn because the contact is clear.
Officiating in the nba is stupid. I think it was the very next play that Ingles absolutely gets plowed by Beal but does the normal human reaction instead of crumpling to the ground and it was a play on.

The refs were trash tonight... not just against us... they were really bad

Officiating in the nba is stupid. I think it was the very next play that Ingles absolutely gets plowed by Beal but does the normal human reaction instead of crumpling to the ground and it was a play on.

The refs were trash tonight... not just against us... they were really bad
For sure, flopping matter

I believe the awkwardness plays a much bigger role, though. Gobert gets a pretty fair whistle in PnRs because he rolls hard and is comfortable in those situations but when he creates his own shot, he doesn't really command respect.

It's one of the reasons Jokic doesn't get fair enough whistle too. He has an awkward body.

Beal looked much more fluid and in control so he gets the benefit.

It wasn't called a charge, though. Refs said offensive foul. Gobert lowered his shoulder.

That said, I think it was a good play and challenging it made sense but it was probably one of those calls that refs are unwilling to overturn because the contact is clear.

5:24
i
Rudy Gobert offensive charge112 - 98

5:24
i
Rudy Gobert offensive charge112 - 98

I am not sure that is correct. I may as well be wrong and missed it but refs signalled offensive foul and not a charge.

Edit: it seems there isn't a different hand signal for charges in the NBA but there is in Euros, I think. If it was issued a charge, no way that doesn't get overturned.

Last edited:
It's exactly what shows how good we are. Whether we win or lose isn't based on just not being good enough, it's almost 100% our effort. We play hard, particularly on D, and the other team will require record-level performance to beat us. But we just try to coast along and we lose. We haven't had a team this good in a long time where success is dependent entirely on whether we choose to win or not, basically.
Which is why there is no reason to put too much effort in the regular season right now. We need to stay healthy and get ready for really matters, the playoffs. We should be able to coast to the #1 seed now. We need to put bad teams away early though more often. It would be nice to get wins resting guys and putting in low effort but that won't happen every time(although it has most games for awhile). Especially when a team is shooting hot.

i think "punching the air" is the NBA signal for a charge?

referee.png
Yeah. I watched some Ersan highlights, lol. No difference between charges and offensive fouls. I think there may have been a difference in the Europe and that's why it stuck with me but I am not sure about that either now, haha.

Lopez drawing a "charge" while standing far inside the restricted area:

blocking_foul.png

cost the Jazz around 2.6 points in this case. probably the best risk/reward challenge opportunity of the season, but Quin does nothing.
Can't believe he didn't challenge that one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

JMO: the Jazz are a 4-5 seed walking around in a 1 seed body. I hope I’m wrong.
I don't think you're wrong, unfortunately. It's been a weird season with everything being shortened and COVID still a problem. When things like that happen, you get abnormal results. Honestly, if this was any normal 82 game season with no pandemic, the Jazz is probably not 1st and more in line with what the franchise has been for the last 20+ years - exactly that 4/5 seed.

Jazz may luck out and grab that first seed but it won't mean much in a seven game season. That's my concern. We'll see and I hope this is just a bump in the road before a strong finish and a really, really successful playoff but it just seems like the Jazz is this year's 2017 Boston Celtics.

In the last 14 games Royce has scored in double figures once (he scored exactly 10 points)

He is our starting small forward who plays about 32 minutes per game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah and he's basically the only one other than Rudy who rebounds. But really he gets his spot because we are woefully undermanned against wings on D. And that's the bad part, that he's probably our best perimeter defender against the bigger wings. And that's also going to be our achilles heel.

We can win the whole thing but we have to:

- stay healthy
- shoot 40% from 3
- stay out of foul trouble
- make the extra pass

- hope we don't play an opponent that has two guys go off like Murray and Jokic did last year

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

We can win the whole thing but we have to:

- stay healthy
- shoot 40% from 3
- stay out of foul trouble
- make the extra pass

- hope we don't play an opponent that has two guys go off like Murray and Jokic did last year

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

You missed defend the perimeter, and limit second chance points.