What's new

Game Thread Apr 18, 2022 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 2

Added to Calendar: 04-18-22

While I agree with the sentiments on this page, may I remind everyone that when we had Favors (version 1), Rubio, Crowder, etc, and a great Defense, we retooled to get 4 shooters around Rudy and spacing for Don.

The pendulum swung too far.

The goal is actually to find guys who can shoot AND play defense.

I wish the Jazz invested more in NAW. I know he's not perfect, but he'd be able to defend, make some open shots and make a play with the pass. That's what the Jazz need right now. Conley didn't bring it.

Phx has backup wings better than our starting wings. Cam Johnson only averages 26 mins for them off the bench. He’d easily start and be our best wing right now.
I wanted to disagree with this, but just looked up his stats and he's playing really well this year. Maybe his only weakness is his rebounding. I wonder how long can Phoenix keep this team together and competitive?

Why not play him now? He was acquired a few months ago.

He's not ready to play in the playoffs. He was probably the worst/most inefficient offensive player in the league this year. He needs a lot of development.

It's funny, for all the talk about our great depth this season and how this is the most talent we've ever had on the back end of the roster, Quin still only trusts 8 guys in the playoffs. He's played 9 so far, but Juancho only played 5 minutes in the first game and 7 in the second, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him completely cut out of the rotation as the series goes on.

Can he play perimeter defense?

Historically he's not been good throughout his career so far. I believe he has the size and tools to be a good perimeter defender, but I don't think he's there yet.

He's not ready to play in the playoffs. He was probably the worst/most inefficient offensive player in the league this year. He needs a lot of development.
That’s an absurd comment. Conley has been getting most of the PT over the season and look at what he did last night.

That’s an absurd comment. Conley has been getting most of the PT over the season and look at what he did last night.

What's absurd about it? Naw was arguably the most inefficient player in the entire league on offense this year, he shot just 37% from the field and 31% from 3 with the Pelicans and was even worse after joining the Jazz, 33% from the field and 30% from 3. His EFG% is just 44 and TS% just 47 this season. Conley had a bad game...it happens. Naw is definitely not the answer at this point.

Last edited:
Quin is one weird dude. He has his teacher's pets and if someone not in that category makes a mistake, off with their head. How many guys have we seen hit the waiver wire or get dumped in a trade when at one time they were "an outstanding prospect."

What's absurd about it? Naw was arguably the most inefficient player in the entire league on offense this year, he shot just 37% from the field and 31% from 3 with the Pelicans and was even worse after joining the Jazz, 33% from the field and 30% from 3. His EFG% is just 44 and TS% just 47 this season. Conley had a bad game...it happens. Naw is definitely not the answer at this point.
It’s absurd to claim that NAW isn’t ready. The sample size with the jazz was tiny. At this point, I don’t think we should just blindly assert that the veterans are “more ready” or capable than the young guns.

We got Rudy gay to offer veteran leadership and I think Eric probably could’ve been just as productive. One could make a case that Juancho is actually a better fit right now than either. One could say that Conley is the most ready of our guards but has looked the worst out of all 3. I’m curious what butler can do, especially defensively.

I think it’s absurd to claim that NAW isn’t ready. At this point, what have we to lose? Maybe we discover something? Perhaps that’s why we should’ve used this season better to experiment with lineups? All well to late now. Might as well try it on the fly before Dallas does to us what the clippers did.

Last edited:
There was this moment after the first quarter when they showed Quin talking to the guys and it was something like "guys, look at the scoreboard, we are fine.." it was 24:24. It seemed like he wanted to calm them down "we weathered the storm, they will cool down etc". But the Mavs played really hard in comparison to us. I was really expecting him to be more like "wake up guys, give more effort on d, it's not enough". In the end the Mavs didn't cool down, they kept fighting and never let us build a safe lead.

So, Luka could play in game three apparently.

I'm guessing Dallas holds him out until game four only because they really don't need him now for game three. It's not a must-win like it would have been had the Jazz won last night. They can still lose game three, come back and win game four and take the home court.

Would be something else, tho, if the Jazz lose this series 4-1.

So, Luka could play in game three apparently.

I'm guessing Dallas holds him out until game four only because they really don't need him now for game three. It's not a must-win like it would have been had the Jazz won last night. They can still lose game three, come back and win game four and take the home court.

Would be something else, tho, if the Jazz lose this series 4-1.
Pretty much