What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

I’m so sick and tired of this ****ing discussion topic!! Don’t be a damn idiot. The jazz aren’t going to trade Gobert. That’s laughable, you’re laughable for even thinking it’s possible. He is the identity of the jazz. Do you ever tire of being a complete efffing tool?
Never insult ppl who nice at me, assailant . This my friend you say it to. This rude guy.

Never insult ppl who nice at me, assailant . This my friend you say it to. This rude guy.
It's a maneesh sighting! Someone got bored and brought out the alt! Hi maneesh.

I don't expect we trade him, but am not 100% confident it's off the table. I'll be very curious to see how his extension talks play out.

Have any supermax-eligible players not been offered the supermax by their current teams? I hope Rudy feels at home with the Jazz, but he's a very proud guy. I could see an extension closer to the max vs. the supermax being a tough pill for him to swallow.

No matter who Gobert signs with, he's going to get a huge chunk of money. If I were him, I'd take the offer from the team that gives him the best chance to win a ring.

I don't expect we trade him, but am not 100% confident it's off the table. I'll be very curious to see how his extension talks play out.

Have any supermax-eligible players not been offered the supermax by their current teams? I hope Rudy feels at home with the Jazz, but he's a very proud guy. I could see an extension closer to the max vs. the supermax being a tough pill for him to swallow.
He is a very proud and emotional guy.

It is concerning that he hasn't been signed yet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

So the Tony Jones article didn’t give me a lot of reassurance on a couple things...

1- I think Rudy is looking at supermax at least for right now. It does not seem a deal is on the goal line.
2- I think the Jazz will keep him through his contract year instead of trading him. If they can’t agree I think you almost have to trade him.

I bet Mark Cuban has been getting in Rudy's ear. They would sign him for supermax and he'd get more exposure and publicity playing alongside Luka. He might get a title in Dallas as well.

I bet Mark Cuban has been getting in Rudy's ear. They would sign him for supermax and he'd get more exposure and publicity playing alongside Luka. He might get a title in Dallas as well.
NBA title for sure if he signed with Dallas. All Rudy would need to do is anchor the defense.

I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibilities that the Jazz would want to wait a year and see what they might have in Azubuike. He's 7 years younger and on a rookie deal. I could see a scenario happen where he comes in and shows real potential and the Jazz move Gobert based on that potential. That's a lot of $ that could be spent upgrading the rest of the roster but also a huge risk. Obviously you might piss Gobert off by not just getting an extension done this year & Azubuike ends up being awful then Gobert walking at the end of his deal but that would be worst case scenario. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I've gone back and forth on this, the way I feel today is he's going to ask for the supermax from Utah and he's going to get it.

This isn't bumbling a few pawns and the salary cap. The optics associated with a team being acquired by new ownership and then promptly losing their cornerstone player would set the franchise back 20 years. If the new guy is as smart as advertised this should be glaringly obvious to him.

Do not underestimate the FO’s ability to **** this up.

I've gone back and forth on this, the way I feel today is he's going to ask for the supermax from Utah and he's going to get it.

This isn't bumbling a few pawns and the salary cap. The optics associated with a team being acquired by new ownership and then promptly losing their cornerstone player would set the franchise back 20 years. If the new guy is as smart as advertised this should be glaringly obvious to him.
There are multiple ways to **** this up... one would be to give the supermax. It just doesn’t work out. Regular max is already pushing the limits given his position and potential to be a millstone if there were injuries.

The second way is to not offer the full regular max. Shaving 2-5M per year isn’t smart.

the third way is if he doesn’t agree it basically means he is leaving... so you have to trade him. Even if you get .50 on the dollar. We aren’t in a position to bleed that much talent.

It also suggests that they are tightly controlling their financial landscape. They may have a figure in the Rudy negotiations that they’re unwilling to go beyond, and that may be a sticking point.

I’m not willing to join almost everybody else in the assumption that we’re ducking the tax this year in order to spend into the tax in successive years (and thus get hit with repeater penalties). New ownership has earned none of that reputation.
Yeah. One important thing to remember with new ownership...where does his money come from? IF the Jazz go into the tax and lose 50 million, how does he pay that? Out of his own pocket? Yikes. I don't care who you are, losing 50 million is a big deal.

IF he wants to stay in Utah, he has to find a way to get cash flow from somewhere, preferably not the Jazz. IF he can't find a way to get cash flow to cover the Jazz in lean years you have one of three options: 1 - Move the team. 2 - Sell the team. 3 - Never go into the tax.

Tough future for the Jazz.

This is a bit dramatic. There are much bigger issues around the Jazz that can set the team back 20 years than losing Gobert. The problem with Gobert is, you can get a guy who isn't as good, but 80% as good, for a lot less than Gobert costs.

Yeah. One important thing to remember with new ownership...where does his money come from? IF the Jazz go into the tax and lose 50 million, how does he pay that? Out of his own pocket? Yikes. I don't care who you are, losing 50 million is a big deal.

IF he wants to stay in Utah, he has to find a way to get cash flow from somewhere, preferably not the Jazz. IF he can't find a way to get cash flow to cover the Jazz in lean years you have one of three options: 1 - Move the team. 2 - Sell the team. 3 - Never go into the tax.

Tough future for the Jazz.
I don’t think moving the team makes him all that much. I think there is a relocation fee... so I think it’d be get financing, cut costs, sell the team. Whoever buys it from him would be the ones likely to
move it.