What's new

Ask me some Jazz questions

Andy, you've been referencing Ainge's "big game hunting" comments with an inference that it will apply immediately this summer. It seems pretty clear to me from a re-watch of his comments that he's actually implying that the Jazz are ready to go big game hunting WHEN they've crafted a full team that can take the next step with a star. It certainly doesn't seem like we're a full team heading into the summer. How confident are you that the Jazz's intention is to find big free agents/trades this summer as opposed to next year, following the Cooper Flagg draft?

Andy, you've been referencing Ainge's "big game hunting" comments with an inference that it will apply immediately this summer. It seems pretty clear to me from a re-watch of his comments that he's actually implying that the Jazz are ready to go big game hunting WHEN they've crafted a full team that can take the next step with a star. It certainly doesn't seem like we're a full team heading into the summer. How confident are you that the Jazz's intention is to find big free agents/trades this summer as opposed to next year, following the Cooper Flagg draft?
The way that was interpreted and the way it appeared in print sound a bit different than the way he said it. I agree and we talked about it on the pod.

What does the future hold for Kenny Lofton Jr in a Jazz uniform if he comes into training camp in shape? Can you see him starting for the jazz next season?

I'm not Andy, but no.

Was he ever real?
I don't recall ever seeing he and Steven A. Smith in the same place at the same time.
Is Andy Steven A. Smith’s alt or is Steven A. Smith Andy’s alt?

Trae Young is very available. Other than that... I'm not really sure what stars are actually truly available. My read on the market is that the teams who are losing in the playoffs are generally trying to add to their cores rather than by full-blown starting over, with only a couple exceptions among teams with players you probably won't want. Like, the Warriors would probably trade Draymond. Does that make any sense for Utah? To me, no.

After flaming out, what about Devin Booker? I’m sure he’s the piece they do NOT want to trade but I wonder if he can be had for the right price. Three 1sts, Hendricks, etcetera, which feels a little light.

Andy actual real question, what is this teams identity and is there a direction from the front office to establish one? I have a hard time watching the team and buying in, they seem to lack a personality as a team.
It's a good question. I think ultimately they're hoping that it's either Will's identity or that whatever lead star they get establishes a culture. Danny's talked before about how the minute KG arrived in Boston, the culture did a complete 180 in that building... and I think he thinks that is applicable to this situation, too.

also .. i still don't get the Fontecchio trade. Surely he's not going to be that expensive ??? I can only make sense of it as a tank move.
I think he's going to be more expensive than people think... at least the MLE. He was legit one of the better role players in the league last year, and only got better once he went to Detroit. But I think Ainge wanted to push the asset forward and didn't necessarily 100% buy that the 3-point improvement was real.