What's new

Ask me some Jazz questions

Danny strongly indicated that we will not roll to TC with six 0-1 year guys with his "Plan A, B and C" comment.

How would you rank these scenarios in likeliness:
1) Package picks to trade up in 2024
2) Trade out of 2024 (with 1 or more of the 3 picks) taking back future picks
3) Use 2024 picks to trade for players to improve the roster now
4) Some other option that is more likely?
I don't really know, to be honest. Just don't know how they *really* think about this draft, especially the last two picks. I also suspect that the answers are super market dependent and teams don't really start talking about the pick trade market with each other until the combine at the earliest. I'm sorry that this is a lame answer.

Andy, you've been referencing Ainge's "big game hunting" comments with an inference that it will apply immediately this summer. It seems pretty clear to me from a re-watch of his comments that he's actually implying that the Jazz are ready to go big game hunting WHEN they've crafted a full team that can take the next step with a star. It certainly doesn't seem like we're a full team heading into the summer. How confident are you that the Jazz's intention is to find big free agents/trades this summer as opposed to next year, following the Cooper Flagg draft?
Yeah, it's a fair point. Some of that focus on this summer is due to both Ainge and Zanik talking about rooting for chaos in this year's playoffs, which to me is a sign they're hoping stars shake loose immediately.

But also don't think it's "this summer or bust" for them... their problem is that they also don't want to tank in 2024-25, and they do want to keep Lauri. So that makes it hard to make the Cooper Flagg draft into the Cooper Flagg draft and not the Boogie Fland draft from a Utah POV.

Reactions: Flc
What does the future hold for Kenny Lofton Jr in a Jazz uniform if he comes into training camp in shape? Can you see him starting for the jazz next season?
50/50 chance he's even on the roster by training camp. I love Kenny Lofton, and think he actually has goofy good player upside beyond, IDK, Johnny Juzang,, but 0% chance he's a starter out of training camp.

Andy, as a fellow RSL fan who has sat with you at multiple RSL games (we have a mutual friend - Spencer M.)...

is RSL legit this year and why?

Also, repeat of the question, what could the Jazz get in a return for Lauri?

Finally, how do the Jazz get a title? What's our best path?

Yeah, it's a fair point. Some of that focus on this summer is due to both Ainge and Zanik talking about rooting for chaos in this year's playoffs, which to me is a sign they're hoping stars shake loose immediately.

But also don't think it's "this summer or bust" for them... their problem is that they also don't want to tank in 2024-25, and they do want to keep Lauri. So that makes it hard to make the Cooper Flagg draft into the Cooper Flagg draft and not the Boogie Fland draft from a Utah POV.
This answer scares me. We really need to lose this coming year and the fact that Danny would rather us be mediocre when the draft has at least 2-4 perineal stars is concerning.

It's a good question. I think ultimately they're hoping that it's either Will's identity or that whatever lead star they get establishes a culture. Danny's talked before about how the minute KG arrived in Boston, the culture did a complete 180 in that building... and I think he thinks that is applicable to this situation, too.

Thats an interesting departure, under DL the feeling as a fan was the FO was driving the culture in a similar way to the Spurs. Leaving a vacuum and hoping for an organic culture strikes me as an organisational risk. In my professional life maintaining and developing culture has been the key driver of performance.

My concern is once this is lost it can be hard to find.

Keeping Lauri is as much a foregone conclusion as some think ? Is the front office willingfull to roll the dice to the last year of his contract If they're unable to get an extension this offseason ?

Edit: Can be ready for big game hunting also be ready to avoid another Hayward situation and actually start going for a Cooper Flag instead of try swing big hits from 8th, 9th, 17th and so on ? Not that it being the only option, or even the preferred option, but one that they would be prepared to go to ?

Last edited:
I don't really know, to be honest. Just don't know how they *really* think about this draft, especially the last two picks. I also suspect that the answers are super market dependent and teams don't really start talking about the pick trade market with each other until the combine at the earliest. I'm sorry that this is a lame answer.
Honest answer is the best, lame or not.

This answer scares me. We really need to lose this coming year and the fact that Danny would rather us be mediocre when the draft has at least 2-4 perineal stars is concerning.

Thinking about your perineum again, are you?

I think he's going to be more expensive than people think... at least the MLE. He was legit one of the better role players in the league last year, and only got better once he went to Detroit. But I think Ainge wanted to push the asset forward and didn't necessarily 100% buy that the 3-point improvement was real.

Thanks mate. Yeah bummed out, I thought he was a legit find who would’ve been a good keeper. I hope he gets paid

Also Andy, just saying if you're content starved with the Jazz out of the playoffs, I for one would be very interested in hearing our players' perspective on the Drake vs. Kendrick battle happening currently.

Thats an interesting departure, under DL the feeling as a fan was the FO was driving the culture in a similar way to the Spurs. Leaving a vacuum and hoping for an organic culture strikes me as an organisational risk. In my professional life maintaining and developing culture has been the key driver of performance.

My concern is once this is lost it can be hard to find.
It’s his manna from heaven approach. If people recall, when he actually left the Celtics, the perceptions was that opportunity was squandered with all the picks they had. That they ended up turning it around and making the finals after he left smoothed over that perception. I don’t know what my feelings on Ainge are but I’m a little nervous about the “something’s gonna shake loose” belief. Sometimes it shakes loose and Billy King gifts you Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatem. Sometimes it shakes loose and you get John Collins and THT.

My fear is actually most about an outside hire at the tail-end of their career. I’m afraid it will be like this scene from The Big Lebowski, where DA is Walter and The Dude is Jazz fans in a predicament but just wanting the best. As Walter talks a big talk, consistently assuaging The Dude, when it all comes crumbling down, Walter, with no real skin in the game, easily moves on and implies to The Dude that the mess he left is no biggie.

Warning: language.

View: https://youtu.be/yDVrrZkUFeE?si=Jjp_Tfj1wH-Z8pg8

It’s his manna from heaven approach. If people recall, when he actually left the Celtics, the perceptions was that opportunity was squandered with all the picks they had. That they ended up turning it around and making the finals after he left smoothed over that perception. I don’t know what my feelings on Ainge are but I’m a little nervous about the “something’s gonna shake loose” belief. Sometimes it shakes loose and Billy King gifts you Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatem. Sometimes it shakes loose and you get John Collins and THT.

My fear is actually most about an outside hire at the tail-end of their career. I’m afraid it will be like this scene from The Big Lebowski, where DA is Walter and The Dude is Jazz fans in a predicament but just wanting the best. As Walter talks a big talk, consistently assuaging The Dude, when it all comes crumbling down, Walter, with no real skin in the game, easily moves on and implies to The Dude that the mess he left is no biggie.

DA:
"You want a toe? I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock"

I think he's going to be more expensive than people think... at least the MLE. He was legit one of the better role players in the league last year, and only got better once he went to Detroit. But I think Ainge wanted to push the asset forward and didn't necessarily 100% buy that the 3-point improvement was real.
I really still would've rather kept him and gambled no one would actually pony up the money (but maybe if they did I'd take my losses and let him go, not sure). However, Procida is interesting. Do you have a take on him at all?

The Whites, Dude.

In an alternate universe, DA was a producer on Lost.