What's new

At Least the JVs Won

homeytennis

The Stars went 2-0 in Vegas. The last game Cousins was the leading scorer. Bradley and Allen played decently. Interestingly no Stars player made first or 2nd team all tournament team, not even Willie Reed. Our former 2nd round pick Jarnell Stokes who was shipped off on draft night made 1st team.

A guy that had a monster Vegas tournament was 7'1" Isaac Humphries from Australia and was rookie of the year in the Aussie league last year. JIngles won that award once.

Stars won and beat Austin for the first time in their history in SLC. No Willie Reed or Grayson Allen. Cavanaugh with a double double and he, Naz and Cousins each had 16 points. Haas had 4 points, 2 rebounds a block and a steal in 10 minutes. Bradley looks like he can't jump over a phone book. Austin coached by former Jazzman Blake Ahearn.

Stars won and beat Austin for the first time in their history in SLC. No Willie Reed or Grayson Allen. Cavanaugh with a double double and he, Naz and Cousins each had 16 points. Haas had 4 points, 2 rebounds a block and a steal in 10 minutes. Bradley looks like he can't jump over a phone book. Austin coached by former Jazzman Blake Ahearn.

**** the third Collins brother. Bum.

Bradley looks like he can't jump over a phone book.

I never understood that pick. The more I watched highlights of him after his draft the more I hated the pick, and couldn’t figure how he was being projected out as a top ten pick had he stayed in NC one more year. Even in college he just didn’t look athletic enough to make it in the NBA. would’ve been nice to have drafted Hart instead.

I never understood that pick. The more I watched highlights of him after his draft the more I hated the pick, and couldn’t figure how he was being projected out as a top ten pick had he stayed in NC one more year. Even in college he just didn’t look athletic enough to make it in the NBA. would’ve been nice to have drafted Hart instead.
It's the missed picks that are likely going to define Lindsey's tenure and keep the Jazz from being a contender. As Yogi Berra once said, "it's deja vu all over again."

Much as the Jazz of the mid-80's failed to add anyone of note after drafting Malone and Stockton, Lindsey has failed to add anyone besides Gobert and Mitchell, despite having pretty good draft position to do so. Most notably, he's wasted FIVE first round picks to end up with Brickio as his PG, traded away a few others for cash, and failed to find any "hidden gems" late in the 1st or in the 2nd. Teams that were rebuilding have now lapped the Jazz, leaving Utah - at best - vying for a late playoff slot.

Lindsey got snookered by smoke from the Spurs, rumored to be interested in Bradley. The pupil got embarrassed by his old boss. Lindsey is a below average GM. He hit on a couple of picks (and in Gobert's case, it was the Jazz' international scout that first brought Rudy to the attention of Lindsey). Those two picks likely guarantee Dennis lifetime employment for Utah, an organization that is way too loyal to its FO and coaches.

This deadline and summer should be Lindsey's last chance. In most organizations it would be. Dennis has to produce via trade or hit a home run in free agency. If he doesn't, he's wasted Gobert's prime. Rudy will likely leave to find a contender. And how much longer will Ingles be a decent player; he's getting older and I think we're already seeing the effects of heavy minutes. Jazz will be in the midst of rebuilding with Mitchell, similar to the Hayward situation.

It's the missed picks that are likely going to define Lindsey's tenure and keep the Jazz from being a contender. As Yogi Berra once said, "it's deja vu all over again."

Much as the Jazz of the mid-80's failed to add anyone of note after drafting Malone and Stockton, Lindsey has failed to add anyone besides Gobert and Mitchell, despite having pretty good draft position to do so. Most notably, he's wasted FIVE first round picks to end up with Brickio as his PG, traded away a few others for cash, and failed to find any "hidden gems" late in the 1st or in the 2nd. Teams that were rebuilding have now lapped the Jazz, leaving Utah - at best - vying for a late playoff slot.

Lindsey got snookered by smoke from the Spurs, rumored to be interested in Bradley. The pupil got embarrassed by his old boss. Lindsey is a below average GM. He hit on a couple of picks (and in Gobert's case, it was the Jazz' international scout that first brought Rudy to the attention of Lindsey). Those two picks likely guarantee Dennis lifetime employment for Utah, an organization that is way too loyal to its FO and coaches.

This deadline and summer should be Lindsey's last chance. In most organizations it would be. Dennis has to produce via trade or hit a home run in free agency. If he doesn't, he's wasted Gobert's prime. Rudy will likely leave to find a contender. And how much longer will Ingles be a decent player; he's getting older and I think we're already seeing the effects of heavy minutes. Jazz will be in the midst of rebuilding with Mitchell, similar to the Hayward situation.

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Every gm messes up on 95% of their picks. Most were stoked about the Burke pick. Everyone loved the Exum pick and seemed like the obvious pick in that spot. I bet 99% of the gms in the league at the time would’ve taken him 5th. Most mocks had him going between 3-4 because of the Embiid injury and teens fearing he would just have an injury riddled career. The draft is a crap shoot, and at the top of the draft guys are usually supposed to be picked at certain spots because they are viewed as can’t miss picks. It’s not like he was the Cleveland gm that threw a curve ball and picked Bennett first out of no where. After the Malone and Stockton picks the jazz always picked mid to late 20’s, they did draft AK47 24th and Russell in the second round. Not to mention picking HOF’ers in back to back drafts outside the top ten. Has that happened any other time. We even drafted Wilkins, but had to sell him, plus I don’t think he was red to play here or something, but could be wrong. Trading up 11 picks for Mitchell was an all time brilliant move, as other gm’s either slept on him or liked other players more, and Gobert was an amazing theft. Every gm who has ever been in the league has major fails when it comes to the draft, few have had the brilliant steals DL and others for Utah have come away with. As far as the fails the jazz are no better or worse than any other gm in the history of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eye roll

No, GM's don't miss on 95% of their picks. What a ridiculous statement to pull out of your ***. Unless by "miss" you mean don't find a superstar. Of course not every pick is going to be a star. But you hope to fill a roster with decent rotational players. And if you find a player like that in the late 1st or 2nd, that's definitely a hit, not a miss.

Almost every GM has home runs on their resume, or great trades or free agent signings. What separates the good or great GM's from the average/below average ones are the "non-sexy" moves. Lindsey has been cheap with the bench. And it's come back to bite him. Neto, Niang, Udoh, Sefolosha...all scrubs. Allen - likely another wasted pick like Bradley. How many failures does Lindsey need before someone else screams. "the Emperor has no clothes?"

When I compared the Jazz' situation to that in the 80's and 90's, I never said Utah should have been expected to find a star in the 20's. But draft after draft brought the Jazz players who contributed little, if anything. Those are the picks you need to hit on with solid rotation players. What does Dennis have to show for all the losing? He has Dante. Every other pick likely could have been made had the Jazz made the playoffs every year and drafted in the early 20's. Oh, Lyles, I guess, may not have been there. He was projected in the teens. But Lindsey could have still had Gobert, Hood, etc.

It's the non-signings and moves around the fringes where Lindsey has failed. Why can't he make good trades? Because the cupboard is bare. Lindsey kept the payroll at the bottom of the league for years instead of signing FA's. How many times has he used the "financial flexibility so we can be players" line? And every summer is the same old thing...the cost was too high, he didn't find anyone he liked, etc. This past summer he did NOTHING, despite many decent players signing 1 year contracts around the league.

Four years ago the conversation was about spacing with Favors and Gobert. It still is. He traded a 1st for Hill without any assurance of an extension. STUPID, STUPID. He drafted a PF who couldn't shoot in college to be a stretch 4. I, like a few others, was hopping mad at that pick. more so than the hatred over the Bradley pick. For the most part, he's failed to find decent bench players. All those extra picks he got for tanking and taking on salary in year 1? By and large wasted or traded for cash.

Utah doesn't have a miraculous player development program. But he's managed to sell that and fool most of you. EVERY team develops their players. And the few that don't get GM's and coaches soon fired. Lindsey's success - or failure - all comes down to the deadline and summer. He's cleared payroll for a max FA. Failing that, he'll re-sign Favors and Neto, and use Thabo's and Ekpe's salary slots to promote Naz and add the draft pick. And then sip margaritas by the pool while the Jazz board deposits payroll into his account.

I'll bump this post when that happens. And if a SIGNIFICANT trade or signing happens, I'll gladly tip my hat to Dennis, even if it turns out to be wrong. Because running it back and remaining stagnant ain't gonna work, no matter how much Dennis talks about team chemistry and internal development.

Last edited:
No, GM's don't miss on 95% of their picks. What a ridiculous statement to pull out of your ***. Unless by "miss" you mean don't find a superstar. Of course not every pick is going to be a star. But you hope to fill a roster with decent rotational players. And if you find a player like that in the late 1st or 2nd, that's definitely a hit, not a miss.

Almost every GM has home runs on their resume, or great trades or free agent signings. What separates the good or great GM's from the average/below average ones are the "non-sexy" moves. Lindsey has been cheap with the bench. And it's come back to bite him. Neto, Niang, Udoh, Sefolosha...all scrubs. Allen - likely another wasted pick like Bradley. How many failures does Lindsey need before someone else screams. "the Emperor has no clothes?"

When I compared the Jazz' situation to that in the 80's and 90's, I never said Utah should have been expected to find a star in the 20's. But draft after draft brought the Jazz players who contributed little, if anything. Those are the picks you need to hit on with solid rotation players. What does Dennis have to show for all the losing? He has Dante. Every other pick likely could have been made had the Jazz made the playoffs every year and drafted in the early 20's. Oh, Lyles, I guess, may not have been there. He was projected in the teens. But Lindsey could have still had Gobert, Hood, etc.

It's the non-signings and moves around the fringes where Lindsey has failed. Why can't he make good trades? Because the cupboard is bare. Lindsey kept the payroll at the bottom of the league for years instead of signing FA's. How many times has he used the "financial flexibility so we can be players" line? And every summer is the same old thing...the cost was too high, he didn't find anyone he liked, etc. This past summer he did NOTHING, despite many decent players signing 1 year contracts around the league.

Four years ago the conversation was about spacing with Favors and Gobert. It still is. He traded a 1st for Hill without any assurance of an extension. STUPID, STUPID. He drafted a PF who couldn't shoot in college to be a stretch 4. I, like a few others, was hopping mad at that pick. more so than the hatred over the Bradley pick. For the most part, he's failed to find decent bench players. All those extra picks he got for tanking and taking on salary in year 1? By and large wasted or traded for cash.

Utah doesn't have a miraculous player development program. But he's managed to sell that and fool most of you. EVERY team develops their players. And the few that don't get GM's and coaches soon fired. Lindsey's success - or failure - all comes down to the deadline and summer. He's cleared payroll for a max FA. Failing that, he'll re-sign Favors and Neto, and use Thabo's and Ekpe's salary slots to promote Naz and add the draft pick. And then sip margaritas by the pool while the Jazz board deposits payroll into his account.

I'll bump this post when that happens. And if a SIGNIFICANT trade or signing happens, I'll gladly tip my hat to Dennis, even if it turns out to be wrong. Because running it back and remaining stagnant ain't gonna work, no matter how much Dennis talks about team chemistry and internal development.
I agree with most of what you are saying. DL has disappointed outside of a couple homeruns. We should have traded picks to put a better, proven player with Stockton, Malone and Hornacek. We now need to use picks and expirings to build around Mitchell, Gobert and Ingles.

After failing this summer, DL is on the clock....

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Go look at other GM’s and see how many they truly hit on. And we could certainly be vying for much more than just a late playoff slot.

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Every gm messes up on 95% of their picks. Most were stoked about the Burke pick. Everyone loved the Exum pick and seemed like the obvious pick in that spot. I bet 99% of the gms in the league at the time would’ve taken him 5th. Most mocks had him going between 3-4 because of the Embiid injury and teens fearing he would just have an injury riddled career. The draft is a crap shoot, and at the top of the draft guys are usually supposed to be picked at certain spots because they are viewed as can’t miss picks. It’s not like he was the Cleveland gm that threw a curve ball and picked Bennett first out of no where. After the Malone and Stockton picks the jazz always picked mid to late 20’s, they did draft AK47 24th and Russell in the second round. Not to mention picking HOF’ers in back to back drafts outside the top ten. Has that happened any other time. We even drafted Wilkins, but had to sell him, plus I don’t think he was red to play here or something, but could be wrong. Trading up 11 picks for Mitchell was an all time brilliant move, as other gm’s either slept on him or liked other players more, and Gobert was an amazing theft. Every gm who has ever been in the league has major fails when it comes to the draft, few have had the brilliant steals DL and others for Utah have come away with. As far as the fails the jazz are no better or worse than any other gm in the history of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every every gm missed 95 percent of time they would be fired and awful basketball being played. When you only have 2 rounds you better nail your draft with a miss here and there . I know Nuggets haven't missed on 95 percent of their draft. They have drafted Jokic, a star and better then Gobert already, and Montee Morris in second round. Mid first pick Beasley is nice and Juancho is a team that teams are going want and then Lottery pick s Harris and Murray. Only one miss and that's was Mudiay in lottery and late first Lyons, who a lot of jazz fans wanted. So that's not close to 95 percent. ALot, not you, have excuse after excuse for DL.