What's new

At what price will the Jazz not match Hayward's contract?

utahjazz107

He should of taken the deal during the offseason. I can't see the Jazz paying more than 10 million for an inconsistent player when we could use that cap to sign better players during free agency.

He should of taken the deal during the offseason. I can't see the Jazz paying more than 10 million for an inconsistent player when we could use that cap to sign better players during free agency.

I agree, Hayward won't get anything north of 10 mil per or should I say he shouldn't from the Jazz, I can't tell you what other front offices are dreaming up, but that's the risk the Jazz FO took. This time it paid off because if Gordon played up to what Gordon and his agent thought he was worth then I think they would have to pony up the cash and this team is not in tank mode but looking to build around Gordon, but of course the player and agent thought he (Gordon) was worth more than we were offering at the time. The Jazz FO wouldn't budge which is a great sign of things because they have learned since the Kirilenko contract debacle and decided to wait. And the truth is there are plenty of good wing players to be more picky and choosey than bigs, hence the quickness and priority to get Favors contract done.

Hayward's value is as a secondary ball handler and his overall versatility. I'd be surprised if anyone offers him max dollars, though. His shooting has been too inconsistent and his handling and passing have been loose. Maybe he gets $11M/year or someone offers $12.5M.

Someone will overpay especially if they miss out on another big name out there- I hope we don't match anything above 10 (and 10s being very generous based on play so far)

I think it is tough to gauge by this season. This is the crazy season where everything was turned upside down and Hayward was asked to shoulder a load he was not ready to carry. I think the FO will be more forgiving than the fans, and the Jazz FO has proven to be more lenient over the years than we would probably like as a fan base. I could see them matching up to 12 mill. I think it would depend on how the contract is structured. We are in one of those weird positions where a front-loaded contract would help us match. I think if they back-loaded a fairly large contract, with more balloon payments coming in 4-5 years down the road then we would have a harder time matching, as that is when we would need to be paying other potential stars and important pieces.

value

Value: 8M. Jazz will match up to 11M. Most likely outcome: 10M

Will be interesting to see how G responds to his contract year in the second half. He has to, to some extent, be feeling pressure to up performance/ stats knowing the effect on his next contract. So in some ways it would be great to see him perform really well, as an indication of how he plays under pressure. The opposite would help us nab him for less money.

Also the good news is that Paul George is now an irrelevant salary benchmark as he is totally in a different class, AllStar on winning team, being mentioned as a top 10 player in the league.

I agree, Hayward won't get anything north of 10 mil per or should I say he shouldn't from the Jazz, I can't tell you what other front offices are dreaming up, but that's the risk the Jazz FO took. This time it paid off because if Gordon played up to what Gordon and his agent thought he was worth then I think they would have to pony up the cash and this team is not in tank mode but looking to build around Gordon, but of course the player and agent thought he (Gordon) was worth more than we were offering at the time. The Jazz FO wouldn't budge which is a great sign of things because they have learned since the Kirilenko contract debacle and decided to wait. And the truth is there are plenty of good wing players to be more picky and choosey than bigs, hence the quickness and priority to get Favors contract done.

I think you are greatly underestimating the stupidity/desperation of some GM's in the league. Some team my offer something just to make you guys have to match or lose him with getting any assets back. Not sure how Lindsey feels about Hayward, but most GM's hate losing assets for nothing in return.

I would not pay him over 8M. He is proving to be way too inconsistent. He makes a good third option at best. This team should be built around Trey and Favors IMO. Chances are some team out there, most likely Phoenix or Boston will happily give him 11-12M this summer. So what to do? Either trade him now, or hope for a sign and trade this summer. I don't think DL will over pay for anyone... just doesn't seem to be his style. He is too valuable to just let walk. Hoping DL will get some good assets in return.

Personally, I think the Jazz should consider trading him if he doesn't except $10m or less. I would want to pay him $8 million but I am sure some dumb *** GM will offer him $12m. I just hope the Jazz don't match $12m.

Just draft his replacement and be done with it. I like Gordon but he is overvaluing himself if he wants more than $10 million.

I would not pay him over 8M. He is proving to be way too inconsistent. He makes a good third option at best. This team should be built around Trey and Favors IMO. Chances are some team out there, most likely Phoenix or Boston will happily give him 11-12M this summer. So what to do? Either trade him now, or hope for a sign and trade this summer. I don't think DL will over pay for anyone... just doesn't seem to be his style. He is too valuable to just let walk. Hoping DL will get some good assets in return.

That is a dream scenario for the Jazz. Let Hayward walk for anything north of 10 million. He will be a cap killer for that team. Hopefully its Phoenix. Then the Jazz can use the saving to offer 14-15 million per for Bledsoe. A true game changer. And before anyone counters with "not the way Burke is playing" please understand that many teams are going with two point guards and having great success.

if I was DL, I would want Hayward to either play great or really suck. That would make the decision easier. I think he's closer to sucking than playing great. My fear is he plys like a world beater the last two weeks of the season and we give him his money for a second Honda Accord and he goes back to sucking. This is going to be fascinating to watch.

That is a dream scenario for the Jazz. Let Hayward walk for anything north of 10 million. He will be a cap killer for that team. Hopefully its Phoenix. Then the Jazz can use the saving to offer 14-15 million per for Bledsoe. A true game changer. And before anyone counters with "not the way Burke is playing" please understand that many teams are going with two point guards and having great success.

Honestly I would trade Hayward. IMO it's always better to be proactive than reactive. No need letting an asset go without compensation. No need gambling that some other GM won't offer Hayward more than the team is willing to pay.

Hayward will be difficult to evaluate during this crap year.

We do not know who is being told to be the #1 option different games/different halves.

Remember, this team is developing many, not just Hayward.

Last night, it looks like Hayward was not part of reindeer plans 1st half, but was the 2nd.

With all that said, here are my thoughts.

1. He is not a Max Player for any team.
2. Probably worth 4/40.
3. Will be offered 4/48

Question is ....will Jazz match ?

Not worth an AAV of 10 but he will probably get it. I think he is worth about 8 per. If he gets 11, 12 or more I will not like the deal. It will remind me of a smaller scale AK deal.

Last edited:
I know this will hurt a lot of peoples feelings, but Hayward is very replaceable...players of his talent/skillset are available in every draft. We don't need to over pay. If he accepts a deal for $8M/year with the Jazz, great, if not....NEXT.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm damn near in the "I don't care if Hayward walks/trade him for Bledsoe or whatever" mode.

Players like Hayward don't produce enough to be worth the current value given by the league (Batum). Superstars and role players is the only model outside that Detroit fluke (which started 5 All Stars IMO). If the Jazz want to go the Detroit route then Favors has plenty of growth to do, they have to hit lottery lightening, have to sign a free agent at the 2 or 4..... way too many variables to pay Hayward a significant amount.

I know this will hurt a lot of peoples feelings, but Hayward is very replaceable...players of his talent/skillset are available in every draft. We don't need to over pay. If he accepts a deal for $8M/year with the Jazz, great, if not....NEXT.

At this point, I'd have to agree with you. If only we had kept Wes Matthews.

Uh5c0zS.png

Name a few that do the same things as hayward. Not many players can. His position might be easy to replace, but not players like him.