What's new

Game Thread Aug 17, 2020: Jazz at Nuggets - Game 1

Added to Calendar: 08-17-20

Great game. Nice way to start the playoffs. Jazz don’t have enough bench to really compete. 6 points on 1-11 shooting from our starting forwards simply won’t get it done. I love how Donovan, Gobert, and Ingles competed. They just ran out of gas by the end. And had horrible defense all game. Letting your opponent shoot over 50% will not work and the Jazz were fortunate to be in the game at all.

Unfortunately, especially without Conley, we will need that kind of performance from Mitchell each game to stay remotely competitive.

Next game, Nuggets wouldn't be so lucky shooting the ball. We had the chance to win, but Murray was the one with the big shots.

Crazy how deep we felt to start the season and how thin we are. 3 whiffs + 2 guys out is a big hole in the roster. Glad Mitchell could surprise us. He picked a good time to beast.

We beat ourselves. Bad techs, bad 8 second violation, Gobert not being able to hit his FTs, missing 4-5 point blank layups, 4 consecutive TOs in OT. This team has the knack of doing the hard things and then ******** the bed with the routine parts of the game. Still, great game to start the playoffs. Not sure we have much of a chance in the series, there were several not sustainable trends in this one - Mitchell being this efficient, DEN hitting tons of 3s at high %. I guess it will even out the longer the series goes. I don't think we have enough without Conley and having to give Bradley and Mudiay minutes.

Really curious if this feels at all like the intensity of the playoffs. I think this is where the bubble takes a turn for the worse. Been great until now, but I can't imagine the games are as intense or have nearly the same crazy feel.
Was pretty intense and crazy doe

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

We don’t play defense anymore since we traded away most of our best defenders. And we don’t have enough firepower anymore because the guys we traded for are either recovering from surgery or with family. We just don’t have enough to really make a great playoff showing. We essentially traded away half our team last year for Bojan and Conley and they’re not even playing right now.

We don’t play defense anymore since we traded away most of our best defenders. And we don’t have enough firepower anymore because the guys we traded for are either recovering from surgery or with family. We just don’t have enough to really make a great playoff showing. We essentially traded away half our team last year for Bojan and Conley and they’re not even playing right now.
And maybe we'll be great next year when they're back and Morgan/Brantley/Oni are a year more experienced. Sucks that we've had bad luck this year though.

And maybe we'll be great next year when they're back and Morgan/Brantley/Oni are a year more experienced. Sucks that we've had bad luck this year though.

im honestly not seeing it. Those guys are not talented enough. We need a backup 5, backup 4, and probably another good guard.

I think our FO overreacted last summer. We can’t replicate what the Rockets and Warriors do. We should’ve stayed big and worked to build around defense and toughness. Even Dallas plays small ball better than we do honestly. Rockets, healthy warriors, denver, Dallas, Clippers, and probably the Suns now play better small ball than we do.

I hope I’m wrong but it feels like we traded away our identity and lane towards a championship by giving away our size.

I really hope Jazz can turn around their 3 point shooting. We need to shoot well to win this series. We can't shoot below our season average for 3s. Denver was incredibly hot from 3. It's amazing this was as close as it was. I was very impressed with our rebounding effort. Lots of good blocking out from everyone. I think Mitchell needs to be even more aggressive. I think he will have lots of big games. Hopefully this is like when Jordan had a breakout playoffs game and then the next game set the record with a short handed bulls team, except he wins.

Yeah, the Nuggets shot 53.7% from 3 (season average is 36%) and made twice as many 3s as they average in the regular season (22 instead of 11). We shot a lower than average 34% from three. And... it took a late, silly turn over, and some elite shooting down the stretch to put the game into overtime.