What's new

Best rookie season? Neto or Exum?

FabioJazz

Neto 2016 or Exum 2015? Who had the best first season? Or who is having? (february just started).

I'm not talking about who will have better career. Even the player with the most potential (Exum easily)

Exum in January last year:

23 mpg
5.1 ppg
1.1 rpg
1.2 apg
34% fg
28% 3pt

Raul Neto in January this year:

22 mpg
6.3 ppg
1.2 rpg
2.9 apg
38% fg
35% 3pt

I like both guys so don't take this the wrong way...

Those numbers are like asking me if I want to eat dog poo or cat poo... its poo I'm not excited about eating it.

I give the edge to Exum because he is a good defender. Neto is just okay. Stays in front of his guy but that is not enough in the NBA... guys shoot over him regularly. I'd almost rather him gamble more and rely on the guys behind him to snuff out the stuff at the rim.

Funny how I log into this board and so many people talk about how much better we would be if Exum was playing. I guess we have a lot of happy ears/eyes in the fan base. I'm still very hopeful for Exum, but I don't think he's a sure fire bet either.

Neto is better offensively but I still think Exum's defense would contribute to a better point differential if not to win column.

Looked up stats for both -- three years not four years difference. But they have Neto listed at 6-4. I would say more like 6-2. And Exum is probably more like 6-5 than 6-6 -- would everyone agree on those heights?

I also would add that Neto has shown a lot more improvement during the season than Exum did. Not to say that Exum wouldn't be a lot better this year as his one summer league game seemed to indicate. But Raul is becoming a decent player compared to the beginning of the season.

Looked up stats for both -- three years not four years difference. But they have Neto listed at 6-4. I would say more like 6-2. And Exum is probably more like 6-5 than 6-6 -- would everyone agree on those heights?

I also would add that Neto has shown a lot more improvement during the season than Exum did. Not to say that Exum wouldn't be a lot better this year as his one summer league game seemed to indicate. But Raul is becoming a decent player compared to the beginning of the season.

There numbers are positively Diante Garrett like when he played for the Jazz two years ago and I don't see anyone clamoring for him.

When Gobert and Exum got inserted into the starting lineup,the Jazz became a defense 1st team and became the best defensive team the rest of the way.Without the 6'6 length of Exum on opposing PG's and in front of Gobert the Jazz are more of a top 5 defense instead.
I also think a healthy 21 yr old Exum blows by Neto offensively right away.If he's as fast as he was when he got into the league ,I think he'll be around 14ppg ,7apg,3,5 rpg next year.

Exum improved a ton over year one. He started driving a bit more. Good passer and defender. Clearly his age and previous competition level effected him in year one.

Neto needs to improve his shot and make it quicker. He scores inside slightly better than Burke did in his rookie campaign, and has 100x the court vision. He is a decent defender. If he can score on the drive more he will be an excellent backup.

Exum improved a ton over year one. He started driving a bit more. Good passer and defender. Clearly his age and previous competition level effected him in year one.

Neto needs to improve his shot and make it quicker. He scores inside slightly better than Burke did in his rookie campaign, and has 100x the court vision. He is a decent defender. If he can score on the drive more he will be an excellent backup.

Not true at all.

Not true at all.

The last quarter of the season he started getting more assertive on both ends. He was still a bit timid, and still passed, but his drives to the hoop were amazing. He definitely improved. I just hope he still has that quickness when he returns.

Funny how I log into this board and so many people talk about how much better we would be if Exum was playing. I guess we have a lot of happy ears/eyes in the fan base. I'm still very hopeful for Exum, but I don't think he's a sure fire bet either.
We would be better because of Exum's defense. There is a reason our defense has been worse than at the end of last year even when mostly healthy, and that is because our defense on the PG position has taken a huge downgrade.
I'm hopeful for Exum's offense but the reason people talk about how much better we would be is because of the defense he brings. And one SL game in which Exum played great against another good young PG in Smart.

I agree. In april Exum was good. 8 games.

On the other hand, Raul Neto shoots 41%FG and 38%3pt. Pretty decent in his first year.

I would agree with the post that he began to improve at the tail end of the season, but up to this point last season, not very much, while Neto has shown marked improvement in the last month. So, I still contend that Neto has improved more. That is not to say he's better. He is after all 3 years older.