What's new

Big News Out of BYU??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scat

There is some buzz on the internets about BYU announcing something before September 1.......which happens to be the deadline to announce a departure from the MWC without penalty.

Big 12 expansion?
Independence?

From so called BYU insider HB Arnett, who has some sort of newsletter

Adios Albuquerque. So long Laramie. Farewell Fort Collins and Fort Worth. Sayonara San Diego, bye bye Boise and leaving Las Vegas.

Since July 23, we have been saying that we expect an announcement from BYU before September 1 that they will be leaving the MWC.

We are now so sure that it will happen that we are raising our stake and your benefits in this game and offer.

If we are wrong and BYU doesnt announce they are leaving the MWC by Sept 1, 2010, we will now give you a two year free subscription to Cougar Sportsline. (See updated offer below.)

We know that there are many who think we are crazy and just blowing smoke.

If you are into inhaling some second-hand Sportsline smoke or just want to cash in on our craziness, here is the updated offer. You can still take advantage of it until August 23, 2010.

If they go independent they will slowly wither and die.

Will it be news that they just can't fit Utah onto their schedule anymore? Poor Utes. Such an insignificant team.

Independent in football, WAC in other sports? Why? What's the benefit in that?

Sounds like the Big 12 has already told them that they are in when they decide to expand so BYU is just distancing themselves away from any conference in the interim. My guess is the Big 12 pulls the trigger before BYU ever has to go play an Independent schedule, but it would definitely be interesting to see what would happen if BYU was left out to dry. Conservative school....conservative risks....I really doubt they would jump unless they have something pretty concrete set up with the Big 12.

Sounds like the Big 12 has already told them that they are in when they decide to expand so BYU is just distancing themselves away from any conference in the interim. My guess is the Big 12 pulls the trigger before BYU ever has to go play an Independent schedule, but it would definitely be interesting to see what would happen if BYU was left out to dry. Conservative school....conservative risks....I really doubt they would jump unless they have something pretty concrete set up with the Big 12.

The thing is, its not like BYU couldn't get a full schedule every year similiar to what they're playing now.

The thing about BYU is it's purely an academic school. Boys and girls go there to learn and get degrees. I don't know if there's any problem with this, so I'm not going to argue. But degrees are an important thing to have.

-Craig

The thing is, its not like BYU couldn't get a full schedule every year similiar to what they're playing now.

They could easily replicate their schedule but their bowl game invites would blow chunks. Most bowl games are set up to take teams from specific conferences. And it wouldn't help in getting a BCS bowl game.

The thing about BYU is it's purely an academic school. Boys and girls go there to learn and get degrees. I don't know if there's any problem with this, so I'm not going to argue. But degrees are an important thing to have.

-Craig

head_up_ass_214.jpg

They were talking about this on 1320 today. They mentioned that if BYU went independant, they'd most likely move their other sports to the WAC, and that they'd play an independant football schedule while "mixing in" a good compliment of WAC teams.

To me that just seems bizaar and downright stupid. For the record, I've said on these boards before that BYU would flourish as a football independant, but I take that back if they're going to tie a good portion of their "independant" schedule to the WAC. If that was the case, why leave the MWC in the first place? Getting your yearly games against Boise and TCU with the chance to claim a conferance title certainly has to be as appealing as going independant and filling half of your schedule with the likes of Neveda, Fresno St, New Mexico State and Idaho.

I'll reserve judgement because this is all just speculation and for all we know BYU has no interest in such a thing, but if they do, the decision makers down there should be tarred and feathered.

They were talking about this on 1320 today. They mentioned that if BYU went independant, they'd most likely move their other sports to the WAC, and that they'd play an independant football schedule while "mixing in" a good compliment of WAC teams.

To me that just seems bizaar and downright stupid. For the record, I've said on these boards before that BYU would flourish as a football independant, but I take that back if they're going to tie a good portion of their "independant" schedule to the WAC. If that was the case, why leave the MWC in the first place? Getting your yearly games against Boise and TCU with the chance to claim a conferance title certainly has to be as appealing as going independant and filling half of your schedule with the likes of Neveda, Fresno St, New Mexico State and Idaho.

I'll reserve judgement because this is all just speculation and for all we know BYU has no interest in such a thing, but if they do, the decision makers down there should be tarred and feathered.

There is no way this is a long term thing for BYU(at least the connection to the WAC if that's true). They might play that schedule for a year or two max. If BYU became a permanent fixture in the WAC, the MWC would simply move in and steal Nevada and Fresno away just to get back at BYU and leave them with an even more gutted WAC conference.

I didn't catch their source, but on my way to work this morning 1320 KFAN was talking as if this is a done deal... independent in football, and joining the WAC for all other sports. Starting in 2011.

Again, I didn't catch their source, so I have no idea how accurate this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.