What's new

Blake Griffin

elan_prodigy

If the Clippers decide to tank, what are peoples thoughts on trying to get Blake??

Here are a few factors:

- If Clippers tank they will probably go full rebuild and look to bottom out for a few years. This won't match with Blakes timeline and they'd benefit by moving him and getting picks and cap space.

- Getting Blake would put us back in win now mode and enable us to compete throughout Rudys prime (Ive always liked the 2 bigs approached to knocking off GS as apposed to going small).

- Would cost less than people think due to his HUGE contract and his injury history. Maybe Favs, Burks (to tank with), Bradley and our 1st round pick (to build with)

- Would we want his contract or would it cripple us?

- He isnt a true stretch 4 but is a massive upgrade to Favors. Provided similar defense while having a much better offensive game.

- Would he fit with Gobert I guess is the other question...

Thoughts?

The other guy Id like to target is Saric.

Last edited:
What's that stupid Bon Jovi song, something like hanging on a prayer? I can smell the tank train approaching.

i'm expecting it'd cost way too much to get him. He might be a decent fit with his expanded shooting range tho

I'd rather have Love. If Lebron leaves Cleveland, I think he's very obtainable: rights to our pick and can match salaries with Burks, Jerebko and Thabo.

I like Jabari, but clearing cap space to offer him a max decimates the roster.

I'd rather have Love. If Lebron leaves Cleveland, I think he's very obtainable: rights to our pick and can match salaries with Burks, Jerebko and Thabo.

I like Jabari, but clearing cap space to offer him a max decimates the roster.

We'd be paying Love only a bit less than we'd pay Parker. 21m vs 25m.

As far as what it would take to get him, I'd assume the Jazz wouldn't have enough. I'd make Gobert and Mitchell untouchable.

I'd offer Hood, Exum and two first rounders (one unprotected and one with further protections). Specifically, I'd protect the one this year going top 10.

And I dont view the most recent injury as being injury prone. Someone lands on your knee like that, your MCL is getting ****ed up to some degree.

Mitchell/Gobert/Griffin/Ingles is a really nice core. Utah would probably have to find some more European gems to fill out the roster with vets who dont suck and arent expensive.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydfyldqe

(I put DeAndre and Williams in there to simulate Griffin since you cant put him in the machine until January).

Jazz put in Favors and Burks to match salary.

Last edited:
As far as what it would take to get him, I'd assume the Jazz wouldn't have enough. I'd make Gobert and Mitchell untouchable.

I'd offer Hood, Exum and two first rounders (one unprotected and one with further protections). Specifically, I'd protect the one this year going top 10.

And I dont view the most recent injury as being injury prone. Someone lands on your knee like that, your MCL is getting ****ed up to some degree.

Mitchell/Gobert/Griffin/Ingles is a really nice core. Utah would probably have to find some more European gems to fill out the roster with vets who dont suck and arent expensive.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydfyldqe

(I put DeAndre and Williams in there to simulate Griffin since you cant put him in the machine until January).

Jazz put in Favors and Burks to match salary.

Thats a massive overpay for Blake... His injury history and contract make him almost unmoveable.

I think Favs, Bradley, Burks and our 1st would get it done.

This is assuming Clippers go tank mode and want to get young fast.

It may sound like we are paying unders but look at what DMC, Butler, PG13, CP3 have gone for recently.

Thats a massive overpay for Blake... His injury history and contract make him almost unmoveable.

I think Favs, Bradley, Burks and our 1st would get it done.

This is assuming Clippers go tank mode and want to get young fast.

It may sound like we are paying unders but look at what DMC, Butler, PG13, CP3 have gone for recently.
Not really. It's a 6th man (who would probably be a starter for them), a bench player with some potential (and a worse injury history), an unprotected pick (Jazz should be a playoff team with Griffin), and a future pick for an All-Star and a top 20 player. It's an underpay.

I guess if you ignore the fact he is perpetually hurt and likely doesn’t get more durable as he ages... and he’s signed to the Supermax deal. I think I’d rather try and get gallo for expiring contracts than pay a ransom for Blake.

Guy I know bought a salvaged Porsche for half price because it’s a Porsche. Now has to pay 20k for body and engine damage... and the car will still be salvaged. It’s expensive to buy damaged goods.

I guess if you ignore the fact he is perpetually hurt and likely doesn’t get more durable as he ages... and he’s signed to the Supermax deal. I think I’d rather try and get gallo for expiring contracts than pay a ransom for Blake.

Guy I know bought a salvaged Porsche for half price because it’s a Porsche. Now has to pay 20k for body and engine damage... and the car will still be salvaged. It’s expensive to buy damaged goods.

It's hardly a ransom giving up Hood, Exum, and two picks....

And a guy landed on his knee in a way that is always going to hurt anyone's MCL. He isnt that damaged.