What's new

BLM to return grazing rights.....Hammonds are Happy.

babe

So I don't have an online link for this.... just read it in the Western Livestock Journal....

The Bend, Oregon ranchers who started fires that damaged some BLM areas adjacent to their property are being given their grazing rights back.

This is the case that started the protest that led to the death of one protestor.

On January 2, the resigning Interior Secretary as one of his last official actions, instructed the BLM to return the grazing rights.

In the end, the "damage" done to public lands was valued at less than $1,000, and in fact the fires were judged beneficial.

All over the west... we have a huge problem with unmanaged "wild" areas overgrown with combustible stuff left over each growing year that is causing extreme fire hazards to private property such as homes.

Well-managed land requires policies for use, or removal of these combustibles..... left to nature, there will be natural fires, or the stuff will either decay (rot) are become sedimented into peat or coal layers.

All over California, this past election cycle, there were protest signs agaist the government, against the governor.;...

Either graze it, log it, or watch it burn.

So I don't have an online link for this.... just read it in the Western Livestock Journal....

The Bend, Oregon ranchers who started fires that damaged some BLM areas adjacent to their property are being given their grazing rights back.

This is the case that started the protest that led to the death of one protestor.

On January 2, the resigning Interior Secretary as one of his last official actions, instructed the BLM to return the grazing rights.

In the end, the "damage" done to public lands was valued at less than $1,000, and in fact the fires were judged beneficial.

All over the west... we have a huge problem with unmanaged "wild" areas overgrown with combustible stuff left over each growing year that is causing extreme fire hazards to private property such as homes.

Well-managed land requires policies for use, or removal of these combustibles..... left to nature, there will be natural fires, or the stuff will either decay (rot) are become sedimented into peat or coal layers.

All over California, this past election cycle, there were protest signs agaist the government, against the governor.;...

Either graze it, log it, or watch it burn.

Would it kill you?

This requires additional context:

This is the case that started the protest that led to the death of one protestor...
LaVoy Finicum, who was reaching for his gun after leading law enforcement on a high speed pursuit. You're welcome to listen to the conspiracy theorists on youtube saying the gun found was planted on him, but I encourage you to watch the recording and decide for yourself.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, the same man that evaluated and recommended the shrinking of Bears Ears by 85%, has had several controversial actions as Secretary of the Interior.

The Hammonds were actually charged for several things. They were charged with setting five fires: Hardie-Hammond, Fir Creek, Lower Bridge Creek, Krumbo Butte, and Granddad. In order to get a plea deal, the prosecutors dropped three of them, including one that burned 46,523 acres of BLM managed land and 12,334 acres of private land. I'm not sure where the figure less than $1000 is coming from, but I'm having a hard time taking that at face value.

This line right here seems to at least partially infer that wilderness has, and always has needed to be managed by a well-managed, educated governing body. Overgrowth is natural, and so are "wild" fires. It does not need a governing body, nor set of rules to maintain itself. It's a part of the natural cycle of our planet. This is probably the single most over-sensationalized, poorly rationalized line of thinking in the federal lands/state lands/private lands debate. We seem to need to have both a governing body making good, educated policies, and need less of a governing body at the same time?

Can you see how this more than likely is interpreted as "I need my government, not a government" sentiment?

Would it kill you?

LaVoy Finicum, who was reaching for his gun after leading law enforcement on a high speed pursuit. You're welcome to listen to the conspiracy theorists on youtube saying the gun found was planted on him, but I encourage you to watch the recording and decide for yourself.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, the same man that evaluated and recommended the shrinking of Bears Ears by 85%, has had several controversial actions as Secretary of the Interior.

The Hammonds were actually charged for several things. They were charged with setting five fires: Hardie-Hammond, Fir Creek, Lower Bridge Creek, Krumbo Butte, and Granddad. In order to get a plea deal, the prosecutors dropped three of them, including one that burned 46,523 acres of BLM managed land and 12,334 acres of private land. I'm not sure where the figure less than $1000 is coming from, but I'm having a hard time taking that at face value.

This line right here seems to at least partially infer that wilderness has, and always has needed to be managed by a well-managed, educated governing body. Overgrowth is natural, and so are "wild" fires. It does not need a governing body, nor set of rules to maintain itself. It's a part of the natural cycle of our planet. This is probably the single most over-sensationalized, poorly rationalized line of thinking in the federal lands/state lands/private lands debate. We seem to need to have both a governing body making good, educated policies, and need less of a governing body at the same time?

Can you see how this more than likely is interpreted as "I need my government, not a government" sentiment?

OK.

This is the kind of response I am actually "trolling" for, if I am trolling in here.

You have a reasoned line of thought, a lot of information.... some of it "new" to me, and you lay it out quite nicely, I would say "nicely" as in with good manners, a high degree of civility.

At a recent political gathering, there was a cowboy sort.... judging by his garb... with a "Justice for LaVoy" Tee. In these parts so far as I've seen, there is a very significant unbalanced sentiment in LaVoy's favor. Almost everyone believes he was gunned down.... shot in the back, first....by the shooter in the woods behind him. He reached down to his gunshot wound near his waist. As I watched that video, I saw the shooter from behind point his rifle, and I saw the recoil of that rifle,s shot. just seconds before LaVoy reached down. And the wound he had in that area, was a shot from behind him.

I have not seen the coroner's report myself. But it would not be the first time coroner made up a false report if it doesn't say that. The video makes the case in my view. In a Utah case, in the late 1970s, cops shot John Singer in the back as he was walking away from them. A few years later, working at the University of Utah Medical Center, I worked a few doors down the hall from the room where John Singer's body was examined. And I heard some stories...… But the Governor weighed in on the case and gave orders.

Look, law enforcement is necessary..... and the people who do it are mostly decent. Sometimes the bad apple is the front line guy..... but sometimes the bad apple in the politically-connected guy.

I have stopped by at a city park rally in a farming town where an organized effort was going on to help raise funds for such "Justice". A lot of people stopping by..... almost everybody.

I have watched the available videos many times. There is a wrongful death lawsuit in the courts. We can see what we want to see, I'm sure. I'm sure the claims of both sides will get a lot of close examination. I am not sure we will ever actually know for sure.

I have not gone over the Hammonds' court proceedings. I related the account published by the Western Livestock Journal, which I subscribe to.

In my neighborhood, I have realized that many people see me as a pro-BLM oddball. I have never quibbled with anyone in the BLM or Forest Service over anything. Before I came along, the locals actively resisted the "management" of the guvmint. In regard to an irrigation structure, one Forest Service man tried to tell the locals how the work had to be done. When he came to check up on them, he encountered about twenty locals with their guns out. He decided to turn around and let them do it their way.

But I believe public lands should be managed locally, by county jurisdictions under State laws. Nice if the Fed guv can put together some really good information and research to help the locals see better how to do. And, I say "No" to Agenda 21 as a way to run the world.

In nature, I see diversity as necessary to ensure survival.... I mean the use of differing methods..... a sort of experimental laboratory sort of thing, where people with new ideas can try stuff on a small scale. If it works, if it can be shown or proven to be effective and address public concerns, others will try it, where it looks like a good idea.

I am a sort of rebel about centralized authority, overall. But I will consider....will seek.... the help of authorities with knowledge or plans that have merit.

Whatever else you can say about Zinke.... political wonk or whatever..... he was out there in the public trying to get action to prevent the horrid California fires from being the "future" of California. I have been all over California, and I see the signs people put up in protest.... "Graze it..... Log it.... Or Watch it Burn." Zinke got the message out like this...."If you subscribe to five newspapers, and bring them in every day, and stack them in your house, and never take them out.... your house will one day burn." He says forests can sustain, in a healthy way, a certain number of trees per acre.... if you let more than that grow, the trees suck out the available water, then go dry, and get infested with beetles because there's not enough sap, and the trees become a serious fire risk....

I call "local" wisdom like that "good management"...… Locals have the sense to remove undergrowth by grazing or collecting firewood, and thin the forests with some degree of concern for safety and the health of the woods. I wish we did not have detached intellectual theorists with quite so many arguments against it.... Not to say I wouldn't actually want to know what their arguments or reasons are.

Within the past month, I discussed the fires with a Californian whose home was in the line of one of the fires in the past several years. Her home was the only home in her area that was not destroyed by that fire. When I attempted to elicit her views about organizing to get "authorities" to take action, she quickly cut me off.

"Well, you really just have to take care of yourself. We chose to build our home with fire-resistant materials.... stone and tile. We cleared out the underbrush around our yard, cut down some trees, made a fire break at our property line. Anybody can do that. Everybody should."

We need to get the federal regulations out of our way so we can do what needs doing. Or..... well.... hopefully..... just make the regulations fit the need.

Last edited:
Would it kill you?

Around here we don't call it "googling", we call it "harambeing" and it works great!

Would it kill you?

So, of course, I really just ignore offensive language or even crude insults.... lol..... I saw your retort "would it kill you" and wondered why the hell you use terms like that. I didn't realize it was with a linked TV or news channel report on it.

But I did notice the last paragraph as an intellectual response.... not that I had time to digest it, either. We had a thread in here about the "protest" way back then, I just wanted to relay the news of the pardon. According to the article I did read, which was obviously partial to the cattlemen, it was a good day for cattlemen, generally. And I think you can be quite certain very few cattlemen are voting for democrats or progressives, and fewer and fewer as time goes on.

I was not raised a "cowboy" or farmer. My parents were college professors and my father was, a bit later, a very successful scientist in the "Military-Industrial Complex". I worked in an industrial outfit he helped to get up and running, when I was not working at the University of Utah or being a scientific consultant on my own. However, everything I ever did, or tried to do, had to be managed around some particular disabilities, and my choice of work has always been determined by that. I decided, once.... when I was broke and out of any job at all, to reject the idea of getting on any kind of assistance from the guvmint. I more or less told God.... and my wife....who was probably more interested and more affected by the decision.... that I would rather die. Accordingly, my view of the universe has always been.... what can I do for myself, with my abilities, with resources at hand.

And the damnest thing about that is the "progressives" who want to manage all the resources. Who told you this was your world? And what gives you the right to stop me from having access to the world I live in? And why the hell can't you just let folks take care of themselves?

The answer to this riddle, of course, is the Fascist "gods" you work for.... David Rockefeller, Putin, Xi, or the Lordly Fatasses of London..... well.... whoever. The game that is being run here is simple "management". To keep your jobs working for the guvmint, you simply need to smile.... well... usually. Except for when an outsider somehow gets elected to some key office in guvmint….

Yes, there are good arguments for good management.

And yes, it is the key question. Is it that we like guvmint because we like guvmint in general, or are we particular to like the guvmint that is ours. It's a fair question for ranchers who want to swing the guvmint dog by the tail, as well as for jobholders within "The Swamp" who want to swing the guvmint by the tail.

The Federal system created by our founders attempted to limit the power of Federal level officials, the States representatives of that era wanted to protect State powers. A lot of Americans were pretty pissed at the high-handed abuse of the British Crown officials

I know there are local guvmint bad apples, and local populace stupids enough to match the Federal managers imbecility for imbecility. So maybe I don't really have a great answer.

I've had locals like the Hammonds come around to shake me up, sticking rifles up my nose and such. The Sheriff sided with me, calling it assault.... but I said "let it go. These people won't be helped with some damn court." Nowadays, they talk nice to me, come around and help me out when I need it.

I'm sure Federal officials can be just as nice.

Would it kill you?

I don't mind quoting this a few times. It is a pretty good response, which anyone should keep in mind along with whatever I can say.

The video snippet offered here was cut just past the point that convinced me Finicum was shot while he had his hands above his head. You should expect a "defense" to do that. I got a speeding ticket last year, and asked to see the police video. The damn prosecutor did the same thing to keep me from showing the point that the officer was not operating his equipment right, and in fact made up the charge entirely. I think I will eventually get this case to the Utah Supreme Court and get that officer convicted of perjury, and the prosecutor fired from his job. Well, that is, if I hire a good lawyer. Dunno 'bout that. It's a speeding ticket, a hundred dollars.... not gonna affect my insurance or driving privilege....

The officer stepped out of the woods while Finicum was holding his hands above his head and aimed his gun,.... you can see him aim, you can see the gun kick... and that is when Finicum's hands went down. That video is posted in the earlier thread on this subject.

(edit) So I tried to find the earlier thread, to find the video posted there.... takes too long in our system, with my lack of skills. why can't you search threads for subjects in here...

went "Harambeing", as Log terms it. Amazing. All the stuff that shows up on the top pages has been worked to prove Harambe's point. I think that is why I'm not believing Wiki, or Google, much..... I see the selections promoted, and the ones I've seen before taken out. Ah, it's wonderful. We have a society that can provide a smooth, uniform, convenient Universe for all of us to live in.

But I did change my mind. Maybe not the way I'm supposed to. The wrongful death lawsuit went down in flames, quickly.

But, in fact, my original opinion has changed about the officer from behind, as he emerged from the woods, where he was hiding, waiting for the stop. It might have been a handgun, just looked like a rifle in the very poor video, at first. He is first seen emerging from the woods into the video, with his arm or gun extended already. There is some jerky movement, which I thought was firing. And then he becomes very deliberate as he approaches from behind, while Finicum is turned away, flailing his arms and staggering. And then the officer shoots (again?)…. I also looked very hard to see if there was any gun in Finicums hands. No. Hell No. And his hands were not in any kind of coherent motion. He was flailing about, like you'd do if you'd been shot, while in pain in deep snow, trying to keep your balance.

We have very efficient courts that can settle **** real quick when necessary. Or keep an investigation ongoing for years if desired. Even with no crime in view, and no evidence at all.

But overall, I'm not sure what happened. The released information on the victims' wounds don't match up the same way I understood the reports in 2016.

I still don't dare talk about this case with my neighbors, whom I presume are not willing to discuss it with city slickers.

And yes, Harambe..... it is a days' work to go over a subject like this in any kind of real way. Long enough to get past the top Google fare.

Last edited:
I read the wiki on it and it doesnt sound like these are very good people. Threatening lives of children and docing people, not a good look.

I question the characterizations which Wiki, a very liberal site determined to scour the earth of conservative opinions and consign them to the derisively contemptible class of sub-human recalcitrants who just don't really understand Truth, or believe in John Lennon's wonderful imagined future utopia.

I also think any responsible or reasonable person will hesitate to be a true believer of official accounts.

Wouldn't be the first time anyone made up a lot of negative press to discredit someone they are facing in court.

One key item in the WLJ report I read was a few paragraphs about all the help local ranchers gave the Hammonds through their ordeal.

Another key item in understanding the whole thing is that Oregon politician who was working on a deal with some Chinese business (Red Army-owned and operated) would have given that company a large area of US land, including some of the "wildlife refuge" for use in solar panels carpeting the "protected" environment. The dems just can't let the Reid clan or the Clintons be the only Americans with such good relations with the Chinese. Neither can the Reps really turn away from such emoluments..... look at Trumps' Elaine Chou wife of McConnel.

These people are the progressives you all need to reject if you want any kind of better world.

The officer stepped out of the woods while Finicum was holding his hands above his head and aimed his gun,.... you can see him aim, you can see the gun kick... and that is when Finicum's hands went down. That video is posted in the earlier thread on this subject.

(edit) So I tried to find the earlier thread, to find the video posted there.... takes too long in our system, with my lack of skills. why can't you search threads for subjects in here...

Just go to YouTube and search for clips there. Not that it matters, since sometimes we see what we want to see anyway, but I'm not sure I saw what you saw. Seems like his right hand went against his waist area, and he pivots toward the guy with the rifle at that moment. Not easy to be certain, though, I watched it a few times.

Just go to YouTube and search for clips there. Not that it matters, since sometimes we see what we want to see anyway, but I'm not sure I saw what you saw. Seems like his right hand went against his waist area, and he pivots toward the guy with the rifle at that moment. Not easy to be certain, though, I watched it a few times.

Pretty much the same as Harambe's link, does not show the officer emerging from the woods behind, before Finicum lowers his hands. All fuzzy video. Can't be sure about anything. I'm pretty sure video cam technology is far advanced from this level of production, you have to wonder why it is done so poorly.....

I think it is good policy to question official accounts of stuff where official conduct is in any doubt.... sorta like you should want to see Hillary's emails and Obama's communications with agency personnel just as much as you wanna see Trump's stuff.

Anyways..... fifty years from now, some FOIA requests might bring out something we don't know now....well.... if we still have a free press and a FOIA law.

I would bet, if I were discussing this with anyone who would still care fifty years from now, that there will be at least three TV special reports or documentaries.... ten History Channel works in progress....that will show official misconduct....

But it is my view that people should not "resist" the guvmint on this level of protest or action. Get some people voted into office, vote for some judges or prosecutors who show some signs of wanting to keep the laws supreme over the politicians and influence peddlers. Maybe things can get better.

Right now in Utah....as rumor has it.... we have some effort going on to review criminal court practices and hold officials to better conduct with respect to people's rights. I know a little about it because of hearsay accounts from persons involved....

If I had time, I'd start about three different threads, and actually do some study on the issues here..... Hammonds' case.... Bundy case...… LaVoy….. It's all really too much for anyone to really follow..... so most of us will just accept the official accounts of guvment hacks, like we're supposed to....

If I had time, I'd start about three different threads, and actually do some study on the issues here..... Hammonds' case.... Bundy case...… LaVoy….. It's all really too much for anyone to really follow..... so most of us will just accept the official accounts of guvment hacks, like we're supposed to....

Are there any other positions or trends you’d like to assign us?

How should I feel about the Smollet case and the wall?

TIA.

Pretty much the same as Harambe's link, does not show the officer emerging from the woods behind, before Finicum lowers his hands. All fuzzy video. Can't be sure about anything. I'm pretty sure video cam technology is far advanced from this level of production, you have to wonder why it is done so poorly.....

I'm not aware of any other videos of the shooting. Whatever the date of this event, that's how far you have to go back in the forum's archives, or more probably to when the occupation of the wildlife refuge took place. In order to find the tape you believe shows what you remember. You may not be remembering it accurately, but it should not be that hard to find the old thread if you recall the time line of the occupation, and the date of Finicum's death. Memory is not very reliable, and you may not be accurately remembering the footage.

I'm not aware of any other videos of the shooting. Whatever the date of this event, that's how far you have to go back in the forum's archives, or more probably to when the occupation of the wildlife refuge took place. In order to find the tape you believe shows what you remember. You may not be remembering it accurately, but it should not be that hard to find the old thread if you recall the time line of the occupation, and the date of Finicum's death. Memory is not very reliable, and you may not be accurately remembering the footage.

He’s correctly remembering the footage. He’s inflating his interpretation of said footage with the only logical conclusion.

I watched it as well. I knew people, closely, who were part of the Bundy stand off and had ties to Finicum. He’s viewed as a martyr.

Personally, I see that footage and I see a man who believed in something so strongly that he was willing to risk his life. He acted in such a manner that he placed the cops in, to me, very reasonable fear for their life. I place zero blame on their deciding to shoot. He forced their hand.

I believe I found the video babe was recalling. Google searched "Bundy Finicum jazzfanz babe". Comment #475, by Harambe, provides a link to a 12+ minute video of the deadly encounter. I have not watched it, just the first few seconds, and it may be the video he was recalling, and he can be the judge of that. Based on the start of that footage, it may provide a different vantage of the fatal moment...

https://jazzfanz.com/threads/150-terrorists-invade-oregon.46269/page-24

He’s correctly remembering the footage. He’s inflating his interpretation of said footage with the only logical conclusion.

I watched it as well. I knew people, closely, who were part of the Bundy stand off and had ties to Finicum. He’s viewed as a martyr.

Personally, I see that footage and I see a man who believed in something so strongly that he was willing to risk his life. He acted in such a manner that he placed the cops in, to me, very reasonable fear for their life. I place zero blame on their deciding to shoot. He forced their hand.

And I can't fault you for this. I was addressing this in some of my comments, indirectly.... saying of course law enforcement legal representatives will push for such a conclusion, and that the evidence is not really all that clear, and that people like Harambe and myself will take differing views.... all pretty normal imo.

I was dismayed with Finicums verbal language and his attitude, pretty much expecting and challenging the officers to use deadly force, though I didn't miss his belief that he was in the right.

Still, it was a planned stop of a known, announced, itinerary on the way to a public meeting. The FBI could legitimately be there because of their selection of government property for the protest. But still, I think the Sheriff should have made the stop.

This all happened pretty close to the "hands up... don't shoot" thing where some were alleging police misconduct in arresting blacks with the charge of police homicide. I think Obama's attitude about that should have been, pretty much, his attitude about the cowboys.

But all that fails to address the political reasons behind the moves against both the Bundys in Nevada and the Hammonds in Oregon. The facts of the contested lands being the subject of commercial negotations being promoted by bribed or otherwise financially-benefited politicians.... involving Chines business proposals. Chinese business actually controlled by the Chinese Red Army.

Nobody is hearing about that in the media, any more than anyone is hearing about how McConnel has business ties with the Chinese, or for that matter.... Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Sen. Feinstein.

It all goes pretty smoothly with the idea of international management under terms that render US citizen's Constitutional rights and representation in our government nil.

yah.... it really makes the Trump collusion look petty.

Thank you, Red.

So I went to that, and looked at it again. It is the same as others still available on Google. I took a very close look at it, and all I can say is Finicum was still shot from behind, whatever he was doing with his hands or why. By the officer who came out of the woods.... who had been stationed there prior to the Bundy's stopping... at the road block.

The blacked out stuff is just damn annoying. No reason for that whatsoever.

And it so happens that you can see the officer in the woods..... and then there is change in the zoom feature so for a few seconds you can't see that officer. Finicums lawyers should have gotten the full view available for their defense. And published it. Bad lawyers.

And it so happens that the little black box covers the officer at for the critical seconds that could have shown whether the officer was firing before Finicum lowered his hands and starting flailing about in the snow.

That's enough. His case should be appealed, and those blacked out boxes restored to the actual footage, and the full view presented.

I've seen lawyers as bad as that before. His case should be appealed with new representation.

In in either case, you need to keep a balanced mind. Officers do what they're told, mostly. Situations create the climate for gross miscarriage of justice. We do not need to blame the officers more than their supervisors, or more than an Administration that is hell-bent on politicizing stupid stuff.

I tell whoever will listen.... don't ever join any outfit that talks about taking any action against the government beyond writing letters, hiring lawyers, and lobbying representatives. A lot of the really wild big talkers are in fact run or monitored by law enforcement like the FBI....justified by the goal of preventing civil violence and terrorism.... or perhaps seeking to entrap stupid hotheads.... take your pick. You should expect them to do that. So don't ever get involved with the stupids. We have a civil government that gives us a fair chance to act politically or socially for change we want.

If I was doing a protest, and chose such a site, I would not bring any guns in the first place. Signs and cameras are weapons enough. Then when the officials come to break up the protest, it'd be Free Speech and the Right to Assemble and the right to petition government for the redress of grievances.