What's new

Block masters Rudy and Nerlens face off tonight @ 5:00 pm in the EJ Wells Fargo Centre

Fugly game tonight, but a couple of things caught my interest. Favors had another quiet double-double 15/10 and Hayward missed by one rebound 25/9 while Rudy missed one by a point 9/15. Sometimes the Jazz are playing 3 on 5 on offense (especially when Trey is cold) and they're still finding a way to compete. Never feel like they're out of a game no matter how bad it goes for stretches. Another game with the opponent held under 90 pts. Gobert is the defensive player of the year. He may not win it, but he impacts the Jazz defense more than any other player in the league does for their team. He's the catalyst.

I don't hate Mbah a Moute as a possibility if The Jazz decide to buy out Booker. Good blue collar guy off the bench.

My newest favorite thing about our defense is our guards and wings running opponent shooters off the 3p line and not giving them opportunity to shoot or having great contests on those shots. Great closeouts allowing for some gambles thanks to our front court monsters protecting the rim.

Now we only need to fix some of the perimeter rotations that every once in a while leave a 3P shooter wide open and we are going to be simply amazing.

The current league leader in defensive efficiency is Golden State at 97.9. Here is Utah's defensive efficiency rating for each game since the all-star break:

vs Portland: 82.9
vs San Antonio: 82.5
vs LA Lakers: 107.3 (LOL)
@ Denver: 85.6
vs Milwaukee: 78.8
@ Memphis: 90.8
@ Boston: 96.8
@ Philadelphia: 86.5

That's right - outside of the ****ing Lakers game, Utah's defense in every game has been better than the NBA leader. By a massive margin in most games too.

I don't think it can be overstated - this defense since the Kanter trade has been playing at a historically great level. It is beyond elite.

And here's a little research I did for the games after ASG:

vs--------3p/game----3p%----3pvsUTA----3p%vsUTA
vs POR------- 27.7----- 36.1----- 22----- 18.2
vs SAS------- 22.9----- 36.1----- 19----- 26.3
vs LAL------- 19.2----- 34.5----- 11----- 18.2
vs DEN------- 24.2----- 31.3----- 21----- 42.9
vs MIL------- 18.7----- 37.1----- 15----- 33.3
vs MEM------- 15.3----- 33.5----- 25----- 20
vs BOS------- 24.3----- 32.8----- 27----- 29.6
vs PHI------- 24.6----- 31.9----- 32----- 31.3

Sorry for the formatting issues, hope it's clear what we are talking about - first column is the opponent, second is the opponents # of 3P FGA/game, third is opponents 3p FG% for the season, fourth one is how many 3p they took against us, the last one is what % they shot against us from 3.

There's only one game in which the opponent has shot above their season average from 3 and that's the Denver game, in which we blew them out and there were some garbage time 3s. For the rest, opponents have shot lower than their season averages. Also, worth pointing out that with the exception of the last 3 games, opponents have been shooting much fewer 3s against this defense. Sample size is still relatively small, but I think there is a tendency forming up - we are defending the perimeter very well and opponents are missing 3s.

That's a good thing to see and an underrated part of our current defense. When you add the rim protection and the fact that opponents are shooting below 50% in the restricted area(per Grantland article), I think the reasons for our new found defensive success becomes even more clear - we are running teams off of the 3p line, we are scaring them away from the restricted area, and even when they do shoot, they are shooting worse than 1ppp from the two most effective zones on the field. What's left for them - inefficient long 2s where pretty much only Chris Paul and Curry are above 1ppp in the league(this is exaggeration, but the list of effective mid-range shooters s indeed very short).

We did a HORRIBLE job of keeping Philly off the 3PT line. They missed WIDE OPEN looks all night long. And Philly OWNED the paint. Gobert got his rebounds because Philly shot such a terrible percentage. Noel and Robinson were manhandling our bigs. Philly is a bad team overall but they owned the paint tonight. And 4-16 from our PG's, with a whopping 3 assists. Good gawd...Ish Smith looked like an all-star tonight. Forget about adding a wing player; something has to be done about our piss poor PG's.

We did a HORRIBLE job of keeping Philly off the 3PT line. They missed WIDE OPEN looks all night long. And Philly OWNED the paint. Gobert got his rebounds because Philly shot such a terrible percentage. Noel and Robinson were manhandling our bigs. Philly is a bad team overall but they owned the paint tonight. And 4-16 from our PG's, with a whopping 3 assists. Good gawd...Ish Smith looked like an all-star tonight. Forget about adding a wing player; something has to be done about our piss poor PG's.

I'm drunk, but I agree.

+1 to the above
With a decent PG we're probably at least 5-7 wins (maybe more) better off, the priority this offseason should be PG and then a 3 and D wing, DMC should be easier to get than some of the others which will be out there plus his size (DMCs) Hayward can slide to SG for 15mins. We are a real PG away from a playoff run next season, scoring will be better next season with Burks back and Hood developing-But get us a PG in the worst way

Yah, today and against Boston we had some breakdowns and some screwed up rotations on the perimeter. But in general, I think we've been doing much better job of defending the 3 post all-star week.

I don't really agree about them manhandling our bigs. We've gotten used to our bigs dominating opposing bigs and every time we get some resistance it looks like we are doing poor job. We won the rebounding battle 49-43 yet again and the offensive boards were 12 to 13. I think their bigs were much more active in defense(that's in general their style of play in D - they swipe at the ball and pester you), and it looked like our bigs weren't really ready for it. Our starting bigs still scored 24pts on 20 shots. For the subs I have to agree, Booker had probably his worst game with us and Robinson was walking all over him.

Yeah PG is our weakest position right now, but I don't know if you can justify adding a vet PG with the young talent of Exum and Burke. Here's to hoping Exum turns a corner next year and we have our PG.

The best thing about this win is the Jazz didn't let the heartbreaking loss at Boston carry over to this game.

Philly shoots less than 32% from 3 - they're about the worst in the league from 3 and the worst shooting team overall. I think the game plan was to let them beat The Jazz from the outside. And while it's an overstatement to say Philly "owned the paint" I think there is a larger point to be made about hustle plays. The Jazz were horrible last night and on Wednesday against the Boston on loose ball plays. It seems like almost every loose ball up for grabs went to Philly/Boston. Jazz have not been getting at the ball like they were a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's all the road games, I don't know. When you're a young team maybe you're less inclined to dive on the ball when you don't have the home crowd to energize you. But when you turn the ball over as much as Utah does, you have to win the 50/50 battle virtually every night.

They're just tired right now. That's why they lose those balls and have so much trouble both in offense and defense. They're a step late.

Calm down mate. Lord almighty.

Philly has built a fine defensive identity that is being praised among the industry. They have groupings that are the number one rebounding trios in the league. Youre freaking that we didnt utterly dominate the best of the best?