What's new

Boozer Agrees to Terms With Bulls (5 yrs/80 mil)

Last season was Boozer's audition for free agency. His antics and interviews with the media in potential destinations during the season were very telling (e.g., New York). Everyone should have known he was leaving. He took the big cash in Utah and wanted out almost from the beginning. He had little choice but to opt-in (he would have taken a pay cut) last season to stay with the Jazz. But finally we get to end the akward relationship between the Jazz and Carlos Boozer. I think this will help team chemistry, but we are getting awfully thin up front. All eyes are on KOC right now. With the trade exceptions and AK's contract, the Jazz need to position themselves to compete this season and be able to truly contend two-three years down the road.

It will be fun to root against the Bulls this season and watch them dissapoint (assuming they don't land Lebron). They were only a .500 team last year with major ego problems. Granted, they got rid of Del Negro, arguably the worst head coach in the NBA. Kirk Hinrich was overpayed, but also underrated. He will be missed. The Bulls were a very average team defensively last season. Boozer's matador defense certainly won't help. I just don't see Chicago + Thibodeau + Boozer as champtionship contenders. Also, I don't see Boozer being as productive with Rose as he was with Williams.

"Originally Posted by DRIVEWAYBALL
Finally, the only thing standing between the Jazz and championship glory is gone! A string of Jazz NBA championships is sure to follow."

nice of you to poke your head in one last time. Will this be your last post?

If only we could be so fortunate.

I hope Millsap's foul rate goes down so he can stay on the court for 40 min a night.
To a degree, that has happened.

In the playoffs, PM's foul rate was 3.3 per 30 vs. 2.8 per 30 for Boozer. If anything, that's too low. They might have not been aggressive enough vs. the Lakers, preferring to preserve their PFs in order to easily keep them on the court. In the playoffs, Boozer averaged 40 MPG, and Millsap 32, and more than once the Boozer-Millsap combination was part of the lineup that lost a lead or small deficit in the middle of the fourth quarter.

As you might suspect, I think that Sloan should've given more minutes to Fesenko (only 18 MPG, including a 30-minute showing in the last game), who had a positive (or nonnegative) on-court/off-court +/- in every single game of the playoffs, despite his rawness and limited offensive production. Like most centers (see Joakim Noah's 10 points in 30 minutes during the regular season), the center doesn't usually have to score a lot. Especially against the Lakers, the more important thing was to be physical and control the paint. Deron, Boozer/Millsap, and Matthews/Korver were there to score, especially with Memo out. Time after time, PM + CB was not enough height to contain the Twin Towers of Hollywood (Gasol + Bynum/Odom), and Utah went home with nary a victory over the Lakers, even though Fesenko paired with either Boozer or Millsap had proven to be effective during the regular season and playoffs alike.

Last edited:
I wonder how long Williams sticks around to watch this rebuilding project? haha

My guess is he's gone when his contract is up. Can't blame him, either. I wouldn't want to play for a 40-win team knowing I was the best at my position.

Deron don't seem to be worried about nuthin, eh?:

“We had a great five seasons while he was here!” Williams wrote. “He made a business decision that was best for him and [you] have to respect that. Gives Paul [Millsap] a chance to play extended minutes and shine like he is capable of doing!”

Millsap has averaged 15.9 points and 9.9 rebounds as a starter in his career and recorded 19 consecutive double-doubles with Boozer injured in the 2008-09 season. He also has missed only six games in four seasons in contrast to Boozer’s injury history."

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/49891322-75/boozer-jazz-chicago-forward.html.csp

Deron don't seem to be worried about nuthin, eh?:

“We had a great five seasons while he was here!” Williams wrote. “He made a business decision that was best for him and [you] have to respect that. Gives Paul [Millsap] a chance to play extended minutes and shine like he is capable of doing!”

Millsap has averaged 15.9 points and 9.9 rebounds as a starter in his career and recorded 19 consecutive double-doubles with Boozer injured in the 2008-09 season. He also has missed only six games in four seasons in contrast to Boozer’s injury history."

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/49891322-75/boozer-jazz-chicago-forward.html.csp
Nice balanced email by Deron wishing Boozer well and welcoming Millsap to a bigger role.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited to see what Paul can do. We all know he's capable, let's hope he brings it next season. I have no doubt he will.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited to see what Paul can do. We all know he's capable, let's hope he brings it next season. I have no doubt he will.

As Sloan said, If Millsap is going to replace Booz, who is going to replace Millsap? I am also excited to see what Millsap can do, but not so much about what our bench can do without him.

As Sloan said, If Millsap is going to replace Booz, who is going to replace Millsap? I am also excited to see what Millsap can do, but not so much about what our bench can do without him.

Honestly, if AK can stay healthy and play like he did the second half of the season, the PF should be taken care of. But I have no idea if AK has anything left.

Would Al Harrington be a decent replacement? I never liked the guy but allegedly the Jazz are interested, and he's always been a 17-20 ppg scorer in his career.

Bulls are pretty much our previous team now. Except Noah is a defensive based player while Okur is offensive. Production wise both are similar. Rose will continue to improve next year and be close to Deron. Deng = AK for all practical purposes. Taj Gibson isn't Milsap but might be close next year. We'll see if a quality "defensive" center makes all the difference in the world.

Bulls are pretty much our previous team now. Except Noah is a defensive based player while Okur is offensive. Production wise both are similar. Rose will continue to improve next year and be close to Deron. Deng = AK for all practical purposes. Taj Gibson isn't Milsap but might be close next year. We'll see if a quality "defensive" center makes all the difference in the world.

I would take Noah+Deng for Okur (even pre injury)+AK, wouldn't you? If let's say Okur recovers fully and performs like before when 2010 season starts, and Bulls GM will come to you with this trade offer, will you say, meh, about even, or will you immediately get on your knees and blow him before he changes his mind?

I would take Noah+Deng for Okur (even pre injury)+AK, wouldn't you? If let's say Okur recovers fully and performs like before when 2010 season starts, and Bulls GM will come to you with this trade offer, will you say, meh, about even, or will you immediately get on your knees and blow him before he changes his mind?
So would I.

But Chicago won't.

And Okur ain't gonna be healed by the start of the 2010 season.

We need to get our Euro Pau Gasol wannabe over here quickly! Hopefully he'll be an official Jazz man after next season cause I'm tired of waiting.

I'm intrigued by the locker room dynamic Harrington might open up, but it's always irritating to see how well he has been as a scorer over the years. who knows maybe if he gets into a niche-y organization like the jazz they might use him right and he might be open to that. we definitely need to find scoring off the bench now. CJ was solid for points last season off, but remember he was like a bench guy but started mostly too. who knows if hes gonna see progress this next season.

I guess this is the thread to post this in.

It's pulled from John Lund's blog on 1280. A list of possible bigs for the Jazz where the TPE would work. Besides Bass at 4 mil, the Jazz should just look at those players that could fill a center spot. Honestly, everyone besides Murphy (Okur #2), Jefferson (Millsap #2) and Chandler (injured all the time) would be appealing and add something different to the lineup.

Tyson Chandler $11.7M
Marcin Gortat $5.85
Al Jefferson $12
Chris Kaman $10.4
Emeka Okafor $10.8
Joel Pryzbilla $6.8
Hasheem Thabeet $4.5M
Brandon Bass $4M
Troy Murphy $11.7M
Tyrus Thomas $4.7 2009 salary (Free agent)
Luis Scola $3.2M 2009 salary (Free agent)

Lund wants Okafor, but I worry that if the West/Okafor combo didn't work in N.O. then Millsap/Okafor may not either. Especially versus longer teams.

https://www.1280thezone.com/pages/7646023.php

I think Okafor is due to have an entire leg come off or something in a game this year. I think, since it isn't my money but I'm naturally cheap, I'd be high on Scola, Gortat, Pryzbilla, and Thabeet in that order.

I think Okafor is due to have an entire leg come off or something in a game this year. I think, since it isn't my money but I'm naturally cheap, I'd be high on Scola, Gortat, Pryzbilla, and Thabeet in that order.

Yeah, I agree. I'm liking Gortat at this point with Fes off the bench, but not sure what Orlando's incentive would be.