What's new

Boozer KFAN rumor

I got these questions answered in Hollinger's chat today. Here's the basic take:

1. Hollinger was wrong about combining the TPE. Can't be done.
2. Booze basically becomes Base Year in a new deal (not guaranteed, but likely)
3. Due to the fine print in the CBA BYC rules, he doesn't have a trade value of half (or roughly 8). It would be approximately 12 million, or his current salary.

Thus, a straight, 2 team S&T with Orlando requires the Jazz to take back approximately 11 million in salary. They would then need to get a 3rd team to eat a contract if they only wanted 2 or 1 guy. For example, they could do an S&T with Orlando to get Gortat and Bass, but would then find a team who wanted Bass and was willing to give up the Cap Space. Presumably, the Jazz and/or the Magic could sweeten the offer to the 3rd team with 2nd round picks, cash, etc. There are countless permutations of this. Alternatively, the Jazz could decide there is 11 million dollars in contracts they want and just do the deal.

Interesting. Thanks. I gotta think the Nets, Wizards, and Knicks could all end up possibilities as a third team given the fact that they may have substanial cap room even after the big named guys are signed.

Interesting. Thanks. I gotta think the Nets, Wizards, and Knicks could all end up possibilities as a third team given the fact that they may have substanial cap room even after the big named guys are signed.

Another possibility, meant as a hypothetical and not likely, would be to deal with Dallas. They get Booze for Dampier straight up, Dampier is cut before camp (his contract isn't guaranteed), and then the Mavs allow us to take Beaubois with one of our TPE's (or it might work mathematically in the same deal.) Working an S&T with a Cap Space team is preferable, but it's interesting how our TPE's might actually wind up having some use. Even with the Mavs, an alternative would be getting them to agree to a sign and trade with Haywood. I don't see Haywood agreeing, but we could actually absorb Haywood under the Harp TPE if he's the guy we really wanted. In another very similar financial deal, we could probably get Beasley for Booze. I really think the Jazz have to start considering that. Even with his problems, Beasley is the best asset we could acquire. As long as his head checks out, maybe getting him into a professional environment without all the distractions would turn him around.

An Orlando agent has already shot down that deal no point in talking about it. Its looking like a S&T won't happen, Amare has reportedly agreed to a regular 5 year max offer from the Knicks, leaving Phoneix with nothing but an aging Nash and a clown haired center. If Amare doesn't get 6 years Boozer probably won't either.

This trade may be dead, but here's the BYC ruling with precise numbers.

Boozer made $12.657M last year, so if a S&T contract gives him more than a 20% raise ($15.189M salary or higher), he becomes base year.

In that case the Jazz would count Boozer at his old salary in the trade ($12.657M) and could take back somewhere between $10.046M and $15.922M). The other team would take on Boozer at his new salary ($15.189M) and could take back somewhere between $12.071M and $19.086M.

The "sweet spot" would be between the other team's low end of $12.071M and the Jazz' high end of $15.922M. If they landed there, no additional players or third teams would be needed, despite the BYC considerations.

Last edited:
An Orlando agent has already shot down that deal no point in talking about it. Its looking like a S&T won't happen, Amare has reportedly agreed to a regular 5 year max offer from the Knicks, leaving Phoneix with nothing but an aging Nash and a clown haired center. If Amare doesn't get 6 years Boozer probably won't either.

Amare can't get 6 without an S&T. The Knicks don't have anything to offer Phoenix, and Phoenix has already been spending in free agency. They likely aren't very inclined to help Amare get richer. As for the Orlando rumor being 'shot down,' an agent is a highly unreliable source for that. Most likely, Orlando is still clinging to dreams of obtaining CP3 or perhaps an S&T for one of the other premiere bigs. They'll come happily back to Boozer negotiations once the options shrink.

Amare can't get 6 without an S&T. The Knicks don't have anything to offer Phoenix, and Phoenix has already been spending in free agency. They likely aren't very inclined to help Amare get richer. As for the Orlando rumor being 'shot down,' an agent is a highly unreliable source for that. Most likely, Orlando is still clinging to dreams of obtaining CP3 or perhaps an S&T for one of the other premiere bigs. They'll come happily back to Boozer negotiations once the options shrink.

beat me to it. Well said.
Also, thanks for clearing up the TPE confusion earlier.

EDIT:
also, options only need to shrink by one more player in order for Boozer to be on the hot seat: Bosh. It seems that Bosh is going to wait for LeBron, so I'm guessing we get to stew about things for another week, plus or minus.

This trade may be dead, but here's the BYC ruling with precise numbers.

Boozer made $12.657M last year, so if a S&T contract gives him more than a 20% raise ($15.189M salary or higher), he becomes base year.

In that case the Jazz would count Boozer at his old salary in the trade ($12.657M) and could take back somewhere between $10.046M and $15.922M). The other team would take on Boozer at his new salary ($15.189M) and could take back somewhere between $12.071M and $19.086M.

The "sweet spot" would be between the other team's low end of $12.071M and the Jazz' high end of $15.922M. If they landed there, no additional players or third teams would be needed, despite the BYC considerations.

Kenwood, you're losing me a little bit here. If Boozer becomes Base Year, it seems the only figure that matters is his Base Year Trade Figure. That number is his salary--12.5ish. So in that scenario, we should be able to deal with Orlando 'down' to 9.5ish. Thus, we could take back that little in salary while they get Booze. As long as we get to that figure with two players we want, the deal works. But it sounds like there is something I'm missing.

Kenwood, you're losing me a little bit here. If Boozer becomes Base Year, it seems the only figure that matters is his Base Year Trade Figure. That number is his salary--12.5ish. So in that scenario, we should be able to deal with Orlando 'down' to 9.5ish. Thus, we could take back that little in salary while they get Booze. As long as we get to that figure with two players we want, the deal works. But it sounds like there is something I'm missing.

pinch-hitting for my brother here. if he becomes BYC (starting salary of 15.189M or higher), then his BYC figure is what matters TO THE JAZZ... but as kenwood pointed out, the other team (orlando in this case) still has to do the math on their end based on his ACTUAL starting salary.

but this is not as big an obstacle with higher salary players because of the 125% + 100K window. it's a bigger deal when, say, a minimum salary guy sign for 5M. in that case, team A has to count him at 2.5M and can take back a maximum of 3.225M, but team B has to count him at the full 5M and must send away a minimum of 3.92M. there is no overlap in the range the two teams use to calculate, so they either need an under-the-cap team to broker a 3-way deal, or they need to include other players to bring the two ranges closer.

in boozer's case, there IS an overlap. even if boozer became a BYC, the jazz could still take back as much as 15.92M. and if the other team was sending us 15.92M, they could afford to give boozer a salary up to the max just using the 125% +100K rule. got it?

SHORT version - BYC status won't REALLY matter for boozer, but it matters immensely for players getting a huge raise because they only count on their previous team's end of the trade for 50% of their new salary.

Yes, Chandler will be in the running for comeback player of the year. He's only on the books for 1 year (vs 4yr/ 28M) & I think its financially irresponsible taking back contracts that extend past DWill's contract. See how good Chandler was w/ Chris Paul & while healthy. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Gortat but not if we have to take back additional long contracts. I'm also on the record with saying Gortat is just a more polished version of Fes.

He hasn't been healthy in 2 years. The Thunder were desperate for a Center and they turned him down for nothing. He has major foot problems. The asthma thing is over blown. But he has had constant foot problems. And I don't see how it magically is fixed when it was a constant problem for 2 years.

If it was the Chandler before the Chronic foot problems than I would agree with you. But paying more for the luxury tax for one year and for somebody who probably won't resign. And a guy who might only be 27 but he has a lot of mileage on him.

Its not hard to put up 11 points 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. And Gortat can do the same in terms of stats and he is a bargain at that price in comparison to the rest of the league. And who cares if a contract goes longer than D-Will's? Why does that matter? Unless max player or close to. That doesn't make sense. Its not like we need to clear cap space to sign 2 big free agents.

pinch-hitting for my brother here. if he becomes BYC (starting salary of 15.189M or higher), then his BYC figure is what matters TO THE JAZZ... but as kenwood pointed out, the other team (orlando in this case) still has to do the math on their end based on his ACTUAL starting salary.

but this is not as big an obstacle with higher salary players because of the 125% + 100K window. it's a bigger deal when, say, a minimum salary guy sign for 5M. in that case, team A has to count him at 2.5M and can take back a maximum of 3.225M, but team B has to count him at the full 5M and must send away a minimum of 3.92M. there is no overlap in the range the two teams use to calculate, so they either need an under-the-cap team to broker a 3-way deal, or they need to include other players to bring the two ranges closer.

in boozer's case, there IS an overlap. even if boozer became a BYC, the jazz could still take back as much as 15.92M. and if the other team was sending us 15.92M, they could afford to give boozer a salary up to the max just using the 125% +100K rule. got it?

SHORT version - BYC status won't REALLY matter for boozer, but it matters immensely for players getting a huge raise because they only count on their previous team's end of the trade for 50% of their new salary.

Thanks for the clarification. In addition to what you wrote, I had to read #77 of Coon about 700 times for it to really sink in. But I got it. For practical purposes, this doesn't help us much. My assumption is the Jazz only want a small return on Boozer with a Cap Space team in an S&T, but would have to be wowed to to work an S&T with an Over The Cap team. They could still do the latter, but more likely a third team to eat some of the salary would probably be a requirement for us.

Not sure if it's been proposed but Chandler for Okur makes a little sense imo. For Charlotte, Okur could reunite with Brown and is cheaper this year by 3.3M and would be an expiring next summer. For us, we'd get a presence in the middle whose contract expires. While it costs 6.6M this year (LT), we'd save overall since he'd be off the books next season.

Edit: Obviously Okur would have to get healthy for this to make sense for Charlotte.

For practical purposes, this doesn't help us much. My assumption is the Jazz only want a small return on Boozer with a Cap Space team in an S&T, but would have to be wowed to to work an S&T with an Over The Cap team.

exactly. a S&T most benefits the jazz if they are dealing with a team that has cap space and can send back cheap assets. but for those teams, BYC wouldn't even matter because you don't need an exception to trade small $ for big $ when you are under the cap.

all this renders the whole BYC discussion as all but completely useless. there is only a small chance BYC will be an issue at all, and even if it is, it will be absolutely workable.

The problem is that most teams under the cap at this stage can just sign Boozer outright if they want. Trading with a team over the cap seems to me to be the only thing that makes any real sense (unless NJ wants to dump Humphries with another asset to get more cap room or Miami dumping Beasley for a similar purpose).

The problem is that most teams under the cap at this stage can just sign Boozer outright if they want. Trading with a team over the cap seems to me to be the only thing that makes any real sense (unless NJ wants to dump Humphries with another asset to get more cap room or Miami dumping Beasley for a similar purpose).

Right, but teams under the cap still want to maximize their Cap Space. Signing Boozer outright dents them at 15ish. Signing Boozer while giving back a redundant asset can save them money they can put toward another player they need. Additionally, if Booze has even two teams vying for his services, that 6th year could actually come into play. And Under The Cap teams give the Jazz the opportunity to take back only what they want. But if they can find a package they like with an Over The Cap team, that's definitely a way to go as well.

I think you received the wrong impression. I have never once suggested we wait for the contracts to be signed before we speculate. I've merely suggested that we wait for Lebron to be signed. Otherwise, I think it's premature speculation. IMO, if we are to speculate we need to have just a little shred of evidence or an idea as to why player x is interested in team y. Instead, we're seeing a bunch of players waiting to see what one player does.

Since this is subjective you're certainly welcome to have a different opinion. This is just my opinion. Until, we know anything more than a bunch of free agents with a bunch of teams with money waiting to see where ONE player goes, I think it's pretty worthless to even begin to guess or speculate where anyone is going. Under normal circumstances right now would be the time to speculate. We'd be able to speculate that Boozer would go to NY because of *insert whatever*. However, every single notable free agent out there is sitting around waiting for Lebron's decision. Have we ever seen a free agency period like this? I sure haven't, not in any sport, ever. I think this adds an element that changes everything.

Again, subjective, we're splitting hairs here, feel free to argue.

I can't wait until the Lebron announcement tonight so that we can finally begin to speculate on where Boozer might go. Thoughts?