What's new

Boozer, The Draft, and making the playoffs

The more I think about it the more I realize that the Jazz need to resign Boozer. But not because what they lose if he leaves but rather what is left if he leaves. At the moment lets say Boozer signs with the Nyets for near max money. The Jazz will be left with Millsap (Equal to or better depending on his impact on defense) Koufas (his biggest contribution to the organization is Boom Bitches) AK47 (Think a box of chocolate and Forest Gump) and probably a role player of a first round pick. On top of that no one knows where Memo is going to be in regards to his injury. So without Boozer the Jazz will take a big drop in production but not because of him directly. If Memo was healthy, you knew that AK47 would be the 04 model not the 07,08,09, and to a point 10 model, and the player we drafted could replace Millsap off the bench then yes say goodbye to Carlos. Unfortunately, none of those things are going to happen. Heck even if it was Memo was healthy and the Jazz got a good player in the draft (i.e. Cousins, Monroe, or Favors) then I would be all for telling Boozer it's been real but have fun in New Jersey. Hopefully KOC pulls an 05 out of his butt and we get into the top 5, but I'm not holding my breath. So without Boozer I don't believe this team will make the playoffs and that increases the chances of DWill wanting out. If that happens you should just start calling the Jazz either Seattle or Las Vegas instead of Utah. Am I right or wrong?

The more I think about it the more I realize that the Jazz need to resign Boozer. But not because what they lose if he leaves but rather what is left if he leaves. At the moment lets say Boozer signs with the Nyets for near max money. The Jazz will be left with Millsap (Equal to or better depending on his impact on defense) Koufas (his biggest contribution to the organization is Boom Bitches) AK47 (Think a box of chocolate and Forest Gump) and probably a role player of a first round pick. On top of that no one knows where Memo is going to be in regards to his injury. So without Boozer the Jazz will take a big drop in production but not because of him directly. If Memo was healthy, you knew that AK47 would be the 04 model not the 07,08,09, and to a point 10 model, and the player we drafted could replace Millsap off the bench then yes say goodbye to Carlos. Unfortunately, none of those things are going to happen. Heck even if it was Memo was healthy and the Jazz got a good player in the draft (i.e. Cousins, Monroe, or Favors) then I would be all for telling Boozer it's been real but have fun in New Jersey. Hopefully KOC pulls an 05 out of his butt and we get into the top 5, but I'm not holding my breath. So without Boozer I don't believe this team will make the playoffs and that increases the chances of DWill wanting out. If that happens you should just start calling the Jazz either Seattle or Las Vegas instead of Utah. Am I right or wrong?

Regardless of what happens, we're moving the Jazz to Vegas. Its just a good fit for the Lakers.

Well if the Jazz FO believes that Millsap can really start and play big minutes at the PF spot without fouling out, they can let Boozer go and pick up a back-up PF for this year through free agency or this draft. AK is injury prone and might get traded. Okur coming off his injury might be best suited for coming off the bench. So, the Jazz may not be counting on much from those two. The bigger question might be at center, where the Jazz have Fess and Koufos, and used to play Millsap and Boozer together.

Given the situation at the Center spot, the Jazz might be tempted to take Aldrich in this draft (assuming Cousins and Monroe are not available).

I think the Jazz do want to re-sign Boozer and might be willing to trade AK or Millsap to do it. But they are making preparations to go in another direction. They'll take the BPA available in this draft, then fill in with a free agent or two once they know the situation with Boozer.

It's going to be tough to "dump" AK's salary. Nobody wants to pay him $17M to be a backup. But that contract becomes extremely valuable as an expiring around the deadline - if you can take back salaries. If not, the Jazz would have to really sweeten the deal to get someone to assume the remaining $9M owing in cash and $17M in cap space. And how many teams will have that kind of space available?

Miller can't afford to re-sign Boozer and hope KOC can pull a rabbit out of his arse like he did offloading Harpring and Brewer. The former also cost a #1 pick. The latter was trading a decent cheap back-up who also had an expiring contract. I doubt KOC can do the same with a $17M player.

You can't be shortsighted and hurt the team for 6 yrs. financially, just to win a few extra games until Okur returns (or until AK is dealt). Unless the Jazz draft Aldrich or move up for Cousins (not likely), it will be Fes, Boom B and a FA manning the 5 when the season begins.

Relax. The jazz weren't supposed to survive when John & Karl left--that was 2003 and jazz are doing fine. When Boozer leaves and D-will decides to go somewhere else the Jazz will recover.

The Millers might get tired of the drama and cash-out, but players coming and going won't matter.

The Jazz have had how May losing seasons since Sloan took over the team 21 years ago? That would be 1 and only 3 of those years did we not make the Playoffs. D-Will and a bunch of scrubs running sloan's system is going to give us a winning season. I think the Jazz still make the payoffs and finish 5-6 games over .500 without Carlos on the roster. You forget how well this team played when Carlos was sitting behind the Bench for half a year last year being injured. It was when he came back and demanded that ball that we fell apart that year. We well be fine without Carlos and his almost max money contract for 6 years. And after this year we well have cap some cap space to work on the roster when AK comes off the books.

The Jazz have had how May losing seasons since Sloan took over the team 21 years ago? That would be 1 and only 3 of those years did we not make the Playoffs. D-Will and a bunch of scrubs running sloan's system is going to give us a winning season. I think the Jazz still make the payoffs and finish 5-6 games over .500 without Carlos on the roster. You forget how well this team played when Carlos was sitting behind the Bench for half a year last year being injured. It was when he came back and demanded that ball that we fell apart that year. We well be fine without Carlos and his almost max money contract for 6 years. And after this year we well have cap some cap space to work on the roster when AK comes off the books.

The problem is that longtime Jazz fans are no longer happy JUST making the playoffs. What happened to all these assets the Jazz are suppose to have. It is very likely the Jazz could lose both Boozer and AK without getting anything but cap space. Whoopey the Jazz are not going to get top notch free agents to come to SLC. The problem with the Jazz is they got well too soon after 2003. A few years of crappy losing basketball would have been fine so the Jazz could have two or three years to get top NBA talent instead of bottom feeding and hoping with hard work the Jazz can win it all. I know the fans are great in SLC but moving the team to Las Vegas certainly would help attracting top notch agents.

I know the fans are great in SLC but moving the team to Las Vegas certainly would help attracting top notch agents.

You must not remember back in the day when the Jazz used to split the regular season games with Vegas. That was a disaster. Vegas had no support for the teams and even then most of the time the fans were cheering for the other team.

Right now Vegas has an unemployment rate at over 14% and is completely over priced in everything. The last place you would want to move a pro team right now if you were and owner is Vegas. Unless you wanted crowds the size of Detroit or New Orleans. The Jazz make 5 times as much money in Utah right now with the crowds they get. And as a business owner that sells out his area as much as any other team in the league (because the team is always good enough to win most of the time). Why would you move to another place just on the chance that it might attract better FA's?

The problem is that longtime Jazz fans are no longer happy JUST making the playoffs. What happened to all these assets the Jazz are suppose to have. It is very likely the Jazz could lose both Boozer and AK without getting anything but cap space.
That's the problem I had with KEEPING Boozer last season. To afford him, the Jazz had to dump Harping's expiring, a 1st-round pick (Maynor) and another expiring/decent reserve in Brewer. So three assets washed down the toilet that could have instead been traded for players or picks.

Now Boozer likely walks because the Jazz have to save money. We'd be sitting a lot better if we still had Maynor and had acquired a decent player for Harpring. Maybe KOC can still be a player in the market with Harp's exception. But, unlike the Jazz could have done at the deadline, there's no way to include a throw-in to make salaries match in a trade.

So the Jazz are down to the #9 pick + AK's expiring + an uncertain future pick from Memphis. Yep, so much for all those assets.

Yeah, Boozer, Okur, and Korver all opting to stay really put a drain on what we could do. It sucked half of our assets to try to not have to pay extra millions in Lux tax for nothing.

Don't worry too much about moving Maynor. OKC is rumored to be dumping him off to Indiana, along with two other first round draft picks, for the 10th pick in the draft. Pick number 10, like 9, is not likely to yield much of a player.

Don't worry too much about moving Maynor. OKC is rumored to be dumping him off to Indiana, along with two other first round draft picks, for the 10th pick in the draft. Pick number 10, like 9, is not likely to yield much of a player.

That's interesting. Wonder who the Thunder covet at #10 to give up so much? Would anyone give Thunder #9 pick for the same deal? Jazz get Maynor back and the #18 and #21 pick.

Maybe even swap #55 for one Thunders higher second round picks also.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I realize that the Jazz need to resign Boozer. But not because what they lose if he leaves but rather what is left if he leaves.

Keep in mind that if the Jazz let Boozer walk, they may spend money on a free agent PF/C. They have the MLE to spend, at least.

Boozer Good bye!

Millsap will step up. Paul doesnt afraid Lakers and Co. Instead of Boozer.

It's not a matter of Millsap stepping up. It's a matter of him getting blocked everytime he goes to the hole against the lakers. I love Millsap, but he would do nothing for us against longer teams.