What's new

Boozer to NJ - Why I think it will happen

green

So, after watching ESPN's FA special, and listening to those yahoos talk, I really, really, really feel that there is a good chance we still end up with Favors. They all said that LeBron either ends up in Cle or Chi, but I don't buy it. Here is each big team and why:

Mia - There is no way he plays with Wade. They both have too large of egos. Plus, with the the CBA coming out, Miami may very well end up paying so much in luxury tax that they cannot afford the players they will sign. They said tonight that there is a good chance that the luxury tax penalty may go way up ($2+ per dollar over the cap). Can you imagine having the cap set at 65 million and having 48 million tied up in 3 players? That would leave you 17 million for 9 players. Not a good team. I think Miami ends up with Wade and Stoudemire.

NY - NY sucks, and might end up with Boozer or Stoudemire, but I think they end up with Lee. Why would anyone want to go to NY with all the other options available.

Chi - Why would LeBron go to MJ's house? Unless he wins 6+ titles, he will never be as good as MJ. I think Chicago ends up with Bosh and Johnson.

Cle - Remember Garnett? I think he said loyalty will only take you so far. LeBron will not be the next Garnett.

That leaves NJ.

Before I get to NJ, one of the talking heads said that he thinks teams will not wait around for LeBron to commit to them. That Chi, Mia, etc would sign FA's then go to LeBron and tell him how good they are and how he will take them to the promised land. He also said that part of the motivation of not waiting for LeBron is that you don't want to be one of the three teams vying for LeBron and end up with nobody.

So.....here is my NJ theory:

NJ goes out and trades for Boozer. They send us Favors, and other contracts to get themselves far enough below the cap to get LeBron. They then go to LeBron and have him sit down with the Russian Mark Cuban. RMC says, look at us. We have Devon Harris, Boozer, and Lopez. I have more money than anyone you know, and the luxury tax is nothing but chump change in my pockets. I have told everyone that the Nets are going to win multiple titles, and you are going to win those for me. I will bring in whoever you want, and pay whatever you want.

Now, that takes care of the basketball side and the NBA titles. Now onto the LeBron legacy. You want to grow your brand, LeBron. You want to have your own line of clothes, perfume, cars, whatever. You feel that NY gives you the best chance for those opportunities. Well, this isn't NY, but we will win titles, and we will be Brooklyn very soon. So, you will have everything you have ever wanted, I will show the world that communism is better than capitalism, and we will both go down as gods in our respective circle of friends. And all I (the RMC) have to give up is Favors.

Well, this is my hope and my dream. Let's pray it comes true.

Deron/Price
Miles/Matthews
AK/Hayward
Millsap/Favors
Memo/Fes

2010-2011 Champions right there

If all that were true then they would have likely taken Cousins since we were apparently more interested in Cousins. Still, we would do it in an instant if it were out there and possible.

Boozer could end up signing with New Jersey, but he is not likely a top priority FA signing for them. They wiil be after much bigger fish. With one of the best young C's in the NBA and $$$ to burn, NJ is attractive to the bigger name FA's too.

Boozer could end up signing with New Jersey, but he is not likely a top priority FA signing for them. They wiil be after much bigger fish. With one of the best young C's in the NBA and $$$ to burn, NJ is attractive to the bigger name FA's too.

See, I don't buy this. First, Bosh and Wade will not even consider NJ because there is shot they aren't as good as MIA or Chi. Who is bigger that is left? Stoudemire? He has a bigger name, but the dude averaged 4 rebs in the playoffs. He is not a good sidekick. Johnson? Would you rather play with potentially the best C in basketball, and a top 5 PF or Joe Johnson? Boozer is a much better potential teammate then Johnson.

Boozer makes the most sense for NJ, and NJ has the pockets to drastically overpay him to get LeBron.

If all that were true then they would have likely taken Cousins since we were apparently more interested in Cousins. Still, we would do it in an instant if it were out there and possible.

You can't take Cousins if you are NJ because if the Boozer play doesn't work, more teams will want Favors than Cousins. Favors is the safer pick for a bigger return.

Something else to add to why NJ would trade for Boozer. Right now, Utah holds the cards with Boozer. They need Boozer and can give him more money than anyone else. Boozer will chase the $$$ even if he ends up in Utah. Utah can say there is no way we will sign and trade Boozer; we need him. We will max him out here in Utah and keep him. So NJ trades Favors, who has a TON of upside, but is no Boozer and Favors will not entice LeBron. Boozer on the other hand is very enticing.

Since New Jersey is under the cap and Boozer wants more money...There's a possibility of a sign and trade of Boozer for Favors.... Avery Johnson wants to win now and Boozer gives them a veteran that can help them now.
Utah will not pay the max or even overpay to keep Boozer nor should they. If Boozer's agent pushes for more money (sign and trade) from New Jersey, they will have to give up something...Why not Favors!!!

I can't see why Nets would want Boozer over Favors. Nets are young and have time to build a contender. Favors has far more upside than Boozer ever did. Favors and Lopez together have a 10 year plus window of opportunity. Nets don't need to get Lebron to be very good. They have enough money to add players like Joe Johnson at SG and Rudy Gay at SF to be instant playoff team next year.

Some NY/NJ papers are already speculating that Favors will never play a game for The Nets.

The Russian dude doesn't want to wait 3 or 4 years to rebuild - he wants a competitive team immediately and Favors is his most tradeable asset right now other than Lopez who is probably their only untouchable player.

Good arguements both ways. I would expect NJ to be after Lebron. Either DWade or Joe Johnson would fill out their lineup. However, my thinking is DWade stays in Miami, maybe talking Bosh into joining him... Boozer in my book is a 2nd tier guy. Yeah, with those deep pockets, NJ might still give him a big contract. I don't see then trading away Favors just to sign Boozer though...

How would that trade work out? If I'm thinkin straight, don't we have to have equal amount of salary back to make it work? If so, A Favors for Booz would not work

NJ is under the cap so they can take back whatever they want. But Im guessing they'd trade Favors and another player to help keep as much cap space they can.

Lets all get real though, this is fan speculation, not actual speculation. We wanted Cousins, not Favors. I can guarantee we will not trade for Favors, unless its an extremely favorable deal where we dont have to take on any huge contracts.