What's new

BREAKING NEWS - Minnesota telling other teams they're taking Enes Kanter at #2 over D-Will 2

KOC and Jazz camp are possibly the most quiet team of anybody right now. Not saying a word. It's the smartest thing to do too. David Kahn trying to convince people at the last minute he's going to take Kanter is hilarious.

They can call them regardless. If they get their pick, they can pick ANYONE but Irving. Your theory makes no sense.

Yeah it does. The 2 pick is greater then the 3 pick. Teams wanting Kanter would have to give up more for the 2 pick then the 3 pick. Minnesota is trying to tell the teams who want Kanter that they will have to trade with them and not the Jazz if they want Kanter. It's a smart move, but nobody in their right mind would believe Minny passes on D-Will for Kanter.

I personally think the Wolves may be doing it just to bait the Jazz, if it's true that the Jazz have settled on Kanter at #3.

I personally think the Wolves may be doing it just to bait the Jazz, if it's true that the Jazz have settled on Kanter at #3.

Why? I think the Jazz would take D-Will over Kanter in a heartbeat. The Wolves have no leverage over us. They take D-Will we take Kanter. They take Kanter, we take D-Will. Or maybe we've been set on Knight all along anyway.

If I was the Minn GM, I would take Kanter over Derrick Williams. Why? because I already have Wes Johnson, Beasley and Anthony Randolph who are all young and talented. They all have the same potential as Derrick Williams so why draft him? I'd take Kanter and maybe trade him for a proven veteran big man and a pick. If no one wants to trade then I'd stick with Kanter as my center which is Minny's biggest need.

The T'wolves want to bait other teams who are interested in Kanter that those teams need to deal with them instead of the Jazz. It could give them a couple more trade offers to look at. But yeah, I don't think it makes much difference. Lots of teams want the #2 pick regardless.

It doesn't make any sense. The offers they got for Derrick Williams would be better than anything offered for Kanter.

Why? I think the Jazz would take D-Will over Kanter in a heartbeat. The Wolves have no leverage over us. They take D-Will we take Kanter. They take Kanter, we take D-Will. Or maybe we've been set on Knight all along anyway.

David Kahn probably isn't thinking clearly. I'm not saying what they're doing makes much sense. Sure, the Jazz are happy to take DWill2.

Remember last year when a few days before the draft it was leaked that the Nets were going to take Wesley Johnson instead of Favors? I'd be estatic if the Jazz wind up with Williams, but 36 hrs before the draft I'm not putting too much stock into that report.

Getting tired of utahjazz107 threads. Rrrreeeallll tired.
For the past 2 weeks 75% of all new threads have been redundant - at this point I'm used to it.

It makes so much sense for Minny to draft Kanter, but I have a queasy feeling that the Jazz blow it and skip Williams. I still my fingers crossed for the cavs to take kanter and knight, so we get irving.

Yeah it does. The 2 pick is greater then the 3 pick. Teams wanting Kanter would have to give up more for the 2 pick then the 3 pick. Minnesota is trying to tell the teams who want Kanter that they will have to trade with them and not the Jazz if they want Kanter. It's a smart move, but nobody in their right mind would believe Minny passes on D-Will for Kanter.

Kanter is still Kanter, whether he is picked at #3 or #2. If teams want to part with x amount of assets for Kanter, they will give these same assets whether he is #3 or #2. Their objective is to get Kanter. To them Kanter is worth x. They will give x for whatever pick Kanter is going in or any pick before that, since they will get Kanter with that pick. For instance, let's say you are Bulls and really want Knight and are willing to part with Boozer for him. You have no pick in this draft. You offered Boozer to Utah for #3. Now, let's suppose Knight slipped passed us to Toronto. Wouldn't you still offer Booz to Toronot then? It would be completely idiotic of you to say you will offer less, if you are willing to part with Booz and they guy you want is there to be had. In other words, why do you care, if it is #2 or #3, if the underlying asset is the same? The cost you are willing to give for the underlying asset is what matters here. I just don't think Wolves smokescreen makes any sense.

Kanter is still Kanter, whether he is picked at #3 or #2. If teams want to part with x amount of assets for Kanter, they will give these same assets whether he is #3 or #2. Their objective is to get Kanter. To them Kanter is worth x. They will give x for whatever pick Kanter is going in or any pick before that, since they will get Kanter with that pick. For instance, let's say you are Bulls and really want Knight and are willing to part with Boozer for him. You have no pick in this draft. You offered Boozer to Utah for #3. Now, let's suppose Knight slipped passed us to Toronto. Wouldn't you still offer Booz to Toronot then? It would be completely idiotic of you to say you will offer less, if you are willing to part with Booz and they guy you want is there to be had. In other words, why do you care, if it is #2 or #3, if the underlying asset is the same? The cost you are willing to give for the underlying asset is what matters here. I just don't think Wolves smokescreen makes any sense.

Dude, this is Bidding War 101 stuff. Number One Rule in Bidding Wars is get as many bidders as you can. The teams that want Williams were formerly only bidding against themselves for the 2. Now Kahn is letting those teams know that teams bidding for Kanter will officially be entering the sweepstakes. It's a transparent ploy, but the seed of doubt is real. He's hoping to increase anxiety, and thereby cause somebody to finally flinch on a deal for the 2 he likes no matter what player they want.

Jonathan Givony: A wise GM says: "The fact that Minnesota is pushing this Kanter at 2 stuff so hard tells me that it has absolutely no chance of happening."

Kahn being Kahn methinks.

With that said, Givony changes his mock draft to show Kanter at #2. I think Kanter at #2 might be real. I can't believe such good fortune (us getting Dwill 2), until i see it, but I don't think there is any point for the Wolves to set up any smokescreens.