What's new

Brittney Griner is gay

Negative reputation comment: It was funny. Lighten up.

No, it's not funny. Somewhere around 20% of women get sexually assaulted or raped, most of them are by men they know. Every time you joke about rape, you treat their pain as not worth considering.

I never read jokes in here about drugging children to have sex with them. Why should it be any funnier to drug women (or men for that matter)?

For the record, I'm the one that neg'd Brow. It is the only neg I have given out in over a year. I take full credit and stand by my comment.

For the record, I'm the one that neg'd Brow. It is the only neg I have given out in over a year. I take full credit and stand by my comment.

well, just as long as you're not laughing about it...

by the way, I'd never heard the term "roofie" before - - I was thinking it was somehow the opposite of a wedgie, but I was having difficulty figuring out exactly what that might be. Shows what I know.

No, it's not funny. Somewhere around 20% of women get sexually assaulted or raped, most of them are by men they know. Every time you joke about rape, you treat their pain as not worth considering.
You must have hated George Carlin.

well, just as long as you're not laughing about it...

by the way, I'd never heard the term "roofie" before - - I was thinking it was somehow the opposite of a wedgie, but I was having difficulty figuring out exactly what that might be. Shows what I know.

Yeah, it would make more sense if they were called floories.

You must have hated George Carlin.

I don't recall any of Carlin's specific bits making fun of rape victims or making light of raping people, but I'm sure I would object to hearing them now. Carlin said a lot of important things, but everyone who say important things also says stupid things.

However, hating people is counterproductive, and doubly so after they have passed.

And in this case where Stoked doesn't have to plan his summer around pursuing Griner while she is in town playing in the Vegas summer league anymore..... Stoked saves the gas money, the hotel expenses, the entertainment, the time spent, and the ultimate rejection on account of her being a lesbian. We're talking $1000 + saved for this one. Stoked should be happy, not overly upset like he seems to be over this news.

Wait? I was upset? I thought I was planning.

Some people appreciate this type of irreverent humor, and some people don't. The best example I can think of is Sasha Baron-Cohen. About a year ago my mother and I were talking about the film "Borat". My mother couldn't comprehend how our country could allow a film to be distributed that is so blatantly racist against Jewish people and disrespectful to women. When I told her that Baron-Cohen is both Jewish and married with two children, she refused to believe me.

Baron-Cohen also pokes "fun" at rape in the film:

"Driving Instructor: In America, a woman can choose who she has sex with.
Borat: Whaaaaat?"

"This is Orkin, the town rapist! Naughty, naughty!"

When someone is trying to be funny, it's important to consider context before passing judgment. Baron-Cohen isn't racist or sexist, he's trying to expose prejudice in others. The context in MoTown's "joke" seemed obvious to me, an inside joke about someone else not being able to get a girl into bed.

When someone is trying to be funny, it's important to consider context before passing judgment. Baron-Cohen isn't racist or sexist, he's trying to expose prejudice in others. The context in MoTown's "joke" seemed obvious to me, an inside joke about someone else not being able to get a girl into bed.

I haven't seen Borat in a few years, so I'll withhold comment there.

A joke about not being able to get someone in bed ends with the person not getting someone into bed (such as "Dinner plus alcohol plus the cost of the medicated lotion for your hand, it adds up"). The need to rape is an unneeded addition that diminishes rape.

A joke about not being able to get someone in bed ends with the person not getting someone into bed (such as "Dinner plus alcohol plus the cost of the medicated lotion for your hand, it adds up"). The need to rape is an unneeded addition that diminishes rape.

No one should diminish the greatness that is rape. No one.

I'm not sure if the roofie part was needed or not. Maybe using a roofie on someone seems more outlandish and absurd than masturbating. I would imagine that more people are familiar with the second experience vs. the first, thus making the first a little more ridiculous and possibly funnier.

I'm not sure how exactly the joke diminishes rape. Did it diminish rape in your mind? How can you assume that it diminished rape in the minds of others? Perhaps the absurd nature of the joke reminded many of how abhorrent the crime actually is.

I would imagine that more people are familiar with the second experience vs. the first, thus making the first a little more ridiculous and possibly funnier.

Would it have been more ridiculous, and therefore funnier, is the other person in the date were aged 10? Or, is it funny to drug an adult for the purposes or rape, but not a child? Is it that raping the child is so much less outlandish and absurd than raping an adult, so it's not as funny?

Associating anything particular thing as the object of a joke diminishes the threat/horror associated with that thing; from what I can tell, it one of the main reasons we have a sense of humor. While no one joke turns opinions 180 degrees, the cumulative effect over time is significant.

The social function of a comedian is to invest any conceivable nook with laughter.
+
A good joke and a bad joke come from the same birth.

Therefore,
you can hate a joke after the fact (if you want), but you can't hate comedy, and you have to live with its unbridled potential.

That above sentence applies to me and I'm not pretending fake offense.

How sure are you the sentence applies to you, really, when under-reporting is such a huge issue?

Offense is not relevant to my point.