What's new

Building around Donovan or Gobert

Stop being so logical.

It's cool when NBA stars and personalities constantly mock Rudy. It's great for our street cred. Makes Rudy work that much harder in the offseason to get to that one spot on the floor where he needs the ball perfectly delivered. So when he doesn't get it, it's everybody else's fault.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
The more I'm on here I realize how one minded and biased some of our members are. Rudy is flawed but they will never admit it. He is flawless in their eyes. He has no weaknesses and us critics are wrong, the rest of the NBA players are wrong. Former NBA legends are wrong and the rest of the NBA fans are wrong about him. He clearly is the best player that ever played the game. His Twitter antics and rebuttals are unfortunately exposing him in a negative way. I look forward to the day he is gone where we can spend his money on more effective pieces. Yes he is the 3 time dpoy but in all his years could not develop a jump shot or any offense. It's not his fault he is being payed so much but dang work on some offense in the summer, boxing doesn't help your o in the paint. The Mitchell era will be a bright one with diversity and for some of those who called them hip hoppers, we will have some on our rosters, ones that bring it on both ends. The reality is Gobert never had offense and that killed us.

I wish him well but I think Ainge, Smith and Wade see him for what he is and definitely will trade him.

Stop being so logical.

It's cool when NBA stars and personalities constantly mock Rudy. It's great for our street cred. Makes Rudy work that much harder in the offseason to get to that one spot on the floor where he needs the ball perfectly delivered. So when he doesn't get it, it's everybody else's fault.

Amen.

If Quin is still the coach next year Royce will continue to start/close and play 30+ minutes every single night. I really hope the front office moves him.

It sucks to have such little trust in a coach. I loved the NAW and Juancho trade but Snyder had his ego always get in the way. He refuses to mess with rotations unless forced by injury and has no interest in player development anymore. I truly believe we have 4 solid rotation guys in NAW, Paschall, Butler and Juancho that can help this basketball team but I have zero trust in Snyder to actually give them a shot. In the end if he comes back you pretty much have to force his hand by removing Royce, Forrest, Whiteside and Conley from the equation

Sure talent is there, and it's arguably a good amount of oit. As an ideal situation, I really do want to win with them.
But I'd not go as far as to say they're not part of the problem. They've got issues, some of them quite big ones.

Anyway, brass missed the shots around. Be them obvious errs (Udoka... Jared?) or less ovious ones (Mike, Gay... yes I know some fellow posters didn't like the moves from the start...) or just the wrong thing to do (trade Joe?, putting an exogenous legend part owner to breath over the neck of your coaching staff?)... fact is Quin ended up trying to manage lots of flaws... lol we mostly ended up asking loudly for Danuel or Juancho, some around even remembered what a nice D boost would Trent be if available.... I like these guys, but that should probaby tell us something....

Mistakes piled up, Don and Rudy ended up sharing the faith of some of their teammates: carrying just too much for themselves, a step too much away from their own selves.

The train for this mix hass passed away, the longer they wait the lower they'll sell.

Now, tell me Rudy gets a couple own O shots and Jazz will let Don be the scorer he is and not a PG... then I can think all it over and come with a different set of principles! ;)

Oh, they definitely shoulder a lot of the blame and their personal grievances are getting in the way of their success. I'm just saying that the FO didn't do well enough to build around them. The Jazz entered a 3 year golden window of opportunity when Mitchell was still on his rookie deal, Gobert was on his second contract, and they still had all their picks and some valuable assets. The FO and Quin failed them by putting together this ill fit roster and hardly deviating from it at all. If they were just average and not horrible they probably would have made the finals once in these past 3 years. Hell, they did pretty horribly and you could argue that they still should have made the finals last year despite their flaws.

When I look back at this window, I don't think Don and Rudy were perfect and they didn't always play to their individual potential, but the reason why we weren't able to get to the finals was because of the pieces we surrounded them with. Quin and the FO failed them and let to what is a premature ending to this duo IMO. Things would be a lot different if they tried to improve rather than sitting on their hands.

Stop being so logical.

Making the Utah Jazz have street cred and "cool' is definitely logical.

Utah was way better off when they where marketing themselves as a great place for players with families and young players who want to work hard to get better through our development team.

I’m still trying to figure out where all the assets that will be needed to acquire these wings are coming from? Last I checked the war chest is pretty bare. I think they should do a full year down.
We don’t have the assets to upgrade around Rudy and Don. A maneuver around one or the other puts us into a 2 year window based on Rudy’s age and Mitchell’s lack of desire to be in Utah. The conference is too good at the moment to trade a star and get back less in return yet still excel past the competition. The only move that makes sense is a full rebuild while both stars are at their most value and the role players we have still hold what little value they do.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Do not bring them both back that would be a compromise changing the supporting cast around those two is just a water down retooling.
It will only result in disappointments again!
IMHO I think the best possible thing would be to retool around both of them. Unfortunately we have squandered way too many assets over the last several years paying way too much for inadequate or completely wrong players. This leaves us with poor choices. Trade 1 or the other of our best players and try not to drop off too much for now, or move them both along with others a try to start over.

I’m still trying to figure out where all the assets that will be needed to acquire these wings are coming from? Last I checked the war chest is pretty bare. I think they should do a full year down.
We don’t have the assets to upgrade around Rudy and Don. A maneuver around one or the other puts us into a 2 year window based on Rudy’s age and Mitchell’s lack of desire to be in Utah. The conference is too good at the moment to trade a star and get back less in return yet still excel past the competition. The only move that makes sense is a full rebuild while both stars are at their most value and the role players we have still hold what little value they do.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Memphis has them

Oh, they definitely shoulder a lot of the blame and their personal grievances are getting in the way of their success. I'm just saying that the FO didn't do well enough to build around them. The Jazz entered a 3 year golden window of opportunity when Mitchell was still on his rookie deal, Gobert was on his second contract, and they still had all their picks and some valuable assets. The FO and Quin failed them by putting together this ill fit roster and hardly deviating from it at all. If they were just average and not horrible they probably would have made the finals once in these past 3 years. Hell, they did pretty horribly and you could argue that they still should have made the finals last year despite their flaws.

When I look back at this window, I don't think Don and Rudy were perfect and they didn't always play to their individual potential, but the reason why we weren't able to get to the finals was because of the pieces we surrounded them with. Quin and the FO failed them and let to what is a premature ending to this duo IMO. Things would be a lot different if they tried to improve rather than sitting on their hands.
Bingo

Three yars ago the defense wasn’t terrible around Gobert. Not good, but damn!!
Lol. That's not what I said at all.

Against Houston (who we lost to twice), we lacked athleticism, shooting and stretch bigs.

We never added athleticism or stretch bigs the last 3 years. On top of that, we traded key 3&D Jae and promising Grayson to get smaller and less athletic. And we didn't draft anybody to address our need areas.

Miscellaneous list of G/F that have a Defensive FG% Diff of -2.0 or better and a 3pt fg% of 35% or more:

PJ Tucker, Precious Achuiwa, Taj Gibson, Bruce Brown, Bobby Portis, Caleb Martin, Reggie Jackson, Immanuel Quickley, Desmond Bane, Deandre Bembry, Eric Gordon

Miscellaneous list of G/F that have a Defensive FG% Diff of -2.0 or better and a 3pt fg% of 35% or more:

PJ Tucker, Precious Achuiwa, Taj Gibson, Bruce Brown, Bobby Portis, Caleb Martin, Reggie Jackson, Immanuel Quickley, Desmond Bane, Deandre Bembry, Eric Gordon

I love Bruce Brown. Adding him would be an immense help.

I agree with your assessment overall, but I will add that the front office got it right trading Exum and a second RP for Clarkson.

Jazz would have:

Caruso/Butler/Forrest/Smith
Herro/Royce
KCP/
Bogey/Kuzma/Gay
Gobert

Jazz would have to address backup center. Work to add another wing (would probably have to play Kuzma at the 3 more than ideal).

I dont know. Would kind of be a rough team as far as shot creation goes. Ideally Butler takes some kind of massive step as a shot creator. Maybe the Jazz can hit a homerun at the 30th pick and get some sort of immediate contributor (Christian Braun/EJ Liddell/Wendell Moore/Jabari Walker).

I’m convinced you’ve gone 100% troll now. That team is ****ing awful.