What's new

Bump stock ban

I think it’s a very minor accomplishment. the ones sold won’t be turned it and the supporters of such devices will find another way.

Watch video of the Vegas shooting and you'll know it's a good thing .

Although it bears mentioning even the NRA supported this ban.

Meaningless. Bump stocks just make doing a job that you can do with your shoulder and a quick finger a bit easier.

Meaningless. Bump stocks just make doing a job that you can do with your shoulder and a quick finger a bit easier.
So it does in fact have some meaning as you yourself say it makes something easier.

Like I could eat a steak with a spoon and butter knife but a fork and steak knife has meaning cause it makes eating my steak easier.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

So it does in fact have some meaning as you yourself say it makes something easier.

Like I could eat a steak with a spoon and butter knife but a fork and steak knife has meaning cause it makes eating my steak easier.

Ehh, kinda I guess.

Spoon for steak is certainly more difficult than bump-firing. More like butter knife vs slightly duller butter knife.

While I own a gun, I'm not a huge gun guy. IDGAF what they want to do with bump stocks, but banning them really doesn't do anything. First, people could easily get one illegally, but that would be irrelevant because they can achieve the same exact thing without owning a bump stock. Banning these is merely symbolic. I get more frustrated with stuff like this because I deal with similar issues (not having anything to do with guns) professionally too often. There's this undying need to fix things that we humans possess, which isn't a bad thing. The problem is that we often try to engage in interventions that do little more than treat our own anxiety about something irrespective as to whether or not it even works. But as long as our anxiety about something is kept in check by our superficial interventions, we feel better.

I've never used a bump stock, but from what it looks like to me it can help you fire quickly, but seems like it would have a negative effect on accuracy. Possibly a largely negative effect.

While I own a gun, I'm not a huge gun guy. IDGAF what they want to do with bump stocks, but banning them really doesn't do anything. First, people could easily get one illegally, but that would be irrelevant because they can achieve the same exact thing without owning a bump stock. Banning these is merely symbolic. I get more frustrated with stuff like this because I deal with similar issues (not having anything to do with guns) professionally too often. There's this undying need to fix things that we humans possess, which isn't a bad thing. The problem is that we often try to engage in interventions that do little more than treat our own anxiety about something irrespective as to whether or not it even works. But as long as our anxiety about something is kept in check by our superficial interventions, we feel better.
Sometimes symbolism has meaning though.

Feeling better and eliminating anxiety can have meaning as well.

I've never used a bump stock, but from what it looks like to me it can help you fire quickly, but seems like it would have a negative effect on accuracy. Possibly a largely negative effect.
Depends on whether or not accuracy matters more than rate of fire in the particular situation.

If you are firing into a crowd from far away and just want to hit lots of people then rate of fire might be more important to you than accuracy. (Like the Vegas shooting)

Great post.

Depends on whether or not accuracy matters more than rate of fire in the particular situation.

If you are firing into a crowd from far away and just want to hit lots of people then rate of fire might be more important to you than accuracy. (Like the Vegas shooting)

In that one extremely specific and rare instance rate of fire might matter more.

My philosophy has always been shot selection and shot placement matter more than anything else. Cliber, magazine size, whatever. Accurate shots to critical areas is more important than anything else.

In that one extremely specific and rare instance rate of fire might matter more.

My philosophy has always been shot selection and shot placement matter more than anything else. Cliber, magazine size, whatever. Accurate shots to critical areas is more important than anything else.
It definitely mattered to that shooter in that instance

The main 'problem' with bump firing is that those semi-auto weapons aren't really designed to be fired like that, so you'll get quite a few jams.