What's new

Burke, Neto or Wright?

Who would you prefer to see backing up Exum next year?

• Trey Burke

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Raul Neto

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Delon Wright

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Ugh .. none of these

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to see what Neto can do, but 1) I agree with the comments about replacing a vet with a rookie at this point in the team's trajectory, and 2) I don't see him ever playing in the NBA to begin with.

I still voted Neto

Call me crazy but I don't think adding a complete non shooter at PG is the solution to our spacing problems. **** no to Neto.

Call me crazy but I don't think adding a complete non shooter at PG is the solution to our spacing problems. **** no to Neto.

jimmer_red_uni_777x341.jpg

Based on what? Their college stats? Burke was better than both those dudes in college at a younger age. They may be better than Burke eventually, but we have better uses for our lottery pick. If we actually sign Tomic and keep Booker, that leaves us about 5 or 6 million per to snag a journeyman point who is willing to play second fiddle. Draft another shooter to immediately stick in the D-League for seasoning, drop Evans, Cark, et al. and we are set.

Based on the fact that we have seen Trey doesn't have the physical tools compete or the level of skilled needed to overcome his physical limitations. Wright has far superior physical tools. His talent may translate better in the NBA.

As for Neto, his skill level in the summer league games we saw was enough to overcome his physical limitations at that level. We need to see him at the next level.

Based on what? Their college stats? Burke was better than both those dudes in college at a younger age. They may be better than Burke eventually, but we have better uses for our lottery pick. If we actually sign Tomic and keep Booker, that leaves us about 5 or 6 million per to snag a journeyman point who is willing to play second fiddle. Draft another shooter to immediately stick in the D-League for seasoning, drop Evans, Cark, et al. and we are set.
Based on what I have seen from Trey playing on this team in this system. Pretty much I don't think either of the other's can be as bad as Trey has been. Defensively they are both likely to be far superior the day they walk on the court. Offensively at the very least neither of them have shown to be anywhere near the ball hog that Trey is.

Based on what I have seen from Trey playing on this team in this system. Pretty much I don't think either of the other's can be as bad as Trey has been. Defensively they are both likely to be far superior the day they walk on the court. Offensively at the very least neither of them have shown to be anywhere near the ball hog that Trey is.

Look, odds are that neither player will be as good a pro as Trey Burke. Both are solid second round talents. If we are looking for talent that shines in the Summer League we can sign that guy that used to tear up the summer league, Ian Clark or something. . .

Look, odds are that neither player will be as good a pro as Trey Burke. Both are solid second round talents. If we are looking for talent that shines in the Summer League we can sign that guy that used to tear up the summer league, Ian Clark or something. . .
I disagree with your odds. Trey may end up being a good pro. But he does not work in this system and is a weak link on our team. I'm down on Neto, I don't really think he belongs on this team. But I don't think Trey does either. And frankly Trey had his chance and continues to shoot too much, Pass to little and not play defense. I'm not sure that either Wright or Neto are the answer but I can say I have more faith in something that has not shown to be a failure. Than in something that has shown to be more often than not.

I disagree with your odds. Trey may end up being a good pro. But he does not work in this system and is a weak link on our team. I'm down on Neto, I don't really think he belongs on this team. But I don't think Trey does either. And frankly Trey had his chance and continues to shoot too much, Pass to little and not play defense. I'm not sure that either Wright or Neto are the answer but I can say I have more faith in something that has not shown to be a failure. Than in something that has shown to be more often than not.

Then we aren't too far apart. I think we need to secure a vet and open up the backup competition with Trey Burke, unless he is needed as a trade asset. By the end on the season next year, Exum should be playing big minutes, and either the new vet or a forcefully improved Burke will play the backup minutes with the third guy playing the Ian Clarke role. That is upgrade all the way around. . .

Bring in neto if he's our 3rd point guard. I'd like to upgrade over trey and think there are good options in both free agency and trade. Worst case we keep trey... He has a good game once every 5 games or so. When we get good games out of him we usually win. He just needs to make the 1 for 10 games into either 1 for 6 games or 3 for 10 games.

Bring in neto if he's our 3rd point guard. I'd like to upgrade over trey and think there are good options in both free agency and trade. Worst case we keep trey... He has a good game once every 5 games or so. When we get good games out of him we usually win. He just needs to make the 1 for 10 games into either 1 for 6 games or 3 for 10 games.

Worst case is NOT Trey. Don't you remember 1 and 14 last year before Trey came back from injury, and how, after that, we actually started to play basketball? It wasn't the best basketball, but it was at least recognizable as the same sport. We can, and have, done worse than Trey Burke. I just want to be sure that if we get someone else he is verifiably better.

Worst case is NOT Trey. Don't you remember 1 and 14 last year before Trey came back from injury, and how, after that, we actually started to play basketball? It wasn't the best basketball, but it was at least recognizable as the same sport. We can, and have, done worse than Trey Burke. I just want to be sure that if we get someone else he is verifiably better.
It was a completely different system. Corbin put the ball in the hands of his PG and expected them to make a play. Difficult when your PG is JLIII and whoever the other scrubs we had were (I think my subconscious erased their names from my memory because I'm coming up with a complete blank). This system requires passing and defense. Trey is not good at either of those things.
I really think you are underestimating the difference having a player fit into the system makes. Like with Kanter decent player but did not fit our system. Burke to me is the same kind of deal.

tbh it does seem kinda crazy to look soley at the backup PG spot for 'the solution' to team-wide spacing problems.

I think Delon might still be there when we pick. Delon is not a selfish *******, and could make this team better all around. We don't need our PG to put up 20 a night, but we need him to be aggressive, play defense and pass the ball. I didn't think we needed him when said thread was made but now I think he would be a good fit.

I think Delon might still be there when we pick. Delon is not a selfish *******, and could make this team better all around. We don't need our PG to put up 20 a night, but we need him to be aggressive, play defense and pass the ball. I didn't think we needed him when said thread was made but now I think he would be a good fit.

Jazz aren't going to get a backup PG at 12 in the draft. Delon will be a good backup in the NBA, but I don't think he'll be much more than that because of shooting. Dunn and Grant have much higher upside imo, and are possibilities at 12.