What's new

Burks for Fultz?

I think Philly wants more (if they are even willing to trade Fultz), but I'm not sold he is what we lack. Is he an upgrade over Exum? Over Grayson? Seems like we would have a few too many projects for a team wanting to be relevant now.

Burks would seem to be a great addition for Philly because he is an expiring scorer. There are reports today that Philly is interested in Caldwell-Pope. Burks would seem to be that same type player.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Kid was picked number 1 for a reason. If he hits, he just is an upgrade. If he doesn’t, you’re out a guy that’s likely to walk. I don’t see the downside for the Jazz in the long term, besides long term salary, I suppose.

Speaking of Korkmaz... they declined his option to open up an insignificant amount of space. He had not had a chance to play really at all and is 21. Had a promising summer league... I watch the half he put up like 20 pts live and it was super fun. He then gets in the rotation and has scored 12 and 16 pts in two straight games on good shooting splits. I'm sure they canvassed the league to assess his trade value... I think they may have given up too quick and other teams may have missed on a decent prospect here.

Now the most they can offer or any other team can offer is the $2M if they acquire him... next year will be unrestricted free agent and likely make twice that. While DL is a slow to move on sometimes I am grateful he doesn't make these types of moves. Even if they waited they could have moved his small salary. Rookie GM move.

Kid was picked number 1 for a reason. If he hits, he just is an upgrade. If he doesn’t, you’re out a guy that’s likely to walk. I don’t see the downside for the Jazz in the long term, besides long term salary, I suppose.
If it was Exum for Fultz, then that's closer because the salaries basically offset (Utah actually saves a little).

If it's for Burks, Utah suddenly because the team with the 3 worst shooters at the guard position in the NBA and they all would need minutes. Acting like he has potential because he was picked 1 is the same as people having too high of hopes in Exum because he was picked 5th. Stuff has been revealed, we have more information, he just isnt that good.

For someone who was really rough on Hood for having occasionally weird bowels due to nerves, then Fultz should turn you off 100x more.

That came to my mind... I think when the brain goes it is just harder to figure out. I had a friend that had a mental break down when he was 20... he’s functional and happy but he’s never been the same.

It is really unfortunate but they might do well to cut their losses or just move the guy to the G League for playing time.

As a Braves fan I remember Mark Wohlers, who was for a few years one of the best closers in the game, he too got the yips, and couldn’t throw strikes like at all. It was sad to see because he was really good for a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did make one error, I accepted Korkmaz by mistake.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=554319415bec614dd8598108049706

If they decline his option they can get to 29,861,000

The max for an unrestricted free agent with 0-6 years of experience will be $27.25 million. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html

They might also think they can convince somebody like Tobias Harris (who has 7+ years experience) to come to Philly at a slight discount ($29.8 million instead of $32.7 million).

Yeah, so they can come close to max space. They can max out a RFA, but their is no one worth that who they can realistically get.

Jimmy was really their "shoot your shot FA move" imo. I think they saw the writing on the wall with Middleton and other additions that would be good. I don't think Philly is big FA addition... I don't think BS is charismatic enough to recruit anyone and Embiid strikes me as a guy that could but his attitude isn't something everyone would want to be around every day... He's Extra. It's fun from far away but dealing with it everyday would wear on you... I think.

This FA class is going to be a dud imo. I think KD might move but most will stay put. Another sub plot is Sacramento has max space, so anyone that is in "max" territory can use the Sacramento Leverages to get their money. It might be good business for us to take someone into our space if the price is right... Gallo, Porter etc. Harris, Niko, Middleton, Kemba, all get maxed and it will just depend on their team preference... market, role, team competitiveness will factor in.

Jimmy was really their "shoot your shot FA move" imo. I think they saw the writing on the wall with Middleton and other additions that would be good. I don't think Philly is big FA addition... I don't think BS is charismatic enough to recruit anyone and Embiid strikes me as a guy that could but his attitude isn't something everyone would want to be around every day... He's Extra. It's fun from far away but dealing with it everyday would wear on you... I think.

This FA class is going to be a dud imo. I think KD might move but most will stay put. Another sub plot is Sacramento has max space, so anyone that is in "max" territory can use the Sacramento Leverages to get their money. It might be good business for us to take someone into our space if the price is right... Gallo, Porter etc. Harris, Niko, Middleton, Kemba, all get maxed and it will just depend on their team preference... market, role, team competitiveness will factor in.
They are in a great spot. They don't need a max guy. Just re-sign Redick for a good deal and pickup another high quality guard who can shoot.

All Fultz needs is an offseason of living with Ingles in the Australian bush. If he can handle that, he'll be as good as new. Or dead. Yeah, probably dead.

I'm imagining a karate kid, Rocky style training music montage with Headband Joe in the Outback... there are kangaroos, aborigines, dingos and a lot of Joe shirtless. All while "I come from a land down under" plays.

I have changed my mind I am in for the Fultz deal... but only if he agrees to the Joe offseason training.

If it was Exum for Fultz, then that's closer because the salaries basically offset (Utah actually saves a little).

If it's for Burks, Utah suddenly because the team with the 3 worst shooters at the guard position in the NBA and they all would need minutes. Acting like he has potential because he was picked 1 is the same as people having too high of hopes in Exum because he was picked 5th. Stuff has been revealed, we have more information, he just isnt that good.
I thought about the Exum comparison, but Exum was a mystery given his frankly poor competition and erratic playing schedule, in addition to that he was picked fifth not first (that is actually a pretty huge difference), and that Exum is a fifth year player, not a second-year player (a chasm of difference).

Their issues are not similar either. Nor is their upside.

Fultz could be broken upstairs, but he knows how to play basketball somewhere in there. I’m still not convinced that Exum is good at basketball. He gets a parade from everyone here for making simple reads and shooting 33% on wide open 3s. AND THAT is how they would be most comparable.

They are in a great spot. They don't need a max guy. Just re-sign Redick for a good deal and pickup another high quality guard who can shoot.

they also have picks to fill in the other spots... and some promising young dudes. If they could get Middleton that'd be better, but basically they need some solid role players... like maybe Covington and Saric in Minny. I kid I kid. Saric was always a bit of a clunky fit there.

I thought about the Exum comparison, but Exum was a mystery given his frankly poor competition and erratic playing schedule, in addition to that he was picked fifth not first (that is actually a pretty huge difference), and that Exum is a fifth year player, not a second-year player (a chasm of difference).

Fultz could be broken upstairs, but he knows how to play basketball somewhere in there. I’m still not convinced that Exum is good at basketball. He gets a parade from everyone here for making simple reads and shooting 33% on wide open 3s.

The floor is what concerns me... Fultz could be a big negative where Exum is a solid bench guard imo. I think there is room for more, but I think at very least he's useful and doesn't need to start or have all the special attention. I think I could fix Exum's shot before I could fix Fultz brain.

I don't think either team would be on board. They should move him to Cleveland for Korver... seems like a solid move for both teams and gives Fultz a place to develop in obscurity. Although Cleveland ownership is rough... Fultz needs a do over. I hate Philly but I'm sad about where his career is headed. He was so good and fun in college... so much promise.

I agree about free agency; most importantly, I think free agency will be a dud for us. I just don't see us getting Tobias, Kemba, or Mirotic which really are the 3 most realistic "good" targets. We are going to be left with guys like Randle and maybe Rozier. I like those two, but overall, they are more dud than wow for sure.

I agree 100% that we would be smart to take someone into our space is the price is right. We have $20 million in expirings (Burks, Thabo and Udoh) we should be using if the right deal can be found.

Fultz could be broken upstairs, but he knows how to play basketball somewhere in there. I’m still not convinced that Exum is good at basketball. He gets a parade from everyone here for making simple reads and shooting 33% on wide open 3s. AND THAT is how they would be most comparable.
You don't think their issues are similar?

They both have wonky shooting forms. I guess you can attribute Fultz's to mental issues, but those mental issues are becoming muscle memory in the same way Exum's funky spread legged shooting form is muscle memory. He spent an entire off-season working out with the most well regarded free agent shooting coach and he didnt seem to make any progress. They even split ways from each other a few weeks ago.

You don't think their issues are similar?

They both have wonky shooting forms. I guess you can attribute Fultz's to mental issues, but those mental issues are becoming muscle memory in the same way Exum's funky spread legged shooting form is muscle memory. He spent an entire off-season working out with the most well regarded free agent shooting coach and he didnt seem to make any progress. They even split ways from each other a few weeks ago.

Because they were addressing the wrong issues... I mean maybe the repition of good habits would help confidence and something would click.

Dude needs some help... I hope it’s all just basketball related and hasn’t bled into his personal life.

Because they were addressing the wrong issues... I mean maybe the repition of good habits would help confidence and something would click.

Dude needs some help... I hope it’s all just basketball related and hasn’t bled into his personal life.
I'm sure the guy he is getting help. He tweeted about it in the off-season.

I have been in favor of a trade for Fultz, but the following chain of thoughts changed my mind.

If we assume that somehow the Jazz had a single dose of a magic potion that would improve the mental part of any player, would they really want to use it on Fultz? When I looked at it from that perspective, I don't think Fultz is the one I would trade for as there are other players available who have more talent/ability. The 'headcase' player I would consider using that potion on is Andrew Wiggins because I believe he is young and is more talented than nearly anyone else in the league. Switching to reality, I also would rather take this kind of risk with Wiggins because it is much more likely for Wiggins to turn a corner mentally than for Fultz. Also, the floor for Wiggins is also much higher and wings seem to be more valuable/hard to find/what we most need going forward.

I am not saying the Jazz should necessarily trade for Wiggins, but I would rather take a flyer on him than on Fultz (especially because I don't think the Jazz can land a max player next year).

I'm sure the guy he is getting help. He tweeted about it in the off-season.

Good I’m not clued in on the guy... mental issues just scare me.

I’m still waiting for someone to give me an example of someone who worked through this stuff. I know it’s rare but it’d be nice to have one example. Seems career ending in most cases.