What's new

Buying a home

My new pad:

IMG_2782_zpsxtyzx5jl.jpg

The thing I missed the most when I was homeless:

IMG_2787_zpsrv6kmb1b.jpg

My first project after installing sprinklers and front lawn is going to be building an alcove and in-ground hot tub out of stones I personally procure from southern and southeastern Utah. I've been waiting 10 years to do this project! I might even channel Sliding Rock in Alpine to come off the top of the cave if I don't run out of steam.

Franklin, awesome house!

Also, I want to come hang out in your backyard when it's done! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

JazzFanz party in our future!

I was planning on throwing a poker party before I got my apartment rented, but now I'm concerned about the tenants well being (zoobville). Maybe I will talk with them and see what they think about it. There are plenty of active LDS folks who show up to these games.

frank,

The house looks great. Seriously. We've recently hired an arhcitect and should see some designs within the next week or so. I'm nervous. We have a certain look we want but don't know if it may come off as putting lipstick on a pig. We shall see.

frank,

The house looks great. Seriously. We've recently hired an arhcitect and should see some designs within the next week or so. I'm nervous. We have a certain look we want but don't know if it may come off as putting lipstick on a pig. We shall see.

My advice is to enjoy the ride. Everyone I've talked to thought building a house was torture. It was but I enjoyed every moment of both the ups and the downs. It's one helluva ride and it's fun if you let it be.

Also, pick your budget and then blow it until you cannot stand to go a cent higher. Get everything you want except the things you can realistically bolt on later. Anything structural, get it.

I was nervous about our floor plan too. We had a house we loved but our neighbors built it so they wouldn't let us put it there. We picked a design from floor plans that was similar. I'm horrible at everything like this. I need to see something and copy it. Luckily after 9 months of nervousness I was delightfully surprised. I'm missing a few things like a third car garage where you can see the gravel laid for the 3rd and 4th car parking pad but that's not a big deal. It's mainly an aesthetic feature.

Thanks guys!

I was planning on throwing a poker party before I got my apartment rented, but now I'm concerned about the tenants well being (zoobville). Maybe I will talk with them and see what they think about it. There are plenty of active LDS folks who show up to these games.

I talked with my tenant and he was cool with the idea. I'm somewhat interested in having a family friendly gathering so those who aren't into the poker and drinking scene can come and enjoy. Poker in the basement, everyone else upstairs or out back throwing horseshoes or chatting by the fire.

I'm also getting into imu pits and roasting kalua pork so you can plan on a luau feast. I'm testing it out on my family first -- if it doesn't kill family then it's good for friends.