What's new

Buyout market

I wouldn't look to the next CBA agreement in three years to change anything. There's simply too many large-market teams that will want to continue to take advantage of the situation that won't sign-on to what smaller markets will want to do.
At the very least, each team should only be able to get one buyout player per year. After that, buyout players have to go somewhere else or go through some kind of waiver process. There is no reason why multiple buyout guys (like Griffin and Aldridge) should be able to go to the same team.

Maybe they even do a 2 year process where teams can only get one buyout player every two seasons unless every other team doesn't want that player.

Regardless, the current system is simply not fair. Something should be done.

At the very least, each team should only be able to get one buyout player per year. After that, buyout players have to go somewhere else or go through some kind of waiver process. There is no reason why multiple buyout guys (like Griffin and Aldridge) should be able to go to the same team.

Maybe they even do a 2 year process where teams can only get one buyout player every two seasons unless every other team doesn't want that player.

Let's just call them for what they are: ring-chasers and coattail-riders.

If Nets win it all, it's because Irving/Harden/Durant were all healthy.

He is a better center than LA had last year (Dwight and McGee). Plus, they now have Harrell. The lost Rondo for Shroeder, but overall, the Lakers are better than last year. If they can get healthy..
I think Dwight was better than Drummond will be. He was a good physical presence on defense and I don’t know if Drummond will do that.

They also have Gasol... which is a different look but he’s been pretty bad this year.

I think the loss of Danny Green kinda hurts them but Schroeder brings some creation they needed. I’m not sure they are better and the health thing is starting to look tough to work through. They end up having to go through multiple good teams and they might be in trouble. West is really open and a team that gets healthy and hot could break through.

I think Dwight was better than Drummond will be. He was a good physical presence on defense and I don’t know if Drummond will do that.

They also have Gasol... which is a different look but he’s been pretty bad this year.

I think the loss of Danny Green kinda hurts them but Schroeder brings some creation they needed. I’m not sure they are better and the health thing is starting to look tough to work through. They end up having to go through multiple good teams and they might be in trouble. West is really open and a team that gets healthy and hot could break through.
Look at LA's next 13 games. It's brutal. They might go 3-10 at best. It's crazy, but the Jazz might have to play the Lakers round 1 depending on when LBJ gets back.

That's ridiculous. Players shouldnt have movement rights taken away under any circumstance. By and large most players on the buyout market are pretty washed. Drummond is a very rare circumstance.

If anything, you impose harsher penalties on teams and/or players who are buying out/getting bought out. Make players give up more money to leave a situation and/or make teams pay more to remove a player.

Lakers are anyway going to play Davis a lot at 5 in the playoffs. Especially against Gobert.

That's ridiculous. Players shouldnt have movement rights taken away under any circumstance. By and large most players on the buyout market are pretty washed. Drummond is a very rare circumstance.

If anything, you impose harsher penalties on teams and/or players who are buying out/getting bought out. Make players give up more money to leave a situation and/or make teams pay more to remove a player.
There aren't a lot of good answers to this "problem" but I'm guessing 9 out of 10 solutions would have negative effects that are worse than the "problem".

Look at LA's next 13 games. It's brutal. They might go 3-10 at best. It's crazy, but the Jazz might have to play the Lakers round 1 depending on when LBJ gets back.
It sucks... I'd hope we get the #1 seed and that LA is at least in the 7/8 position. With the way the play in tourney works I think the Lakers would likely land 7th... the league can't have them in a 1 game loser misses the playoffs situation.

I've started rooting for them to win games like they had last night.

It sucks... I'd hope we get the #1 seed and that LA is at least in the 7/8 position. With the way the play in tourney works I think the Lakers would likely land 7th... the league can't have them in a 1 game loser misses the playoffs situation.

It might actually not suck though. What if AD isnt ready by the 1st round? We could actually be catching a big break.

Lakers are anyway going to play Davis a lot at 5 in the playoffs. Especially against Gobert.
AD dont want that pressure tbh, especially coming off injury. They going to play a lot of AD/Drummond, AD/Gasol, AD/Harrell methinks.

Most interesting thing is if Quin responds with a lot of Favors/Gobert or if we roll out the shooters and make them guard in space.

Yeah but man would it be sweet to see the Lakers lose the play-in and be out of the playoffs entirely. That would make my day.

AD dont want that pressure tbh, especially coming off injury. They going to play a lot of AD/Drummond, AD/Gasol, AD/Harrell methinks.

Most interesting thing is if Quin responds with a lot of Favors/Gobert or if we roll out the shooters and make them guard in space.
If Ersan was in any kind of playing shape, I wonder how well he could body Drummond/Gasol.

If Ersan was in any kind of playing shape, I wonder how well he could body Drummond/Gasol.
I think he is here exclusively to teach Niang and others the dark arts of drawing a charge. Niang had one the other night but they called him for the foul... even though Melton also traveled when he released the minivan had locked in on him.

After watching Ersan move I am not sure he can actually still play. He needs to visit KK at the yoga studio.

It sounds like Kelly Olynyk is going to stay out in Houston.

I think Boston gonna get freezed out of the center buyout market. That makes me happy.

I think Spurs made a super low key upgrade flipping LA out and sneaking in Dieng. Memphis wanted to play Clarke and Tillman so I understood why they cut him... but he’s shooting like 50% from three. Solid rim protector... wish he’d have been bought out in the summer and we stole him on a minimum deal.

I keep thinking the same thing. Lakers could easily be round 1 depending on recovery time and for sure round 2. My bet is that the end of this year there is a lot of maneuvering and throwing games to get into position for the playoffs. It will be bubblesque.