What's new

BYU Football 2012

At least the schedule is getting to the point where people wont be able to say "well they played a cupcake schedule and thats the only reason they have 10 wins" anymore.

Starting this season IF byu manages to win 10 games, even the haters will have to admit that byu had a good year.

Utah lost to USC last year.

My bad, i just remember radio personalities all saying that utah got lucky during thier first year because they had an easier path to the conference championship than they normally would due to thier pac 12 schedule

I'm just going off of memory here, so I could be wrong, but I swear I heard on the radio the other day that the PAC 12 currently has more former players in the NFL than any other conference in the country. Haven't looked it up to confirm it, not going to (too lazy) but if true, it can't be that bad of a conference. Granted, it has it doormats and mediocre teams but I think the overall talent a team faces while playing a PAC 12 schedule is about as good as you can ask for.

I'm just going off of memory here, so I could be wrong, but I swear I heard on the radio the other day that the PAC 12 currently has more former players in the NFL than any other conference in the country. Haven't looked it up to confirm it, not going to (too lazy) but if true, it can't be that bad of a conference. Granted, it has it doormats and mediocre teams but I think the overall talent a team faces while playing a PAC 12 schedule is about as good as you can ask for.

The pac 12 is a fine conference, I just put it below the SEC and Big 10 and 12, but the top tier teams are very good, there are only two of them though. Stanford going to fall off a lot, Washington is on the up and up but they are probably 2 years away, pretty much everyone else is below average to terrible though.

I think most people would rank the power conferences...

1) SEC
2) Big Ten
3) Big 12
4) PAC 12
5) ACC

With B10, B12, & PAC12 being interchangeable any given year.

And who cares anyway? There is a set number of games in a conference, you are all going to lose and win some games. Some teams are going to have bad records, some are not. Always. Why should I give a rip if Stanford is a top 10 team based on beating up Duke, San Jose State, and then on a bunch of lower-tier Pac 10 cudgers? I don't. They were a top ten team once they beat SC. And that goes for any conference. You spend your season shifting through the crap, play your 2 or three tough games and la-te-dah you have a bunch of teams with mediocre records at the end of the year. You can't possibly argue that because 2 or 3 out of 12 teams in the conference were good one year that it means jack squat, especially when Utah is not often going to play all of those 2 or 3 teams because they are in seperate divisions.

Signed, the SEC

The pac 12 is a fine conference, I just put it below the SEC and Big 10 and 12, but the top tier teams are very good, there are only two of them though. Stanford going to fall off a lot, Washington is on the up and up but they are probably 2 years away, pretty much everyone else is below average to terrible though.

This is nothing more than a BYU myth. BYU fan desperately NEEDS to show that the PAC-12 isn't very good, then they can believe that Independence is a good thing. The problem with this is, and it usually the problem with most myths via BYU fan, the facts. The facts say otherwise:

"After I read your post I was curious which two conferences were rated higher. I assumed the SEC was one of them, but I didn't think the Big-12 or the B1G have been better over the last decade. To find out, I went to https://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin-ar chive.htm#foot and did the math myself.

Over the last 10 years, the #1 rated conference was the SEC, with an average ranking of #2.4. The PAC was #2, with an average ranking of #2.9. The Big-12 was #3, with an average ranking of #3.3. The ACC was #4, with an average ranking of #3.5. The B1G was #5, with an average ranking of #4.5.

2011 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #7 Big-12 #1
2010 - PAC #1 SEC #2 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #3
2009 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #4 Big-12 #5
2008 - PAC #4 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #3 Big-12 #2
2007 - PAC #2 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #5 Big-12 #3
2006 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #6
2005 - PAC #4 SEC #5 B1G #1 ACC #2 Big-12 #3
2004 - PAC #2 SEC #6 B1G #5 ACC #1 Big-12 #4
2003 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #1 Big-12 #5
2002 - PAC #2 SEC #3 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #1

Ave. - #2.9 - #2.4 -- #4.5 -- #3.5 --- #3.3 "

The numbers say the PAC-12 is #2.

The PAC-12 also had three of the top six ranked teams last year (USC, Stanford, Oregon)

This is nothing more than a BYU myth. BYU fan desperately NEEDS to show that the PAC-12 isn't very good, then they can believe that Independence is a good thing. The problem with this is, and it usually the problem with most myths via BYU fan, the facts. The facts say otherwise:

"After I read your post I was curious which two conferences were rated higher. I assumed the SEC was one of them, but I didn't think the Big-12 or the B1G have been better over the last decade. To find out, I went to https://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin-ar chive.htm#foot and did the math myself.

Over the last 10 years, the #1 rated conference was the SEC, with an average ranking of #2.4. The PAC was #2, with an average ranking of #2.9. The Big-12 was #3, with an average ranking of #3.3. The ACC was #4, with an average ranking of #3.5. The B1G was #5, with an average ranking of #4.5.

2011 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #7 Big-12 #1
2010 - PAC #1 SEC #2 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #3
2009 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #4 Big-12 #5
2008 - PAC #4 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #3 Big-12 #2
2007 - PAC #2 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #5 Big-12 #3
2006 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #6
2005 - PAC #4 SEC #5 B1G #1 ACC #2 Big-12 #3
2004 - PAC #2 SEC #6 B1G #5 ACC #1 Big-12 #4
2003 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #1 Big-12 #5
2002 - PAC #2 SEC #3 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #1

Ave. - #2.9 - #2.4 -- #4.5 -- #3.5 --- #3.3 "

The numbers say the PAC-12 is #2.

The PAC-12 also had three of the top six ranked teams last year (USC, Stanford, Oregon)

What determines those rankings green?

I don't know that anyone was questioning the talent.

Bronco believes BYU would essentially have to go undefeated 2 seasons in a row to get a shot at the title. Very similar to 84.

But if their schedule continues to get tougher I think it could happen in one season. But no question even one loss pretty much kills any title hopes. Love it.

I got no beef with Sagarin but if that's your only measurement you're dumb. Unless I'm dumb and reading this wrong which is entirely possible cuz I don't like numbers.

Pac10 #1 in 2010? That group was more top-heavy than last year. You had Oregon and Stanford and that's it. That's your #1 conference?

Contrast that with the SEC and Big12 (you could even argue the Big10 above Pac10). Two top teams and then garbage after that does not a #1 conference make.

I'm just wondering how many more times green is going to post that idiotic number/stat/garbage. It would be one thing if it were funny, accurate, or even half-true, but sadly it's none of those. But seriously, you should keep quoting yourself, it's awesome.

Why are you going back 10 years? Isn't the only relevant year the one year Utah has been in the conference?
Apparently it's okay to live in the past if you're a Ute fan. But if a BYU fan ever brings up the past, all hell breaks loose. Consistency, gotta love it.

Apparently it's okay to live in the past if you're a Ute fan. But if a BYU fan ever brings up the past, all hell breaks loose. Consistency, gotta love it.

I'm fine with only going back a single year. We stack up fairly well against BYU in that historical period.

I think pretty much everyone on both sides does this, at their convenience.