What's new

BYU Football 2012

I don't know if the PAC is that bad though. Last year, they had three teams ranked in the top six. That is pretty damn good. If Utah could have not shistered the bed against Colorado, they would have been ranked....Washington is rising, and I bet WSU is on the upswing (they have a NFL QB, and one of the best WR's in the country). Out of UCLA, and ASU, one should drastically improve with their new coach, and Utah is a very, very good team.

So, I guess I can see your "top heavy" feeling, it is a very, very good conference.
When the majority of the conference sucks it is ok to say the conference in general sucks (I know plenty of Utah honks that will at least admit that). If you want to use a different definition that's fine. But the Pac12 sucks right now (compared to pac12 standards and where they usually are). I don't know of many people that won't admit that. I mean if you want to say they had 3 top teams that's fine but it's irrelevant in this context.

Your predictions on how the Pac12 will do next season may come true. I gotta think it can't get worse as far as overall performance. No where to go but up really.

No. No. No. You mid-tier PAC 12 bunglers are not good, will never be good. It's not shocking that you seem to think all these mediocre Pac teams are going to take a step up, the problem is as a long time follower of the PAC, I can tell you it never happens. USC is obviously going to be the mainstay, and Oregon probably has the next best chance to have staying power. Everyone else is fighting for 5-8 and the occasionally 3rd or 4th place finish. Which means when the novelty wears off, Rice Chex stadium will once again be half full, just like the glass has always been for Utah football if you're a fan, but not an outsider.

Keep saying it long enough and maybe it will come true.

Problem for you, and we've addressed this before, you are pretty much the worst prognosticator on this board. Any predictions you make almost always go the opposite way. In fact, I get giddy with how negative you are on Utah's future. Makes it almost a slam dunk that they will only keep rising.

Keep saying it long enough and maybe it will come true.

Problem for you, and we've addressed this before, you are pretty much the worst prognosticator on this board. Any predictions you make almost always go the opposite way. In fact, I get giddy with how negative you are on Utah's future. Makes it almost a slam dunk that they will only keep rising.

Wrong. 1 for 1 on the Pac 12/Utah front. About to go 2/2. When will this perfection stop? They only thing we've established is that I mentally refuse to evaluate BYU fairly most times, which is accurate. Which is why I've lost countless NCAA tournament brackets because I refuse to pick against BYU. It is what it is. But my thoughts on Utah? Take them to your local Zion's Bank and they'll give you all they have + send the armored truck over to your house every day. Money.

No. No. No. You mid-tier PAC 12 bunglers are not good, will never be good. It's not shocking that you seem to think all these mediocre Pac teams are going to take a step up, the problem is as a long time follower of the PAC, I can tell you it never happens. USC is obviously going to be the mainstay, and Oregon probably has the next best chance to have staying power. Everyone else is fighting for 5-8 and the occasionally 3rd or 4th place finish. Which means when the novelty wears off, Rice Chex stadium will once again be half full, just like the glass has always been for Utah football if you're a fan, but not an outsider.

I'll just keep presenting facts, and BYU fans will keep ignoring them:

This is nothing more than a BYU myth. BYU fan desperately NEEDS to show that the PAC-12 isn't very good, then they can believe that Independence is a good thing. The problem with this is, and it usually the problem with most myths via BYU fan, the facts. The facts say otherwise:

"After I read your post I was curious which two conferences were rated higher. I assumed the SEC was one of them, but I didn't think the Big-12 or the B1G have been better over the last decade. To find out, I went to https://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin-ar chive.htm#foot and did the math myself.

Over the last 10 years, the #1 rated conference was the SEC, with an average ranking of #2.4. The PAC was #2, with an average ranking of #2.9. The Big-12 was #3, with an average ranking of #3.3. The ACC was #4, with an average ranking of #3.5. The B1G was #5, with an average ranking of #4.5.

2011 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #7 Big-12 #1
2010 - PAC #1 SEC #2 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #3
2009 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #4 Big-12 #5
2008 - PAC #4 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #3 Big-12 #2
2007 - PAC #2 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #5 Big-12 #3
2006 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #6
2005 - PAC #4 SEC #5 B1G #1 ACC #2 Big-12 #3
2004 - PAC #2 SEC #6 B1G #5 ACC #1 Big-12 #4
2003 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #1 Big-12 #5
2002 - PAC #2 SEC #3 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #1

Ave. - #2.9 - #2.4 -- #4.5 -- #3.5 --- #3.3 "

So, as bad as the PAC-12 is, only the SEC is better.

p.s. you bring up attendance smack...did you see the empty stadium for those late night, November WAC games you guys had? Come on now.

USC and Oregon will be fine. Stanford will dip down but shouldn't be much. UW and/or WSU should rise. If that happens the Pac12 will be back where they normally are (#2 or #3 conference in the country).

Apparently BYU just secured a home and home with Wisconsin today starting next year. So now we have Texas/Georgia Tech/Utah/Boise State in Provo next year and Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Hawaii/Houston on the road so far.

Independence blows. It sucks having all of your games on ESPN. How are we ever going to make it through the next few years without some conference logo to worship?

2011 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #7 Big-12 #1
2010 - PAC #1 SEC #2 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #3
2009 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #4 Big-12 #5
2008 - PAC #4 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #3 Big-12 #2
2007 - PAC #2 SEC #1 B1G #6 ACC #5 Big-12 #3
2006 - PAC #3 SEC #1 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #6
2005 - PAC #4 SEC #5 B1G #1 ACC #2 Big-12 #3
2004 - PAC #2 SEC #6 B1G #5 ACC #1 Big-12 #4
2003 - PAC #4 SEC #2 B1G #3 ACC #1 Big-12 #5
2002 - PAC #2 SEC #3 B1G #5 ACC #4 Big-12 #1

Ave. - #2.9 - #2.4 -- #4.5 -- #3.5 --- #3.3 "

Why are you going back 10 years? Isn't the only relevant year the one year Utah has been in the conference?

Apparently BYU just secured a home and home with Wisconsin today starting next year. So now we have Texas/Georgia Tech/Utah/Boise State in Provo next year and Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Hawaii/Houston on the road so far.

Independence blows. It sucks having all of your games on ESPN. How are we ever going to make it through the next few years without some conference logo to worship?

I'll definitely be impressed if its a true home and home with Wisconsin. Everything I've read says that Wisconsins return to Provo isnt announced yet. It could still be a 2 for 1 or one and done, or something where Wisc schedules the return game for 2019 and eventually buys it out. Have you heard different?

Why are you going back 10 years? Isn't the only relevant year the one year Utah has been in the conference?

And who cares anyway? There is a set number of games in a conference, you are all going to lose and win some games. Some teams are going to have bad records, some are not. Always. Why should I give a rip if Stanford is a top 10 team based on beating up Duke, San Jose State, and then on a bunch of lower-tier Pac 10 cudgers? I don't. They were a top ten team once they beat SC. And that goes for any conference. You spend your season shifting through the crap, play your 2 or three tough games and la-te-dah you have a bunch of teams with mediocre records at the end of the year. You can't possibly argue that because 2 or 3 out of 12 teams in the conference were good one year that it means jack squat, especially when Utah is not often going to play all of those 2 or 3 teams because they are in seperate divisions.

I'll definitely be impressed if its a true home and home with Wisconsin. Everything I've read says that Wisconsins return to Provo isnt announced yet. It could still be a 2 for 1 or one and done, or something where Wisc schedules the return game for 2019 and eventually buys it out. Have you heard different?

No, I don't know anything different. I just saw a tweet talking about it.

Another question for Duck and other coug fans. Is byu going to be any good in 2013? Honest question, I dont have any idea. If not it could be a pretty brutal season. Probably the toughest schedule byu has ever had.

Wellllll, if we dont have anyone do anything stupid like try and leave early for the NFL (apo, van noy, hoffman) then we should be pretty good. We will be breaking in a new QB, most likely Taysom Hill the Stanford transfer who is supposedly a bigger, faster, better throwing riley nelson. So in theory we should be pretty good but its a toss up with a new QB.

Another question for Duck and other coug fans. Is byu going to be any good in 2013? Honest question, I dont have any idea. If not it could be a pretty brutal season. Probably the toughest schedule byu has ever had.

You are right about the schedule being brutal, but at least most of the tough games will be at home. I think byu will be pretty good especially at wide reciever, tight end, and running back. Van noy is very good so just having him at linebacker makes the middle of the defense pretty good. The d line will be a question mark, and the secondary is always a question mark, (in other words probably not very good). The kicking game i expect to be good as i expect sorenson to live up to his hype by then.

So i think that byu will be good enough to contend with all the tough teams on the schedule... having said that, i think that thier record wont be stellar due to the schedule, but most teams would not have a great record with a schedule like that. (just look at utah last year not even playing usc or oregon and still not having a great record)

You are right about the schedule being brutal, but at least most of the tough games will be at home. I think byu will be pretty good especially at wide reciever, tight end, and running back. Van noy is very good so just having him at linebacker makes the middle of the defense pretty good. The d line will be a question mark, and the secondary is always a question mark, (in other words probably not very good). The kicking game i expect to be good as i expect sorenson to live up to his hype by then.

So i think that byu will be good enough to contend with all the tough teams on the schedule... having said that, i think that thier record wont be stellar due to the schedule, but most teams would not have a great record with a schedule like that. (just look at utah last year not even playing usc or oregon and still not having a great record)

Utah lost to USC last year.