What's new

Calling PKM(Dr Jones) and Troutbum

The two coins are ~400 years apart and they were right next to each other? So if it isn't fake it's gotta be someone who collects coins, no? Seems fishy.

The fact that the coins are there is not fishy at all. The ONLY thing fishy to me is the fact that it’s been eight months and they still haven’t taken the 15 minutes to ask a professional coin collector if they are real or fake. Any coin shop in SLC could verify one way or another with little more than a glance.

I recently dug up a 1924 half dollar and ten 2000’s Lincoln cents in roughly a ten foot radius of each other. Maybe a bad example, but the point is the gap between the coin ages is not a concern - at least to me.

Hey man. There are so many hoaxes out there. And it’s impossible to ever know for certain where something was found/how it got there.

Having said that, I have personally found evidence of pre-Columbus European occupation in the Midwest.

I wouldn’t be surprised, even a little bit, to find that Domingues and Escalante weren’t the first Spaniards in southern Utah. In fact, I’ll say I believe they were not the first.

I have found a Spanish coin here in St. George (I think I posted a pic years ago), but it’s 1782 so not real controversial.

Hey man. There are so many hoaxes out there. And it’s impossible to ever know for certain where something was found/how it got there.

Having said that, I have personally found evidence of pre-Columbus European occupation in the Midwest.

I wouldn’t be surprised, even a little bit, to find that Domingues and Escalante weren’t the first Spaniards in southern Utah. In fact, I’ll say I believe they were not the first.

qrFI02F.gif

Most old-timers know I’m not LDS.. but am good friends with Rod Meldrum. His daughter, Shawna, worked for me as an intern and shortly after graduating.

Sidenote: Shawna is one of the brightest lights I’ve ever met. Smiling ear-to-ear nonstop. She was in a terrible mountain bike accident and it was REALLY bad. Prayers for her forever.

I’ve had healthy but intense debates (Rod and I). He having firmly implanted ideas and me being a third generation artifact hunter from the Midwest, mound-builders region.

I respectfully disagree with Rod’s takes, but also agree there is small evidence that supports his claims. In other words, there were people here before Columbus, but as someone willing to believe anything, the Midwest does not support the BoM.

I’m happy to share some details. Just not sure if anyone is interested, other than trolling
The problem is I find it difficult to imagine there can be a smoking gun piece of evidence that would definitely claim what you say, especially if said evidence is not part of any professional archaeological dig. If it is, please point to that particular study.

The chance of contamination in some shape or form is just too great to not take anything other than something that can be professionally published seriously.

@Dr. Jones What is your take on the story that Montezuma escaped Mexico and buried his treasure in south east Utah?

Last edited:
The problem is I find it difficult to imagine there can be a smoking gun piece of evidence that would definitely claim what you say, especially if said evidence is not part of any professional archaeological dig. If it is, please point to that particular study.

The chance of contamination in some shape or form is just too great to not take anything other than something that can be professionally published seriously.
I don’t disagree.. except I know what I’ve found and it’s real. I’ve never felt the need to try to convince anyone of anything in particular, though. All your same doubts I have too... much except for my personal finds.

What is your take on the story that Montezuma escaped Mexico and buried his treasure in south east Utah?
I believe Moteczuma sent warriors north toward the lands from which they emerged. I’ve seen little tangible evidence of where that might be. Something very curious, though, are the “key glyphs.” They are very old and number in the hundreds and are all in the area of Apple Valley to Johnson’s Canyon and a bit beyond.
Strange things is there are 300+ symbols in that area with only two others known to exist... one in AZ and the other just north of Mexico City.

I’m not trying to connect “those” dots, but it’s admittedly very curious.