What's new

Can Donovan be a Good Defender

Can he?

• Yes

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
CP3 is a valid point. The guy can't win big playoff games, but he's a good example of a small guy who is great on both ends. CP3, Stockton, and I can't think of many others who are top notch defenders while also being very important on the offensive end.
Kobe, Jordan, Pippen, Klay, Butler, Kidd. That without going into bigs.

Kobe, Jordan, Pippen, Klay, Butler, Kidd. That without going into bigs.
And frankly Hornacek was an underrated defender, because he was intelligent and knew his spots and could really hound the opposing guards, despite the fact that his knees were made of splintered balsa wood. He still rarely missed games and played hard on both ends every single game. He is actually a great example of how determination, intelligence, and effort can overcome physical limitations.

Dudes, there’s frankly quite an uphill slope between where Donovan is right now with his core defensive attributes, and those of an average defender. Like, if we reversed the situation and were talking about his jump shot instead, then it would be fair to say that it might be time to tear that ****er down and start rebuilding it.

When you’re ball-watching that much + biting on the kinds of moves he bites on .... **** gon broke.

And frankly Hornacek was an underrated defender, because he was intelligent and knew his spots and could really hound the opposing guards, despite the fact that his knees were made of splintered balsa wood. He still rarely missed games and played hard on both ends every single game. He is actually a great example of how determination, intelligence, and effort can overcome physical limitations.

Agree. he was somewhat a liability when his knee was shot but because his positioning and IQ kept him on the floor.

Well said. Donovan can get there if it is a priority for him. He has more tools than many decent defenders and he has the bball IQ as well.

Indeed. Not too tough to figure that one out.
I listed my analysis. Think it's pretty good actually.

It’s not bad. But I must nitpick....

For me, there’s no point in talking about athleticism or skills or physical profile BEFORE doing an analysis on WHAT the defender is paying attention to in the offense and how effective he is at maintaining his focus on these things as he goes about negating the advantage they give the offense. And, to that final point, he needs to be able to negate any advantage in the specifics ways the defensive scheme wants him to.

This is related to your IQ thing, but it is (I promise) less vague. And it also has the advantage of putting these issues front-and-center, rather than buried in a bunch of other less important things.

Mitchell is paying attention to the wrong things. His attention span is spotty. The scheme often breaks down at his position.
So why do I care about some other set of so-called “tools”??

It’s not bad. But I must nitpick....

For me, there’s no point in talking about athleticism or skills or physical profile BEFORE doing an analysis on WHAT the defender is paying attention to in the offense and how effective he is at maintaining his focus on these things as he goes about negating the advantage they give the offense. And, to that final point, he needs to be able to negate any advantage in the specifics ways the defensive scheme wants him to.

This is related to your IQ thing, but it is (I promise) less vague. And it also has the advantage of putting these issues front-and-center, rather than buried in a bunch of other less important things.

Mitchell is paying attention to the wrong things. His attention span is spotty. The scheme often breaks down at his position.
So why do I care about some other set of so-called “tools”??
U can't explain this to blind ppl me8